Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung SyncMaster 216BW - CCFL's or Bad Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 216BW - CCFL's or Bad Caps?

How would I determine if the problem with my 216BW is bad capacitors or CCFL's?

My monitor used to flicker for a few minutes and then start working fine. After a few weeks of doing this then the backlight stopped coming on.

In testing it I turned the monitor on and shined a light on it. The monitor was displaying the colors as it should, but the backlight was not coming on. After I opened up the case and looked at the capacitors it looks like some of them are bad.

Are the capacitors bad if the tops are bulged at all? I felt the tops and six of my capacitors are bad, the five CapXon 820uF 25v's and a GL-brand P716 ( couldn't see its value because of how it was installed).

Do I need to worry about the CCFL's? I want to try replacing the capacitors but only if that is really the problem.

I have seen different viewpoints on what replacement parts I should buy. What is the best replacement I can buy for these capacitors?

Thanks,

Kent

Edit: I just plugged in my monitor after taking a look at the board. It still comes on with the blue power light. The LCD unit seems to work properly because the color still displays, but there is no backlight. Is this possibly a CCFL problem? Should I wait until I replace the caps and then see what happens? If it is a CCFL problem then I will probably throw the monitor away and get a new one. Thanks for all the help so far guys

\/ There is one picture of my board below \/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kent.Johnson; 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM. Reason: new question

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 216BW - CCFL's or Bad Caps?

No one is really going to be able to tell you that buying caps will solve your problem. They do look very bad so they definitely need replacing.

if you had a second opened monitor then you could check your faulty monitors CCFL's to see if they are ok. If they are ok then that doesn't meant that something else might not work when you change your caps though...
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
      No one is really going to be able to tell you that buying caps will solve your problem. They do look very bad so they definitely need replacing.

if you had a second opened monitor then you could check your faulty monitors CCFL's to see if they are ok. If they are ok then that doesn't meant that something else might not work when you change your caps though...
      I just want to know what people think the most likely problem is. It would be nice to know how to diagnose CCFL's, but whatever I can get is nice.

Comment

Yes, I agree that those caps are bulged and need replacing. With the exception of the large 450V one, I count a total of something like 9 smaller caps. You can replace them with Panasonic FR,FM or FC series caps available from digikey.com. You also need to understand that bad caps can cause other components on the board to fail. Replace the caps first and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
          Yes, I agree that those caps are bulged and need replacing. With the exception of the large 450V one, I count a total of something like 9 smaller caps. You can replace them with Panasonic FR,FM or FC series caps available from digikey.com. You also need to understand that bad caps can cause other components on the board to fail. Replace the caps first and go from there.
          I see how you counted nine, but I looked at the three small capacitors and they seem to be okay. The tops are not bulging at all. The 450 looks fine, like you said. It seems like just the six mid-sized caps are in need of replacing. Does that sound right?

Comment

To diagnose the CCFL's you need one that you know is working and go through removing one and trying your working one. If the monitor comes on and stays on for more than 2 seconds then you know the one that your have substituted is faulty or has a loose connection.

This would not help if you have 2 faulty CCFL's though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent.Johnson View Post
              I see how you counted nine, but I looked at the three small capacitors and they seem to be okay. The tops are not bulging at all. The 450 looks fine, like you said. It seems like just the six mid-sized caps are in need of replacing. Does that sound right?
              Regarding the small caps, see my standard answer (regulars may skip)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Kent.Johnson View Post
                One to two of those caps are used for starting up the power supply and it only makes sense that if six have failed, then you replace them all. It should run you another $1.50 to replace those three.The large one can generally be left alone as it runs at a lower frequency and rarely fails.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  Regarding the small caps, see my standard answer (regulars may skip)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
                  Thanks for your reply! It is definitely worth it to replace all of them at once. However, Do I need to replace the blue, circle shaped capacitors?

Comment

Nope they can be left for the moment.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for your guidance! I will be buying the capacitors and replacing them. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks jetadm123 for the purchasing suggestion!

~~Kent~~

Comment

Working...
                      X