Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actiontec MI424WR for Verizon FIOS: tricking Verizon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Actiontec MI424WR for Verizon FIOS: tricking Verizon?

What's one of the newer models that Verizon does support? I can give ya the first half of the MAC and we could try and randomly pick the other half, at least it'd look like it's coming from the correct manufacturer. I think there's more going on the MAC address though.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

stick inSSIDer on your fone and go for a drive if you want to grab some mac's

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        With some devices, like my cable modem, if I try modifying the firmware, even if I went out and bought the device, I can go to jail. Well, if I'm getting service through Time Warner Cable or if I'm selling the modified device to someone who's getting service through Time Warner Cable. You might want to double check and make sure it's legal to do what you want to do before you do it though.
        WTF is up with laws these days! You should be allowed to fsck with your own modems!

Originally posted by stj View Post
        you need the mac addresses of a few of those boxes and of a few of the newer ones to decode the pattern.
        Then again I wonder what the MAC address is on that baseband port which may not be accessible from the wifi or ethernet ports?
        you may even be able to change the mac from a serial terminal connected to a debug header on the pcb.
        Alas I think this might be the end of the road as I'm not local. I need that device to be working at the same time as fscking with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
          What's one of the newer models that Verizon does support? I can give ya the first half of the MAC and we could try and randomly pick the other half, at least it'd look like it's coming from the correct manufacturer. I think there's more going on the MAC address though.
          Actually the MI424WR has several revisions, all revisions do not work except the newest one that has a dual tone black/red case, I believe. So Rev A,C,D,E, and F are no good; Rev G and I are OK as of right now.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-I.../819040/page/2

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            WTF is up with laws these days! You should be allowed to fsck with your own modems!....
            I think this was because of what happened not too far from here, in a city we call Buffalo. There were some guys that were modifying the Time Warner Cable (TWC) modems. At the time, you needed two of them to modify them the way they were modifying them. They'd modify them and then sell them for money.

At the time, I believe (and I think TWC still does) was using DOCSIS 3. DOCSIS 3 supports pretty high speeds, something like up to 300Mbps download. At the time, TWC's max speed was something like 15Mbps.

Now, they've allowed people to have 50Mbps download speed (for an arm and a leg). Another company bought them out and things are going to hell real quick like. In the past, TWC had promotions (and they still do). But with the old promotions, if we wanted to add another HD-DVR, no problem, an extra 15$ a month.

With the new company though, you want to add an extra HD-DVR, you break the promotion, and now it's an extra 300$ a month. That's not 300$ total, that's 300$ plus what you pay already.

We called and told them we were leaving everything because didn't want whole home DVR but couldn't get just two normal HD-DVR boxes without our bill going up real crazy like. The lady said normally, it'll break the promotion, but there's ways around that. She guaranteed she could get us that extra HD-DVR and take away the whole home and the total bill would be around 160$ a month (for what we have). That's pretty good, so we said okay.

The bill comes and it's over 800$!!!!! I called and got them to lower it to 225$ or something. They said it's something like 225$ because they had to send someone to switch the boxes out but after that first payment, it'll go down to, you guessed it, 160$ a month. That is, until the promotion ends. Then it'll skyrocket back up to something insane like 800$ a month.

Sneaky little bastards. They said call a month before the promotion ends and we can give you another one. Just keep doing that. What a crock!
            -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Working...
            X