Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

must say I've worked on a lot of tvs but this brand takes the cake. Absolute garbage product - almost not worth tinkering on. next thing we'll see is tvs rolled up in a sleeve at the store - just unroll and paste on any wall !
    Last edited by ajshoe; 11-03-2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

wonder how long Westinghouse will continue to build these sets with the cable shorting out on the metal bar ?? This should have been a recall - Absolute joke of a tv set.

Comment

Does anyone still have any spare ribbon cables? The ebay suppliers seem to have dried up...

Comment

I might. PM me?

Comment

I'm working on one of these too. The ribbons cables look ok, both led sides quit at the same time, neither side light up with the other side unpluged. So I suspect the dc-dc converter is not working, or disabled by a short. I only see the PS 19v passing through the converter circuit. I think the boosted voltage at the UC3843 should be 32V or more, has anybody measured the proper LED string voltage?
            Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Bender88 View Post
              I'm working on one of these too. The ribbons cables look ok, both led sides quit at the same time, neither side light up with the other side unpluged. So I suspect the dc-dc converter is not working, or disabled by a short. I only see the PS 19v passing through the converter circuit. I think the boosted voltage at the UC3843 should be 32V or more, has anybody measured the proper LED string voltage?
              Thanks,
              Have you disassemble the LCD screen and check both end of each ribbon cables? I have measure the voltage going to the LCD strings, +54v on a working unit. see picture
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone! I have the same TV and it just randomly shut off and won't come back on. No power light. I took the back panel off assuming it was the led ribbon(s). With the back panel off I plugged in the power and could hear a slight chirping or surging sound. I removed one sides ribbon cable. Sound continued. So I plugged that ribbon back in and removed the other side. Sound continued. So I removed both cables. Sound still continues. Any idea on what I could try next? Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by akatehpa1n View Post
                  Hello everyone! I have the same TV and it just randomly shut off and won't come back on. No power light. I took the back panel off assuming it was the led ribbon(s). With the back panel off I plugged in the power and could hear a slight chirping or surging sound. I removed one sides ribbon cable. Sound continued. So I plugged that ribbon back in and removed the other side. Sound continued. So I removed both cables. Sound still continues. Any idea on what I could try next? Thanks everyone.
                  That sucks, have you checked the capacitors for any signs of damage? I think some others have had this as the problem.

Comment

I had the same problem with the same TV. I took it apart and the main board looked okay. I unhooked the two cables to the LED panels and the TV powered-on (but was very dim and I needed to use a flashlight to see the image). I then plugged-in the LED panels one after the other and found there was a problem with the right LED panel.

I took the TV apart and the right LED panel looked fine, but I found a short in the cable. The cable's insulator was worn through where it wraps around the aluminum heatsink of the right LED panel. I wrapped the cable with electrical tape and reassembled the TV. It works perfectly now.

This problem with the shorted LED panel cable is so commonplace that I wouldn't be surprised if the designers planned this flaw. As the LED panels warm and cool during normal use of the TV, they expand and contract so that the cables in close contact with the panels rub against them and are eventually worn through.

Anyway, I'm grateful for this forum. It's one of the first places I look to if I'm working on unfamiliar electronics with an unfamiliar problem.

Comment

If anyone wants more info on how to fix this TV LED back light issue look up my video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdvWFa_NG7g

Comment

Use sand paper to clean the ribbon.

Comment

can someone please see me what Q27 is, it is burnt on my board and would love to identify it

Comment

Originally posted by inothome View Post
                            Excellent! I had someone bring me this TV, DOA. Found a burned up MOSFET "Q27" on the main board. Upon replacement you can hear the power supply cycle on and off, with the right side LED ribbon disconnected it would power up. Half screen dim of course. Did a search, found this thread, put some tape on the frame of the LED strip where the ribbon cable rubs and TV is now fully functional! Thanks guys!!

Not 100% sure if this is what caused the MOSFET to fail in the first place, or having the TV apart and moving it caused the ribbon cable to wear and short out. Regardless, it's working. When I received the TV the red light would light, but nothing else. After Q27 replacement it wouldn't do anything, but cycle the power supply, unless the right LED ribbon was unplugged.
                            had the same issue thou I bought the Mospet of ebay from china install it but do nothing I wonder if I got the right mospet? would you mind telling me where did you buy yours? or what part number should I search for?

thanks

Comment

im not sure im still waiting for my parts to get in i ordered Fairchild FDS4435BZ
                              but somewhere i read a post saying that FAIRCHILD was the won

Comment

Yes, the Fairchild FDS4435BZ is the part I used. I also had to tape up the shorted ribbon cable, if I remember correctly.
                                Not sure where I got the part. Try Digikey, Mouser or Newark.

Comment

So, add me to the long list of people with a dead 46" westinghouse TV. Been reading this thread and have verified that one of the ribbons leading to one of the led strips is the culprit. Sound familiar? I'm convinced I have to replace the ribbon as there is no slack at the connection at the led bar to affect a repair (getting electircal tape between the ribbon and the bar) without completely dissembling the tv. In which case I would prefer to replace the ribbons

My question is this: The end of the ribbon at the board is easy to detach/reattach with the little flip up/ flip down clip thing. The end of the ribbon at the led bar, on the other hand, I have a hard time seeing the same sort of connection from the ribbon to the led bar. I haven't completely dissamebled the tv to get the ribbon free. Is there a same clip holding the ribbon to the led bar as at the board. or is this a different type of attachment of the ribbon at the led bar, such as glue or solder?

I'm not prepared or equipped to do a micro solder repair if that's the case. Glue I guess i could do. Anyone have specific knowledge regarding what I am confronted with.

Thanks everyone for carrying this thread. It's remarkable the power and value of having this forum to allow dissemination of information needed by people scattered all over the place.

Comment

Yep, there's a clip - no glue or solder. BUT the second time around (got another one of these TVs) I was too confident in the solution, ordered the part, and broke the damn connector on the LED bar. So be REALLY careful when removing it and plugging the new one in!!

Comment

Just wanted a post an update to my attempt to fix my dead westinghouse.

I had the bad ribbon cable at/near the connection at the led bar. So I tried to just separate the ribbon cable from the metal bar by inserting something behind/under the ribbon but was unable to get that side of the tv to illuminate. Decided to go online an buy the ribbon cable and attempt to replace them. Found them online delivered for approx $22. In my mind, my choices were to (1) live with the tv with only one half the tv illuminated. Not awful, but also not particularly good. (2) junk the tv and buy a new one (what? $500 +/-). (3) Spend the $22 and attempt a repair.

Decided to give it a try for $22.

So, those of you who know about this know that to replace the ribbons in the same manner as they originally are requires completely dissambling the tv. One other guy on this thread tried to replace the cables by not separating the panels and instead running the cables over the metal case and making a hole directly below where the cable connects to the led bar. Decided I had nothing to lose by trying this and, well, it worked! Simply drilled a hole in the metal case directly below the ribbon connection at the led bar. Cleaned up the hole, lined it with tape and ran the cable to it and back to the board. Taped it down along the metal case. Did decide to cut part of that long black plastic strip that covers the led bar. If you've taken yours apart you know what i mean. Cut about 2 inches off the end so that it didn't interfere with the ribbon cable at the led bar connection point. Tested the tv before putting everything back together. Was VERY careful with the two ribbon connection points. These are very delicate connectors. Voila, TV is back together and working normally.

$22 and my time spent to restore the TV to new. That deal works for me.

Thanks for this thread. Couldn't have figured it out without you all.

Best regards, Mike

Comment

Add another one to the list. I've been watching a Craigslist ad for over a month regarding this set that wouldn't power on. They wanted way too much for it. I called on it this morning and made them an offer I was comfortable with. They accepted the offer and a couple hours and two pieces of tape later and I have a working TV. This is the single most useful forum I have ever belonged to.

Comment

I have one of these panels laying around here. Any one know what make/model this might fit comfortably in ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X