Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA has a dead board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA has a dead board.

So the board on my Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA 51" plasma died the other day.It tries to power on a few times- clicking on and off - then blinks the red light 5x.

After researching I found the info on replacing capacitors and boards. I'm computer savvy but couldn't solder to save my life. So i'm going to replace whichever board is dead.

So question is are the details in this thread accurate -as far as finding the dead board goes.

Base on what ive read it sounds like blown capacitors on the power supply board. Would it be smart to just replace that and forget testing the other boards?

Re: Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA has a dead board.

Yes the details in that thread by tom66 are accurate.
    Take the back off and post photos of the boards.
    Guessing without a visual inspection is not smart IMO.

Comment

My limited experience with plasmas indicate that transistor shorts on other boards causing the power supply to shut down are more common than bad capacitors. You can test for shorts with a multimeter and disconnect boards to test for this problem. If you don't have bulged caps on the PS board, then you need to isolate which board is bad.

Comment

It is almost certainly *not* bad capacitors on this model. Samsung resolved that issue after the 2009 model year and it only affected certain LCD and plasma models.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

OK here's a pic labeled as best as I could figure out.

I have a multi-meter I can test with if someone can point me toward that process.

Otherwise Ill follow this one:
          If you don't have sound: First, turn the TV off and unplug it from the wall. Give it 5 minutes to discharge the capacitors. Then, unplug the connector going to the Z-sustain. Now plug it in, do you have sound? If so, the Z-sustain is failed. Now, give it another 5 minutes and then disconnect the Y-sustain and re-connect the Z-sustain. If it now powers up with sound, then the Y-sustain is faulty. With a Y-sustain problem, it can also be a buffer problem. If your TV has two buffers (upper and lower), disconnect the upper buffer (wait 5 minutes before doing so), and see if you get a picture on the lower of the screen, then swap around. The board that when removed gives a picture is faulty. If your TV has only one buffer, remove that and see if it comes on with sound.
          Not sure if that's the right procedure. But its the best I can find.

Thanks again for any help. Cant afford to replace or ruin this tv right now.

Comment

k i tried replacing the Power Supply and no luck. So I have choice but to try and figure out which other board is dead.

The problem is the thin paper-like cables used. I've seen those before and ended up breaking the cable/cnnector. So I didn't mess with these ones - just replaced PS an prayed, but now I have to.

Can anyone point me toward info on safely unhooking/reconnecting these type cables. Even a name of the cable type would help me find a youtube video.

Comment

They are called flat flex cables, you need to lift the little hinge on either end of the cable to disconnect them. Don't just tug on them.

Is there an LED lit on your control board? What is it doing?
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
              X