Picture squeezed in then died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picture squeezed in then died

Okay I guess I talked to soon... Last night I had my monitor on all night I adjusted the display and worked great all night. This morning I have to Monitor running got about 3 hours and I am back to square one.

I have taken steps to find the problem. I have check the HV plug going to the Deflection lobes. I did see that most lobes have a silicone all the way around to keep the lope and copper coin from touching. I have both a brown silicone and white in the picture I am talking about the brown. Maybe the spot were I am getting problems. What do you think?

I have been able to power on my monitor without the back on. I have noticed an improvement. It has been on without the back for 2 hrs and counting. Overheating issue?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NormanSaxon86 View Post
      Okay I guess I talked to soon... Last night I had my monitor on all night I adjusted the display and worked great all night. This morning I have to Monitor running got about 3 hours and I am back to square one.

I have taken steps to find the problem. I have check the HV plug going to the Deflection lobes. I did see that most lobes have a silicone all the way around to keep the lope and copper coin from touching. I have both a brown silicone and white in the picture I am talking about the brown. Maybe the spot were I am getting problems. What do you think?

I have been able to power on my monitor without the back on. I have noticed an improvement. It has been on without the back for 2 hrs and counting. Overheating issue?
      Probably a bad solder joint somewhere on the board.

-Ben
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I have ran my monitor without the back and it did not turn off any idea why this would happen.

Also I sometimes get a green tint then it is fine.

Comment

Hello again everyone,

Well today I did a more trials on the CRT. I have found that running the monitor till it shuts off then taking the case off makes the CRT work again from a dead screen.

This is funny because I has worked 2 times and I have measured the time in which it takes to be ready to restart and I can unplug take cover off and re plug everything in less time and have the monitor work.

So what is wrong is my back case the problem I ran my monitor all day yesterday with no case I found it running like brand new.

I am thinking maybe the case is shorting out my monitor or something. I am the only one with this problem? I have been looking for answers and have come up with nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            Probably a bad solder joint somewhere on the board.

-Ben
            Hello
            I have been looking at the solder joints where I can I took the plastic cover and the monitor runs fine.

I want to avoid Removing the CRT Circuit Board From the Bottom of the CRT Neck. I could take pictures of the solder on the bottom of the Circuit Board. Would the monitor work with out the case if it was just a solder joint?

Comment

You already have 2 other threads on the issue with this monitor. In the future, I suggest keeping everything in 1 thread instead.

Advice has been given by other members already - check for bad solder joints on the main board (the small board on the CRT neck is likely okay). Big and hot-running parts attached to the main board are the most likely to have bad solder joints, so check those first. Any solder joint that looks dull, rough, or has dark rings around the component lead should be re-soldered.

Make sure your solder has a rosin core or add flux to the joint if it doesn't. Otherwise your solder joints won't be any good. I suggest a soldering iron rated for at least 30W, and at least 40W if you're not very experienced with soldering. Let the iron heat up good. It is much easier to destroy a PCB trace with an iron that is not hot enough than with one that is hotter than needed.

I could take pictures of the solder on the bottom of the Circuit Board.
              That would be a good idea. Pictures of the small board attached to the CRT neck are not needed, though.
              Last edited by momaka; 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Hey Momaka,

Thanks for the help and sorry for the other thread. The other thread is about running the monitor without the plastic cover. Which I am doing right now and have no problems with the monitor.

Thanks I saw some questionable solder joints on the main board. I have a Radio Shack special it have a low and high setting. I do not have a solder sucker I was thinking of how to remove the solder. What about Q-tips?
                I will let it heat up good and I will get some pictures of the board.

Comment

I have a Radio Shack special it have a low and high setting.
                  Any idea of the wattage? It should say it on the iron somewhere.You'll want at least 30W, 40W+ if not very experienced.

I do not have a solder sucker I was thinking of how to remove the solder. What about Q-tips?
                  You do not need to remove the old solder. Just add some more new solder.
                  Q-tips will burn when they contact the hot solder joint. Don't try it, it will just make your solder joint and the iron's tip messier.

Comment

It had to settings 15W and 30W it works well I re-soldered most bad joints today. I noticed a darkness to some areas of the board. I cleaned it all up and looks better. I took some pictures but I can't get any that are bright enough.

I put the plastic back on the monitor today still running good I think you were right the solder needed to be redone. Thanks

I had the screen squeeze one time but it turned back on in a splint second and is working fine. I plan to do some more soldering. And tips I do not have a solder sucker. I heat the metal and get it stuck to a metal poker then I clean it off. I use the q-tip with liquid to clean the area and move solder away.

Comment

It had to settings 15W and 30W it works well I re-soldered most bad joints today. I noticed a darkness to some areas of the board. I cleaned it all up and looks better. I took some pictures but I can't get any that are bright enough.

I put the plastic back on the monitor today still running good I think you were right the solder needed to be redone. Thanks

I had the screen squeeze one time but it turned back on in a splint second and is working fine. I plan to do some more soldering. And tips I do not have a solder sucker. I heat the metal and get it stuck to a metal poker then I clean it off. I use the q-tip with liquid to clean the area and move solder away.

Comment

Working...
                      X