Zenith P50W26 flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zenith P50W26 flicker

Hello. I recently got an old Zenith P50W26 50" plasma display (10+ years, ~7000 hours used). It's technically not a TV. Anyway, it still works well, there are no problems with the image, but the entire display flickers like an old CRT monitor. The kind of flicker you can see better out of the corner of your eye. I notice it a lot more than other people I've asked. The flicker is much more noticeable on slow motion video which I can upload if anyone asks. This flicker is more apparent on brighter scenes and is independent of video source.

Va and Vs seem normal with a multimeter, but an oscilloscope shows some serious noise, especially on Va. Here are screenshots of the scope.
    http://imgur.com/a/qD1Va
    These are with a nearly white input. Is this ripple out of spec? Could it be a cause of the problem or a symptom of a bigger problem?

Nothing seemed visually wrong to me. I can take pictures and upload them by request. The service manual is easily available on the internet.

I do not have a capacitor tester. I could throw one together quickly with an arduino unless you think buying one would make more sense. I have access to a clamp current meter, a digital storage oscilloscope (50Mhz), an analog oscilloscope (100Mhz), an auto ranging DMM, a temperature controlled solder and hot air station, and basic electronic components on hand.

Re: Zenith P50W26 flicker

Mods, even though this is technically a monitor, it's more like a plasma TV. Do you think this would do better moved to the TVs forum?
    Last edited by natedawg1013; 06-18-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X