X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by etnietering View Post
    Well this thread has been inactive for a while - I think I'll awaken it with a new find of mine

I got 20 of these on ebay for 19 dollars. Not a bad deal, eh?
    Hitek T6000PSU-540
    5v - 10A
    12v - 1.5A
    60W max

Seems to me to be pretty good quality (especially since each one only cost a dollar!) The primary cap is a Hitachi HP3, and all the other electrolytics are NCC KY. Here's an overall shot:

It has an extremely complete input filter (better than the ones on quite a few ATX power supplies I've seen...) consisting of 2 X caps (and a spot for a third), 2 Y caps, 2 dual coils, another coil on the Hot line, a current inrush limiter, a fuse, and an MOV. One X cap is 0.1uF, and I can't read anything on the other, but it's probably 0.33uF or 0.47uF. The Y caps are 4700pF. It has a real bridge rectifier, too, which is rated for 4A @ 600v. The primary cap is 120uF @ 400v. Main switcher is a NEC 2SK2141, N channel MOSFET rated at 6A continuous, 24A pulsed, 600v. Here's a shot of the primary side:

It has 2 outputs: 5v and 12v. Makes it perfect for something that has both 5v logic and a 12v motor or something. Anyways, each output has a dual-diode pack. The 5v has a TO-247 package S30SC4M schottky, rated for 30A @ 40v (the rail is rated at 10A), and the 12v has a TO-220 package STPR1020CTP super fast, rated for 10A @ 200v (the rail is rated at 1.5A). Talk about overbuilding! Wow! Each rail also has a full PI filter. The 5v rail gets 2x NCC KY 3300uF @ 10v 12.5mm caps, and the 12v rail gets 2x NCC KY 1000uF @ 16v 10mm caps. Each also has a 100nF ceramic cap right up against the connector. Here's a picture of the secondary side:

I didn't take a picture of the bottom, but the soldering is nearly flawless. There's one part where it looks like there's a little bit too much solder, but it's not causing any problems. It has a 10 pin output connector - 2 12v's, 4 GNDs, 3 5v's, and one that's not connected. Overall, it looks like a very well made unit to me! And it comes with the IEC C14 power connector attached! Definitely good for all sorts of projects What do you guys think?
    Great Deal! Hmm...I think I'm going to go rummage through my old PSUs and see what I can find.

Comment

JJ-400ppga

Here a 400W PSU made by Jou Jye Electronic.
      I have recapped it because it looks well built, it has a passive PFC, a complete input filter, I forgot to take a pic of the case where another small PCB has another part of the input filter.
      I replaced all Capxon with Samxon, Rubycon and 2 Teapo, I left the 2 Jun Fu on the input.
      I checked the replaced caps: most of all were good, only 2 small caps 2,2uF 400V were completely ruined, I replaced them with Teapo... I had no other caps with such values.
      To be honest I didn't understood why there are those 2 caps: they are connected at the input bridge, between + and -, with 2 diodes and one 2 resistors and the common point is connected on one AC input pin of the bridge. It looks like a kind of "input filter".

Here some pics.

Ciao
      Gianni
      Attached Files
      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
      H. J. Brown

Comment

I am familiar with these power supplies. In fact I can have as many as I want for free, thanks to the 5vsb Capxon caps that always fail and make the psus not work anymore.

The circuit you mention seems to be a voltage booster.
        Here is a schematic I made:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1268165068
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1268166583

I think that the best thing to do is remove completely those 2.2uF 400V caps. They get really hot because of the resistors and it is a matter of time to fail, regardless what brand they are.

By removing them, you disable that circuit and the power supply gets noticeably cooler.

Discussion, photos and more info about Jou Jye psus here:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=66
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=8171&page=6

Comment

This should be same with yours:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=116

Comment

goodpsusearch the circuit is identical!!!

I thought it was a kind of filter due to the passive PFC.
            It will be very interesting to know the right reason why they put this circuit, I can't see any good reason.

from your post I read:

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
            There was much heat coming from the resistors and diodes after bridge rectifier and when measuring DC voltage, I got 350-360V!!!
            This is way above normal DC voltage generated after bridge rectifier in a typical psu.

So, the circuit among big caps and bridge in that JOU JYE psus boosts voltage when PC is off. With no fans moving, a significant amount of heat is produced, that leads to the board discoloration in just every same JJ psu I have seen...

I decided to put out the small 2.2uF caps and disable that circuit.
            Heat produced when psu is in 5vsb only mode is now negligible, and voltage is normal.
            I read you have removed caps to avoid useless power dissipation, I will do the same.

Thanks
            Gianni
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

Hey everyone,

I was so entertained by looking at random power supplies on this thread that I decided to bust open one of my own. This sucker was a pain in the butt. Dell likes to make things complicated.

Anyway, this is a power supply from a Dell Dimension 8100, which was released in 2001. It has as labeled peak wattage of 250W and was manufactured by Newton Power (Delta).

It definitley looks like a solid supply. I think the same speced supply could be made in about half the space nowadays, but hey, this supply is already 10 years old. It has 2 daughter-boards. One is for the transient filter, and one is a controller board of a sort.

Capacitors onboard:

-Nichicon LU @ 85°C (PFC/Input)
              -Nichicon PW @ 105°C (Filtering)
              -Rubycon YXG @ 105°C (Filtering)
              -Nippon Chemi-Con XY@ 105°C (Filtering)
              -Taicon (Controller board)

Enjoy!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TheLaw; 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I meant Nippon Chemi-Con KY.

I can't edit my post anymore...But for those too lazy to open up the attachments.

Last edited by TheLaw; 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Casecom ATX450W

Canicon 680uF 200V primaries.
                  Sapcon 1000uF 16V at +12V and +5VSB (before inductor) rails.
                  Sapcon 1000uF 10V at +5V rail.
                  Sapcon 470uF 10V at +3.3V, +5VSB (after inductor) and -5V rails.
                  Sapcon 470uF 16V at -12V rail.
                  D13007 primary switching transistors.
                  16A rectifier for +12V rail.
                  20A rectifier for +5V rail .
                  40N03 MOSFET for +3.3V linear regulator.
                  Four 2A diodes for primary bridge rectifier .
                  Non-approved Y-class capacitors .
                  Also has mystery "2005B" chip.
                  Some serious corners have been cut...
                  Attached Files
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

13007 Switchers always seem to go kaboom at about 300-320W on my load tester. My guess is that this would do something similar
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thats a sunpro safety series. AT2005B supports UVP, OVP, OPP, 3.3v and 5v correction.

Comment

Could someone delete the huuuge pictures I put in my post? They're a lot bigger than I thought and I can't edit them.

I don't want to murder anyone anyone on 64K.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                          Thats a sunpro safety series. AT2005B supports UVP, OVP, OPP, 3.3v and 5v correction.
                          Really? I don't see any "TB" (TeBao) markings on the transformers

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Doesn't mean it isn't a sunpro. Could use a older design transformer that doesn't have the TB markings, or the transformer itself was made by somebody other than Sunpro or at a different Sunpro factory.

Comment

Thermal Master TM-420 PMSR

Here's a Thermal Master TM-420-PMSR

Caps are all Sapcon (not sacon), CS, Fuhjyyu and JEE
                              2 X caps, 2 coils and 2 Y-caps on the input filter
                              Transformer says size 40, but it looks more like a 33
                              470uF input caps, 13009 knock of Switchers
                              20A schottky for the 3.3v, 30A for the 5v and a pair of 16A fast recoveries for the 12v.

OEM looks to be sun pro. It will do 350W, but it exploded after about 30 seconds at 420W

Last picture is the frame on the video where it blew up
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by c_hegge; 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

AM607B1 250W

I got that psu without its metal cover so I don't know anything about it except that it is 250W and "AM607B1" is written on pcb.

It has an ADDA fan that is very noisy, every cap on it is fuhjyyu and Teapo, none bulged and there are only 2 holes on metal case for the fan screws...

It works.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Just picked this one up recently. Real Power ATX 235U

Nothing spectacular to look at, has a weird texturized feel on the casing, might be because it hasn't exactly lived an easy life.

Cable count is typical for a unit this old, 5 molex, one main, 1 berg.

Fan shot. Easy because this unit exhausts into the computer. It's a 92MM U.S. Toyofan unit that puts out 43.8 CFM.

Label shot. Nothing spectacular. It's an old unit, so low on the 12V side of things.

Finally the guts of the unit. As you can tell by the transformer, what we're dealing with here is an old CWT unit.

Panasonic primaries, very dusty ones at that...

And now we get to the interesting part. As you can see, on the secondary is a forest full of Fuhjyuus and CapXon. Normally, in a unit this well used these would all have puked their guts out long ago. This is because the fan, as mentioned earlier, is an exhaust fan and not intake. This allows the unit to intake cool air and blow it down over the processor situated below it and, at the same time, keep the Fuhjyuus from becoming nothing more then little round cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Both PSUs are made by Lite-ON. You can tell by the UL number (E132068) written on the label and the Lite-ON marking on the transformer on one of the PSUs. Also, most Lite-ON PSUs will say "AMBIENT: 50C MAX" on the label.
                                    One of the PSUs (the one on the left?) looks like it has that brown glue that goes conductive - you might want to remove it as much as you can.
                                    I think you should keep the one on the right (the one with the OST caps). It has a slightly more powerful 12v rail. More clean, too. Just recap it.
                                    I thought Dell power supplies wre made by HiPro

Comment

Dell use a few OEMs. The ones I've seen have been either Hipro, Lite-on, Newton or Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                        Today a friend gave me a psu, asking me if I can examine it and find out why it stopped powering on his pentium 3 800mhz system.

I uploaded some photos...
                                        If you look at pic #3, theres a blown capacitor

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
                                          If you look at pic #3, theres a blown capacitor
                                          That psu is p.o.s. so the bulging cap is the last I cared about :P

Comment

Working...
                                          X