Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troubleshoot a Dell 2209wa (will not stay on after flickering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Troubleshoot a Dell 2209wa (will not stay on after flickering)

I would tend to go with white/clear epoxy rather than superglue but no experience on gluing those.
    No idea on the dust problem - hopefully someone that has done this before will chime in. - If they dont you could try raising it as a separate thread.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I remove dust just by blowing strongly or with some cloth that is lint-free. If you don't see black spots it is not a problem.
      Last edited by elagil; 11-06-2014, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys.

So it seems that this Dell is another design.

I didn't see any wire and to be honest I can't figure out how this rubber thing is supposed to make the connection between the bulb and the inverter.

Have you ever seen somthing like that ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Was there no metal on the end of tube - maybe it has just burnt away, Can you see
          metal on the other tubes. I have never seen one but putting together all the pictures it looks like the end of the tube with either a metal end or wire protruding sits in the square hole in the rubber as seen here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1415024241 then the metal pegs (shown here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1415024241 (attached to the inverter) push in at the end and touch the wire /metal end.
          Last edited by selldoor; 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Yes there is metal at the end of the tube.

But on this picture I don't see any space where it can connect with the inverter's metal pegs.

I think I should disassemble another rubber tube connector to figure out the difference but since I broke another plastic attachment , I'm still wondering how I'm supposed to do so. (see 2nd pic)
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok in this pic looking down onto the end of a lamp in its socket< does the tag that is connected to the inverter board slot into it. Cant tell where the glass ends and the wire begins but I am thinking it will just push in and touch the wire or push down between the end of the wire and the back of the rubber bung.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by selldoor; 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Not sure to understand your question so I took two more pics.

On the second picture, its the rubber slot upside down.

By "wire" do you mean the metal end of the tube ?
                Attached Files

Comment

OK Sorry you must understand I have never seen one of these before
                  The pics in the above post are from the panel side and the white moulding with the black scorch goes over the end? yes?
                  If so the metal tags must come through from the other side?
                  Yes by "wire" I mean the bit that sticks out of the end of the tube. I will refer to is as metal from now on.
                  Another question on picture
                  Attached Files

Comment

I totally understand It's hard for me to explain with my bad quality pictures and new vocabulary for me.

I drew some sort of schema with my amazing paint skills , let me know if that answers your questions.

LATE EDIT : I added a pic to show where the metal end of the tube fits. The problem is, I don't see how it can contact with the inverter.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by prdp; 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Ok your pictures are great its just hard to explain when I didnt really know how it fits together .
                      You now know how the tags on the board go through frame through the rubber and touch on to the metal ends of the lamps - Yes? or No?

The tags (I believe ) are on the bottom of the inverter board - under the opaque plastic Yes? or No?
                      See Pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

And it seems to be a very uncommon design

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        You now know how the tags on the board go through frame through the rubber and touch on to the metal ends of the lamps - Yes? or No?
                        I don't know how the tags* can touch the metal ends of the tubes no.

Unless this "rubber" slot is actually made of conductor material Is it possible ?

*here we are referring to the metal connectors on the inverter board, right?

The tags (I believe ) are on the bottom of the inverter board - under the opaque plastic Yes? or No?
                        See Pic
                        Yes !
                        Last edited by prdp; 11-14-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Well - cut something the same size as a tag, get a rubber block and see if there is any way it will push through to where the wire would be.

Test the rubber block for resistance just set your meter on ohms 200 and press the
                          edges of the probes onto the rubber (Dont use the points last thing we need is damaged rubber)

I am off to bed now but will look in tomorrow. We can alway pm elagil and ask if we are stuck his was very similar with tags and rubber.
                          Last edited by selldoor; 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Actually I tried with the inverter tag itself to see how the contact was made, and couldn't see it goes through.

I don't have a multimeter at the moment so I hope elagil can help us on this

EDIT : Damn, we had the solution since the beginning

Originally posted by elagil View Post
                            Yes actually the connectors are made of a special type of rubber which is conductive. This rubber might lose contact over time and cause arcing which leads to audible noise and charring.
                            Now, I will take a picture tomorow, but I'm afraid the faulty connector is too badly damaged...
                            Last edited by prdp; 11-14-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Epoxy rules ok!

Comment

Sorry for the picture quality again. Basically, the arcing damaged the part where its touching the metal of the tube.

So you think I can fix this with epoxy ? I never used this before.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I thought you meant the plastic bit - I can see that is broken in one picture.
                                  Whilst you can buy conductive epoxy, I dont think it would work.
                                  There is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wire-Glue-...78f71#shpCntId

Perhaps send a message and ask if it will stick to conductive rubber.

Other ideas - is there any way you could solder a wire to the metal on the bulb and
                                  get it out through the frame to the inverter board ( to supplement the rubber and tag
                                  not replace it)
                                  Does the damage mean the metal on the tube doesnt make contact with the rubber.
                                  do you thing wrapping the metal with wire and soldering in place would increase the size
                                  enough to make it have better contact with the rubber.

Did you test the rubber get - meter on ohms to see if it is still conductive between where the metal on the bulb touches to where the tag touches.

Comment

is there any way you could solder a wire to the metal on the bulb and
                                    get it out through the frame to the inverter board ( to supplement the rubber and tag
                                    not replace it)
                                    That seems a bit complicated due to the space available.

Does the damage mean the metal on the tube doesnt make contact with the rubber.
                                    I think so. That would explain why the monitor switches to a safe "mode", and would correlate elagil's words :

This rubber might lose contact over time and cause arcing which leads to audible noise and charring.
                                    do you thing wrapping the metal with wire and soldering in place would increase the size
                                    enough to make it have better contact with the rubber.
                                    I'm not sure how to do that but I think you are talking about the same idea elagil had on another topic :
                                    I also ended up wrapping one end of the tube in copper wire to widen it a little. That made perfect contact.

I pm'd him, I'd like to have more details on this
                                    Last edited by prdp; 11-17-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Sorry for not paying attention.

I used some solder wick: http://www.hobby-bastelecke.de/bilde...loetlitze1.jpg

I cut a small piece (like 1cm) and folded it so that it formed a "V". I placed that piece of solder wick on the rubber part with the point of the V facing towards the cutout from above.

Then I took the tube and pressed its wire inside the piece of solder wick until both the wire and the piece of solder wick were hidden inside the rubber piece. This added material helps to make better contact.

I hope the explanation helps you imagine how it can be done. You can use any other conductive material. Copper might not be the best choice as it oxidizes quite quickly. Still the resistance of the piece of rubber is quite high (around 10k if I remember correctly) so this is not too critical.

Comment

I drew something awfully ugly but it might help.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

It's some beautiful piece of art

What would be the best conductive material for such high voltage ?

Thanks alot for your help !

PS : I might not be able to update the thread for the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                                          X