Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Plasma Red Screen Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Plasma Red Screen Issues

Will this also work for my 65 inch TH Panasonic plasma and why do I only get the red pixels when I turn off external scaler mode. I'd appreciate your help thank you

Comment

Re: FIXED!! Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Plasma Red Screen Issues

First time posting on this forum, but had to.

Today, my brother-in-law and I decided to try to fix the same issue with our Panasonic (red where should be black). Neither of us are TV guys, but we love computers, so said WTF and went for it.

I am attaching images of where we found the loose connector, in case any other n00bs decide to try this at home. Remember, electricity is dangerous, so make sure your device is unplugged!

Anyway - HUGE THANKS to the posse that posted here. TV is working fine tonight, kids have been on it for hours.

Originally posted by consult20 View Post
      Tom,

You were spot on with the problem, it was a connector on the main logic board that had come loose. I had to remove the A board and bracket in order to get to the D board (logic board). I noticed immediately one of the connectors wasn't fully seated, so I simply plugged it back in securely and re-assembled the A board with a couple screws, and it's been working fine for over an hour. It had gotten to the point where it would go "red screen" within 5 minutes, so I'm very confident that it's now fixed.

Thanks for your help, and everyone else's suggestions as well!

It's too bad Panasonic didn't use connectors with the small clips to hold these in place better -- they use them on some of the connectors but not all.

Thanks again, I'll post an update tomorrow after it's been on for several more hours, just to confirm this was the problem.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi all,

I have the red screen also & before I start - would just like to check, is it ok to lay my plasma TV screen down on some carpet to work on it ?
        Or do I have to keep it upright ??

Thanks

Comment

Should be fine in the carpet or up right, best for that fault to keep it upright to see if moving the Lvds solves the issue.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

If needed, I have every board to that model except for the psu. The tv had a black vertical band that the helpful people here said was a panel fault.
            So I took all the boards out and threw out the pNel.

Comment

Just had a good read thru all this. I havent came across this set/fault yet but just wanted to say to all you guys who shared the pictures and knowledge. Cracking info. Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks to all that shared info on this thread, after a light clean/vacuum and reseating the connectors that looked similar to the ones in the pics shared earlier - my 65" is a good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by topmick View Post
                  Hi all,

I have the red screen also & before I start - would just like to check, is it ok to lay my plasma TV screen down on some carpet to work on it ?
                  Or do I have to keep it upright ??

Thanks
                  I laid mine face down on carpet and pulled back off and got busy...Still working since April 2014. A friend of mine has seen this before with other Xray scanner equipment heating up causing expansion and connectors to work apart. I keep looking fro plasmas on the side of the road I can fix with the issue, LOL.

Comment

Just did this tonight, thanks for all the great info and pics. So far, so good. Manufacturing date August 2008 and still looks great 8 years later.

Comment

Thanks all. Mine did this yesterday and I thought it was hosed. I was all set to buy a smart TV when I found this site and lo and behold it was the connector mentioned previously.
                      Snowmaker77 has two pictures of the cable/connector. It is smack dab in the top center of the board that houses the RGB/composite/HDMI/RF connectors.
                      I gave the board a slight tap below the connector and all was good in the world. I pulled it off and replaced it a few times in case there was any oxidation.
                      The connector, as others have pointed out, has no locking mechanism to prevent it from pulling off again

Comment

I forgot to add that I pulled the back off with it standing. Not a problem. There are a lot of screws. 5 different types if you include the 4 screws meant for a wall mount. It took longer to take the back off then it did to re-seat the connector

Comment

I have a Soniq 50" QSP550Tv2, with the same problem... would it be pretty similar as the Panasonic ?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                            It's a high speed digital data link encoding the individual pixel data. If the connection is loose, an impedance mismatch is created, which causes a reflection (think of a water tank: if the end of the tank is a solid wall, the signal (wave) will get reflected back, but if it's a matched end, no reflection is created.) This causes distortion on the signal causing your problem.

As for why it happens, I suspect it's related to it not being correctly seated at the factory and slowly working itself loose from thermal expansion.
                            This is a very believable explanation, but/and the only decent one I can find after reading 100+ threads on the subject.
                            Can I ask where you got this insight?

I assume this will be similar for different brands. My LG had this red mist issue, it disappeared for 3 months of intensive useage after a load of soldering possible dried joints and reseating connectors and it reappeared. Supposedly (but poorly documented) the only fix is buying a new control board.
                            When combining the bit issue with the new board theory, I end up with a bad connector or so.
                            It has a fine pitch connection to the YSUS that I reheated with difficulty. And it has three much finer pitched connectors to three pcb's at the bottom of the screen. No chance of resoldering those without messing up.

Are these three likely the culprit or would this only affect 1/3rd of the screen? (I have no clue what those pcb's do)

Comment

I had the red problem on a Panasonic plasa 50" THX manufactured in 2008. It has been working great and started to develop the problem after about 10 years. It would happen as the set got hot after a couple of hours use or if the ambient temperature was higher. Putting a fan behind it helped but eventually it started to take the medium or high speed to deal with it. The noise finally annoyed us too much and I took off the back to have a look based on what I saw here. There are a lot of screws holding it together!

I found a red cable with metal connectors that would toggle the red when pushed a bit with a wood stick. I ended up pulling out the connector and re-seating it. It was the cable with the multiple red wires that mounted into the board facing backward near the connectors. The backward facing connector was fine but the cable went over the board and into the top of the board behind and that is where the problem was located. Visually it didn't appear to be a problem but there was an issue.

I blew out the unit with compressed air and vacuumed in addition to re-seating the connector. It ran for hours with no issue and is working great. Thanks for the help here. I should have done this a long while ago.

Next is solving my Onkyo HDMI problem. Certainly there will be a thread about that!

Comment

Great thread thanx, I have a p46 G20 I think I took it apart before but it looks like a similar problem this summer, except mine works fine once it's warmed up. Is anyone else still watching on plasma in 2023 ����

Comment

Originally posted by Simonp89 View Post

Great thread thanx, I have a p46 G20 I think I took it apart before but it looks like a similar problem this summer, except mine works fine once it's warmed up. Is anyone else still watching on plasma in 2023 ����
                                  Yeeeeeahhhh Baby Nov 2023!!! lol. Love my 50 inch plasma! Having red mist issues now, so will look into taking cover off later to nosey.

Comment

Working...
                                  X