Rubycon MCZ vs. SAMXON GC(M)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rubycon MCZ vs. SAMXON GC(M)?

VZ is not low ESR. So ESR isn't on the datasheet. You'll just need to match up ripple specs.

The SM data sheet doesn't list 8x15mm - are you sure it's that tall? If it's only 8x11.5 mm, then VZ will work fine:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1254-ND

Something like LXZ should be a slight upgrade from the general purpose SM, and is your closest match if it really is 8x15 mm:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1878-ND

Comment

You said G-Luxon SM,, not Nichicon.. They are not the same..
      http://www.luxon.com.tw/elec/radialsm.htm
      http://www.luxon.com.tw/elec/Product%20Word/SM.zip

Digikey ads have links to the data sheets. [So does Mouser.]
      http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1270-ND

VZ are okay caps but they are general purpose caps.
      - Already told you *I* would use Chemicon LXZ, LXY or Pannasonic FC, or Nichicon PW instead.
      - All of those are 'entry level' low ESR and are superior to VZ.
      - There are perhaps a dozen other 'entry level' low ESR caps that would work too but the ones I mentioned are what I usually buy.

""Do you either have more info on the VZ's, or know of a compatible Panasonic or Rubycon?""
      I don't stock GP caps and I'm not very familiar with their specs or series names.
      That means I'd have to read every GP data sheet to answer that question and I'm not going to.
      You can if you want to....
      *I'd* use one of the the ones I suggested. [That's why I suggested them.]
      Attached Files
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

The height [length] of a cap only matters if there is a clearance issue.
        The diameter only matters for clearance and lead spacing.

Except..
        When you are comparing one -series- to another, in which case you need to look at the same can size in both series.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

The size for these, after a good second look, appears to be a 1000uf/10v 8x12.5 G-Luxon SM series.

I'm seeing a lot of responses and recommendations, but the specs for a lot of the recommended caps vary widely. And some are general purpose, and some are low ESR. Sizes are different as well.

I'm not positive what to make of everything, but it looks like I'll probably do the Nichicon VZ series 1000uf/10v 10x12.5. It's wider, but by the sound of it as long as it fits, it should be fine. No one seems to care about the ESR here, as long as ripple is the same or higher (not sure why that doesn't matter in this instance...?)

Sound good?

(this is why this is confusing to me, and I'm usually great with technical crap like this, so I appreciate everyone's time)

Comment

That sounds like a good plan.

ESR doesn't "matter" in this case because the cap you are trying to replace is not a low ESR capacitor. It still has an ESR value, we just don't know what it is because it isn't published on the datasheet. It's not on the datasheet since general purpose capacitors wouldn't be used in an ESR-sensitive circuit. So we match the ripple handling ability, since that may be important for this capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
              The size for these, after a good second look, appears to be a 1000uf/10v 8x12.5 G-Luxon SM series.

I'm seeing a lot of responses and recommendations, but the specs for a lot of the recommended caps vary widely. And some are general purpose, and some are low ESR. Sizes are different as well.

I'm not positive what to make of everything, but it looks like I'll probably do the Nichicon VZ series 1000uf/10v 10x12.5. It's wider, but by the sound of it as long as it fits, it should be fine. No one seems to care about the ESR here, as long as ripple is the same or higher (not sure why that doesn't matter in this instance...?)

Sound good?

(this is why this is confusing to me, and I'm usually great with technical crap like this, so I appreciate everyone's time)
              8mm have a 3mm lead space [space between leads]
              10mm have a 5mm lead space.
              Can be made to work just realize you will have to form the leads and they will sit higher on the board.
              Leads should be bent such that there is no stress on the rubber plug in the end of the cap when the caps are installed.
              This prevents leaks forming along the path of the lead through the rubber.
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-02-2011, 01:20 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

There can be such a thing as too low of an ESR but the caps we have recommended won't cause that problem for you.

There is no such thing as too high of a ripple rating.
                If a cap were a resistor the ripple rated would be called watts.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Working...
                X