Replacing Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Bad Caps

Hi All, sorry for a noob question but here gos.. I have a Samsung 46'' 650 Series LCD tv with some bad caps. I had two replaced last year under warranty and now the other two are bulged out and need replacement. My question is if I take out a 1000uF 25v 105c capacitor can I replace it with a 1000uF 35v 85c and not run into other issues?? I went to Frys and Radio shack and this is the closest match I could find. Thanks for any advice

Re: Replacing Bad Caps

Originally posted by Gargiulo View Post
    My question is if I take out a 1000uF 25v 105c capacitor can I replace it with a 1000uF 35v 85c and not run into other issues?? I went to Frys and Radio shack and this is the closest match I could find.
    For a SMPS power supply (like your TV), it requires low ESR (ohms) caps. Frys and RadioShack do not carry low ESR caps.

General purpose caps are likely to be 85C and not suitable for your TV.

You can go up in voltage as long as the cap will fit (going up in voltage means the cap is possibly bigger).

You can buy a 1000uF 25V cap here at badcaps.net. See

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=140

Just make sure the dimensions fit your TV.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Going up in voltage is not a problem - BUT!

Need low ESR caps.
      Neither Frys nor Radio-Shack carry low ESR caps.

85c - Very bad idea. - Life will be short.

If you don't want to do this a third time in the next year or so then get the right caps.
      That might well include replacing what was replaced last time. [Even if they don't -look- bad.]

What is the uF, volts, size[diameter in mm], make, and series of the caps in there now?
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Yeah, what he said..... LOL

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          Going up in voltage is not a problem - BUT!

Need low ESR caps.
          Neither Frys nor Radio-Shack carry low ESR caps.

85c - Very bad idea. - Life will be short.

If you don't want to do this a third time in the next year or so then get the right caps.
          That might well include replacing what was replaced last time. [Even if they don't -look- bad.]

What is the uF, volts, size[diameter in mm], make, and series of the caps in there now?

It appears that the repair guy put in the correct ones.. 100uF 25v 105c; However they look like a different brand. So I take it as I shouldn't replace with the ones I just bought? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            For a SMPS power supply (like your TV), it requires low ESR (ohms) caps. Frys and RadioShack do not carry low ESR caps.

General purpose caps are likely to be 85C and not suitable for your TV.

You can go up in voltage as long as the cap will fit (going up in voltage means the cap is possibly bigger).

You can buy a 1000uF 25V cap here at badcaps.net. See

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=140

Just make sure the dimensions fit your TV.
            Thanks for the link! However it doesn't show the degree on the list?? 105c? It just says Low ESR. Thanks

Comment

as far as i know, there are no 85°C caps in the badcaps store. all 105°C.

Comment

Thanks for the link! However it doesn't show the degree on the list?? 105c? It just says Low ESR. Thanks
                All the caps in a given series will have the same temp rating.
                It's given in the data sheet for the series.
                Most places give a link to the data sheets.
                Seems Top Cat [site owner] assumed everyone that buys here is familiar with the data sheet info.

If you look at the top of each page there's a note:
                "Note that ALL the capacitors listed below are temp rated at 105*C."
                https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22
                https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23
                https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=24
                He doesn't say on the polymer page but presumably they are also all 105*C.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

It appears that the repair guy put in the correct ones.. 100uF 25v 105c; However they look like a different brand. So I take it as I shouldn't replace with the ones I just bought? Thanks for the help!
                  What brands/series did he use? We'll see if those should be replaced as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X