Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy solution for Intel D845PESV needed

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...oards/d845pesv

It seems some idiot pulled out the northbridge heatsink violently. I am looking for the easiest way to put it back... Any help welcome.

One more problem is the 3 failed KZG caps. The board does not boot at all. This is strange to me, as I have an Abit VL6 with nearly every cap on it bulging and/or leaking from bottom but it boots normally.. Do you think after a recap there are chances to work?
    Attached Files

Re: Easy solution for Intel D845PESV needed

Recap it and solder the anchors back in. That will cure all, it should work. If you don't have the anchors, harvest them from a scrap board or make them from leads you've trimmed off the new caps when you replace them.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

that board is toast.
      second pic, upper right corner directly below the CPU retention module.
      plus the ripped-off smd parts directly next to the northbridge

another piece of hardware killed by some idiot who knows nothing about this stuff

edit: judging by the dent in the ram slot, that idiot tried to pry the heatsink off with a screwdriver. maybe he didn't even meant to remove the chipset heatsink, but the CPU retention module (without even getting the white split-pins out)
      Last edited by Scenic; 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I feel stupid I didn't notice that before... Thank you... To bad for the poor mobo...

Yeap, he did the same thing at more than 10 motherboards in order to take the p4 cpus...

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
          that board is toast.
          second pic, upper right corner directly below the CPU retention module.
          plus the ripped-off smd parts directly next to the northbridge

another piece of hardware killed by some idiot who knows nothing about this stuff

edit: judging by the dent in the ram slot, that idiot tried to pry the heatsink off with a screwdriver. maybe he didn't even meant to remove the chipset heatsink, but the CPU retention module (without even getting the white split-pins out)
          I didn't catch that either. Just looked at the anchors and the caps.....lol

Yes, that board is a goner.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Btw I have that agp card that is tested and working but same idiot has removed its heatsink.

The gpu doesn't get too hot, I would like to add a heatsink though. How am I going to do this? There are no holes on the board to support a heasink.

Someone suggested me to put logo glue among gpu and sink. Is this safe or a completely crazy idea?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
              The gpu doesn't get too hot, I would like to add a heatsink though. How am I going to do this? There are no holes on the board to support a heasink.

Someone suggested me to put logo glue among gpu and sink. Is this safe or a completely crazy idea?
              I use Arctic Alumina:
              http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_a...l_adhesive.htm

I've attached oodles of random heatsinks with it. Good stuff. Smells awful when you're using it though (until it dries).

That's a GeForce2 MX card. Not all of them came with heatsinks, so you could likely run it safely with no heatsink. Of course, it's a good idea to add a heatsink if you're going to use it for anything beyond the windows desktop.

Comment

yyonline, that's exactly what I would be doing. I have some Arctic silver thermal adhesive. I've used it to stick heatsinks to a few FX5200 and FX5500 GPUs and a few northbridges when the fan fails or when the heatsink they come with is inadequate.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I found 2 more Intel D845PESV Boards.

The oldest of them has Nichicon HD and Nichicon HM (code H0319).
                  photo
                  The HMs of that motherboard are ok, but it seems they had problems with them, so on the next version they put Nippon Chemicon KZE, Nippon Chemicon KZG and Nichicon HD again.

But KZGs don't like heat, so they bulged...
                  photo
                  Finally on the most recent board (judging from the southbridge S/N) they put Rubycon ZL and MBZ.
                  photo
                  Too bad that every small cap on them is 85°C rated...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know that you can really go on manufacturing dates for the capacitor brand selection. I once assembled 3 computers using Intel 845 boards and the motherboards had sequential serial numbers. Despite this, each board used a different brand of caps. All 3 ended up having failed caps eventually (KZG and HM in various locations on the board) and all are still in service now after having been repaired.

Comment

dang... some people need to learn not to pull random heatsinks...
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                        Btw I have that agp card that is tested and working but same idiot has removed its heatsink.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                        dang... some people need to learn not to pull random heatsinks...
                        Btw, I used arctic silver thermal adhesive to attach a heatsink to that card.

I also found another gforce2mx 200, that has its stock heatsink on and decided to put a cooler on it cause it got very hot after some minutes of use..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X