X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/inverter.jpg

re soldered all my caps and mosfets and the buzz seemed to move
    linked a pick the what i now think is buzzing(what is it)

Comment

If you get it working, please post a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by singion View Post
        http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/inverter.jpg

re soldered all my caps and mosfets and the buzz seemed to move
        linked a pick the what i now think is buzzing(what is it)
        made it worse what ever that is i think i now need to replace it no more buzzing no more picture looks like inverter does not power up anymore due to me messing with that part

Comment

Originally posted by singion View Post
          made it worse what ever that is i think i now need to replace it no more buzzing no more picture looks like inverter does not power up anymore due to me messing with that part
          Try checking the 3 fuses on the inverter.

Comment

This thread is awesome! My situation is exactly the same as someone else described: found the monitor on the street, it turns on with the Acer logo and goes blank.

I was first suspecting the power supply because the 24 V rail turns off after about 4 seconds, even when neither the inverter nor the LCD controller board is plugged in. Is this also the case in your power supplies?

But then when I desoldered one leg off of each of the infamous 10 cap on the inverter board, it turns out that 5 of them show less than 1uF, 2 of them show about 20uF and only 3 show something close to the default 100uF. Bingo.

So, of course I have an issue with the inverter, but can someone confirm that in your operational/repaired unit the power supply also shuts down the 24v rail after about 4 seconds without the inverter & control board connected?

Comment

Originally posted by rafamart View Post
              This thread is awesome! My situation is exactly the same as someone else described: found the monitor on the street, it turns on with the Acer logo and goes blank.

I was first suspecting the power supply because the 24 V rail turns off after about 4 seconds, even when neither the inverter nor the LCD controller board is plugged in. Is this also the case in your power supplies?

But then when I desoldered one leg off of each of the infamous 10 cap on the inverter board, it turns out that 5 of them show less than 1uF, 2 of them show about 20uF and only 3 show something close to the default 100uF. Bingo.

So, of course I have an issue with the inverter, but can someone confirm that in your operational/repaired unit the power supply also shuts down the 24v rail after about 4 seconds without the inverter & control board connected?
              Good job of troubleshooting.

Designs can vary, but usually the power supply consists of a standby supply which is always on, and a main supply which is controlled by the signal board. It would not be unusual for it to shut down without the 'on' signal present.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hj folks
                I have the common problem with a acer monitor i was given. Acer logo for 2 secs.The screen was replaced and worked for 1 day so i opened it up and looked at the inverter caps.
                There was a rusty substance on four of them .Could this be the problem ??

BTW i.m a novice on these things.
                Last edited by folinsbee; 08-13-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by folinsbee View Post
                  Hj folks
                  I have the common problem with a acer monitor i was given. Acer logo for 2 secs.The screen was replaced and worked for 1 day so i opened it up and looked at the inverter caps.
                  There was a rusty substance on four of them .Could this be the problem ??

BTW i.m a novice on these things.
                  Maybe. There are two substances that could be called a 'rusty substance'. One is normal, one isn't.

It REALLY helps if you provide a picture using 'Manage Attachments' - below the test entry area.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

There seems a brown powder on the bottom of the cap.
                    Maplins in the uk has the caps only in 25V or 50v.
                    Are these any good?
                    Attached Files

Comment

There seems a brown powder on the bottom of the cap.
                      Maplins in the uk has the caps only in 25V or 50v.
                      Are these any good?

Yes, those caps are leaking. As a matter of fact, there are 10 of those caps on the inverter board and they should all be replaced. The input to the inverter is an unregulated 24V, therefore, a 25V cap won't suffice. The original caps are rated at 35V. Recommended brand/series replacement caps are below:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Comment

Cant seem to find them on the badcaps link.
                        What about these Hitano brand??
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Electro...item1c17b0e1fb
                        Last edited by folinsbee; 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Cant seem to find them on the badcaps link.
                          What about these Hitano brand??
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Electro...item1c17b0e1fb
                          I don't know the EHR series, but I'm sure it appears on the Hitano website.

I have used , and continue to use, Hitano EXR 105C low-ESR caps in monitor repairs. Haven't had an issue or come-back yet. I suggest going to their website and comparing series.
                          Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Hello,

I read all the thread and tried to understand it all, but it was very confusing.

So
                            I got my hands on an broken Acer al2416w,

Symptoms are:
                            When I turn it on the acer logo shows for a second, then everything is black,
                            but if I use a flashlight I can see that the monitor is showing the picture, just the backlight isn't working.

I opened it and all the capacitors and mosfets seemed fine, no burnt smell or anything.

What should be my first step?

If I understand correctly, it should be an inverter or ccfl problem,

should I replace the 10 35v 100uf capacitors on the inverter board?

Comment

I think that would be a very good place to start
                              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

And Rubycon ZLH should be a good replacement?

Found these in a local store https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~lv_lv/elfa...2-69&toc=19089

Comment

Originally posted by kasp1js View Post
                                  And Rubycon ZLH should be a good replacement?

Found these in a local store https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~lv_lv/elfa...2-69&toc=19089
                                  Rubycon ZLH is a very good choice. They will be physically larger than the original caps, but if you're careful, you should be able to get them to fit.

Also, check the 3 fuses on the board to verify they are good.
                                  Last edited by jetadm123; 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

help plz. I have this acer al2416w the problem is turn on but only yellow amber on. I tested the psu missing 24v and 12v. Only voltage show is 5v. The caps seem okie no blown up.

Comment

I'd just like to say thank you for providing all the information in this thread.

I had the acer logo problem and bought the bits from Mouser.

Changed all the caps 1st then got a different problem.

Replaced the mosfets and the fuses with 1.5a and everything is running perfect again.

Thanks again.

Comment

could someone help a poor soul and give a direct digikey or mouser part number for the 100uF capacitors.

I am having a terrible time finding the low esr capacitors in anything less than 1000 pieces

Thanks Chris

Comment

Originally posted by turtleking View Post
                                          could someone help a poor soul and give a direct digikey or mouser part number for the 100uF capacitors.
                                          If you mean 100uF 35V, Panasonic FC is in stock at digikey

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0294-ND/266303
                                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X