All-in-one PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-in-one PCs

A client of mine I met with today was talking about all-in-one PCs.
    I've been told that some people do not want them; instead, they want a separate system unit and if they want, a monitor.
    If something goes in an all-in-one PC (or a multifunction unit), parts can be quite hard to get.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: All-in-one PCs

^
    Agreed, they give you all of the disadvantages of a laptop PC (performance, ease of repairs and parts availability), AND the disadvantages of a desktop PC (portability). I hate them.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

knock on wood, my Asus EEE all-in-wonder dumpster find has been solid..
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I want one. I also want a new phone. But they're too expensive :-)
        My birthday was yesterday and I couldn't convince my uncle to buy a Nokia Lumia 900 :-) so I'll stay with my HTC for now and after a few web design clients I'll get me a new phone and an all in one touch screen PC :P

Comment

To be honest i like them, they make good office machines. For home use tho, i wouldn't buy one.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            To be honest i like them, they make good office machines. For home use tho, i wouldn't buy one.
            I agree. Mine got demoted to the workbench since I build the new office machine....but its still a damn nice machine. It phased out my last iMac. I also got one for my wife.....and all that started with a dumpster find. They function very well with XP on them.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              ^
              Agreed, they give you all of the disadvantages of a laptop PC (performance, ease of repairs and parts availability), AND the disadvantages of a desktop PC (portability). I hate them.
              Agreed, It's an interesting idea but they way they are built they're basically Laptops without a battery. That being said if space is a major concern the other options aren't much better. USFF systems have many of the same issues of running hot and proprietary parts, the only real advantage with a USFF is you can replace the "tower" without replacing the monitor and vice versa.

If you want a desktop and have the room for a full-sized (or at least mATX) tower/desktop that is definitely the best way to go. Standard parts, More expandable, runs cooler, etc.

If you want a something all in one a Laptop may be the best option, at least you get the benefit of portability when sacrificing serviceability, performance and upgradability; and these days the price difference between an all in one and a similarly speced. Laptop is minimal.

Comment

Working...
              X