Sony 52V5100 TV - fuzzy picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 52V5100 TV - fuzzy picture

Working on my daughter's TV. Symptoms: no picture (black screen), no audio, when power on-backlight on for about 3 seconds-about 3 seconds later switch RY6101 on Power supply board clicks off. Read some Sony TV threads and did the following stuff: Checked F1 SMD fuse on the T-Con, 12.13v on one side and 1.44v on the other when the backlight is on. Resistance across F1 is 1800 ohms. Jumper across F1 with clip, no audio, and slow motion picture - looks like a refresh picture problem. The images seem to fade in/out slower than normal, looks like ghosting.

I don't have schematics, and this is the first LCD for me. Worked on CRTs a long time ago.

Need advise to fix the "slow motion" picture and audio.

Re: Sony 52V5100 TV - fuzzy picture

Found the audio problem, it was set to direct audio to a external amp, not the TV speakers. So I have audio. still researching the fuzzy picture.

Comment

Update: tried all of the tabs, no change in the fuzzy picture, still in slow mo.
      Help!

Comment

I'm working on a similar problem with a 46 inch sony. Blown fuse in tcon replaced now slow motion .it's a tcon problem. May not be repairable if it's a main processor on the board.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks. I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. May try a new T-Con board.
          We have might have a Sony repair center here so I think I may visit them.

By the way, I did replace F1, the LF 7a SMD fuse, with an equivalent barrel fuse, no one here had SMD fuses.

Comment

Update: The Sony service center does not have the T-Con board and does not intend to keep a stock of this board. I asked if the refresh is controlled by the T-Con, the reply was that the Main Board controls the refresh. The service center does not stock the main board either. I intend to take an better look a my TV main board now.

Comment

Doubt your mainboard is an issue. if your fuse is blown on your t-con there's something wrong with the t-con board. Yes the main board controls the picture that is sent to the t-con including the refresh rate but the t-con controls the constant refreshing of the screen and motion flow processing so they might have told you something but got it confused with something else. There's definitely something going on with that t-con board.

quick question is the motion smeared on both sides of the screen or is it more on one side it doesn't seem darker on one side of the screen?
              Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-11-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Seen a few various sets with this slow refresh image retention effect...

It was the panel itself in the ones I had--replacing T-con did nothing to the fault...
                TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Just reinserted the main board. The motion seems smeared uniformly across the entire screen. The only clear images are the parts that don't move, like the score of the hockey game. I have photo but don't know how to post to this thread. Failed to mention earlier that the initial power on screen is full of white vertical lines that go away once program video frames start.

Tested as many fuses on the main board as I could identify, all seemed good. Some were really small, been a long time since I worked on a PC board.
                  Last edited by nittamk; 12-11-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I'm still 99.5 percent confident that it's your T CON board still .I've been dealing with Sony's and tcon problems the last couple months. its most likely a processor issue somewhere located within the phase loop lock portion of the processor for motion flow. I've come to the conclusion on my board that the processors faulty. I've spent too much time on these boards trying to figure out why so I've come to the conclusion that it is the same problem on three of my sony lcd tVsall of them have the motion blur that you're talking about. I do have one good bored and I've tried it in all three TVs and the problem was cured.so that's why I'm confident that if its uniformly blurry across the screen and you did blow fuse on your T CON that is the problem. this problem presents itself in the same fashion as a bad connection problem in the panel but the only difference is that when you have a bad connection on one of the ribbons going into the panel itself usually it presents itself with the screen non-uniform and smearing and darkon half usually either the right or the left side but since this problem is all the way across the screen it is not a panel issue but more at con board motion flow problem
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I'd try a tcon first, since they are the cheapest, sometimes 10-30 bucks.

Comment

I'll start looking for a T-con.
                        Thanks everyone. Will update when I get some results.
                        I'm curious, can I get a new processor and change that on the T-con board? The last time I really played with electronics, there were tubes in the TVs.

Comment

Retract my curiosity. I just took a close look at the two bigger processors and looks impossible to remove let alone reinstall. So, dumb question.
                          Also my comment on "tubes" seems out of place, I did some googling of "freakaftr8", it seems that you young guys (I'm more than twice your age) are really into old electronics. An RCA CTC-11? Really?
                          Last edited by nittamk; 12-13-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Yea that's one of my other hobbies. Lol. I fully restored an RCA CTC-16 a few years back and had performed cataract surgery on badly deteriorated PVA material that they put over the round color 21FJP22 CRT if you remember seeing how you get the halo effect on some of these screens well it turned out perfect and I donated it the TV to an antique Emporium for display. after recap the power section and some minor tweaks and new tubes I got that sucker looking pretty good. I'm a pro now at convergence. sitting with me here at home I have also a Sony KV 3000 R very rare TV made of tamo ash wood with folding electronic tambou doors. That one needed some work in the high-voltage section including a horizontal output transistor. Got it from Hollywood and was told it was somebody's TV that was famous but you know how that goes. Lol

Comment

Update: Got a replacement t-con today, installed and it .......WORKS!!!
                              No more slow motion. Everything seems good.
                              Got t-con from Tri-State Module Inc total $48. Probably could have found a lower price but ran into a lot of "out of stock", TSM said they have about a half dozen in stock, ordered on 12/29 so came pretty quick.
                              THANKS EVERYONE, FOR ALL THE HELP!!!.
                              Just started working on my cinemin swivel projector, it has thousands of black dots and wowwee is not supporting it any more, will create a new post soon.

Comment

I wish I could find a T-Con for my Sony. If anyone runs across a 55.46T02C05 or 55.46T03.C03 please let me know!

Comment

There's lot of them in Ebay, purchased mine from ebay and it was okay.

Comment

Slow motion smeared picture is loss of the VGON voltage on the T-CON Bd. However, this symptom can be manifested if there is loss of the VGON signal from X-Bd/Source Bd at the bottom of the Panel to the Y-Bd /Driver Bds at the side of the Panel....There is a 'Bypass Method' used to fix this issue.
                                    Last edited by Andrew F. Ali; 12-09-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                                      Slow motion smeared picture is loss of the VGON voltage on the T-CON Bd. However, this symptom can be manifested if there is loss of the VGON signal from X-Bd/Source Bd at the bottom of the Panel to the Y-Bd /Driver Bds at the side of the Panel....There is a 'Bypass Method' used to fix this issue.
                                      What is the bypass method? I have a Sony KDL46XBR6 that's doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                      X