HP EliteBook 2570p turns off after 5 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteBook 2570p turns off after 5 seconds

I got this broken HP EliteBook 2570p when I turn it On laptop shows no picture and fan keeps spinning at max. I disassemble it and found one mosfet burned, don't know what that mosfet is and his purpose but I think he is responsible for laptop to not turn On. I attached pictures so if someone knows what that mosfet is, and if he is worth replacing or should I replace the whole motherboard, and any other info. like that would be cool, thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-19-2017, 10:36 AM.

Re: HP EliteBook 2570p turns off after 5 seconds

I think is n channel mosfet change mosfet and try.

Comment

What is that n channel mosfet for ?

What I think happend is user from USA (laptop is from USA) use cable that came with adapter and have 3 pin USA power connector that supports 10A 125V ~ (it's labeled on it) and try to use it here in EU with EU adapter and that burn the mosfet, thats what I think but I could be wrong that's just my intuition.

Could it be it's only that mosfet or maybe he burned something along with himself or short, but it's not showing any burns ?
      Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Can someone give me sheme for that motherboard PN is 685404-601.

I don't know what n mosfet I need to buy to repair this cause mine is all black, can't read the number from it.
        Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-20-2017, 01:05 AM.

Comment

anyone please help ?

Comment

You can try putting up any mosfet(around cpu socket) from hp motherboard . Its not going to harm you. Try powering with lab psu,if available.

Comment

The power supply itself should support 100-240V. The rating written on the cord just identifies it as a cable for the US market. To pass regulations, I believe the wire needs to be rated at least 300V RMS. There might be another rating stamped into the cord but harder to see. In any case, this wouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I could not find a (free) schematic for this model. However, I was able to find a couple cousins. You will find the circuit with the bad MOSFET on page 9 in both.

By the way, for those who are curious... just by looking at the board itself, you can see the 2 MOSFETs and the coil/inductor they connect to. This is the hallmark of a synchronous buck converter circuit. The larger MOSFET is always the low-side one (connected between the output and ground), because that one spends a much longer time turned on. The smaller one (the one destroyed on your board) is the high-side MOSFET (connected between the output and the supply voltage). On many boards they just use ones that are the same size though. In that case, you just have to find out what each is connected to.

Q6300 is indeed an N-Channel MOSFET. The schematics show a FDMC8884, but that's probably not what was on this actual board. There are many other ones that will work too. It should be quite easy to find a donor board to steal one from. If you want to know which part they actually used on your board, just look at the other buck converter circuits. They probably all/mostly use the same high-side MOSFET.

The fact that the MOSFET burned up in that way means there is a chance that the full supply voltage was connected to the 1.05V output rail. That could have damaged a number of things, including the CPU. You can try replacing the MOSFET and see if it helps. But don't waste too much time on it.

In some cases, the controller chip is damaged and will just keep frying the high-side MOSFET. So, you might have to replace it (U6300) and the MOSFET at the same time.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post
                The power supply itself should support 100-240V. The rating written on the cord just identifies it as a cable for the US market. To pass regulations, I believe the wire needs to be rated at least 300V RMS. There might be another rating stamped into the cord but harder to see. In any case, this wouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I could not find a (free) schematic for this model. However, I was able to find a couple cousins. You will find the circuit with the bad MOSFET on page 9 in both.

By the way, for those who are curious... just by looking at the board itself, you can see the 2 MOSFETs and the coil/inductor they connect to. This is the hallmark of a synchronous buck converter circuit. The larger MOSFET is always the low-side one (connected between the output and ground), because that one spends a much longer time turned on. The smaller one (the one destroyed on your board) is the high-side MOSFET (connected between the output and the supply voltage). On many boards they just use ones that are the same size though. In that case, you just have to find out what each is connected to.

Q6300 is indeed an N-Channel MOSFET. The schematics show a FDMC8884, but that's probably not what was on this actual board. There are many other ones that will work too. It should be quite easy to find a donor board to steal one from. If you want to know which part they actually used on your board, just look at the other buck converter circuits. They probably all/mostly use the same high-side MOSFET.

The fact that the MOSFET burned up in that way means there is a chance that the full supply voltage was connected to the 1.05V output rail. That could have damaged a number of things, including the CPU. You can try replacing the MOSFET and see if it helps. But don't waste too much time on it.

In some cases, the controller chip is damaged and will just keep frying the high-side MOSFET. So, you might have to replace it (U6300) and the MOSFET at the same time.
                Thanks for the help and explanation. I think I will just buy a new board and sell this one as it is like that, too much can go wrong because of one mosfet. I somehow doubt it's only that mosfet that failed in this case.
                Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

You give up too easily.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    You give up too easily.
                    Hehe it's not that, I bought this laptop at super price so there is still a lot of room to buy a new motherboard instead of having sex with this one. I just don't have much time lately to check whats wrong with that board, so it's time saver to do it like this.
                    Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-24-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Sometimes i can relate to that - i have a 55" LG TV with backlights on but no picture i have wanted to fix for almost 1 year now, but since the panel looks good i'll likely just bite the bullet and buy a replacement main like i did for my 37".

The only reason i haven't done that until now is that it's pretty expensive (around 100 Euro) and hard to sell on if the panel turns out to have issues, but since i moved in with my girlfriend there is a big white wall in our bedroom, opposite to the bed, that just screams "big TV goes here". I haven't bothered to put up the 37" because it would be too small for the distance, but then i would get used to it and never fix the big one.

Tinkering with stuff is great when you have a lot of time on your hands and no deadlines, but life eventually gets in the way. That's not a bad thing, though.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        Sometimes i can relate to that - i have a 55" LG TV with backlights on but no picture i have wanted to fix for almost 1 year now, but since the panel looks good i'll likely just bite the bullet and buy a replacement main like i did for my 37".

The only reason i haven't done that until now is that it's pretty expensive (around 100 Euro) and hard to sell on if the panel turns out to have issues, but since i moved in with my girlfriend there is a big white wall in our bedroom, opposite to the bed, that just screams "big TV goes here". I haven't bothered to put up the 37" because it would be too small for the distance, but then i would get used to it and never fix the big one.

Tinkering with stuff is great when you have a lot of time on your hands and no deadlines, but life eventually gets in the way. That's not a bad thing, though.
                        Hehe

Exactly every word you said.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post

Good day, Is it possible for a blown/missing C6502 and C6503 and the same mosfet blown to be related ?

Had this happen to my 2570p a while ago as i plugged in its AC adapter as the battery was fully drained then turned it on initially nothing happened so i checked if i connected the AC adapter properly and it was so i tried turning it on again and it made its usual boot actions (100% fan, LCD blacks out, fan subsides) but then turned off at the point the boot screen was to be displayed on and was greeted instead by a wafting burning smell coming from the laptop so i yanked the battery and wall adapter out. Came across this site and sure enough a peek through the case has a burned mosfet but also mounting pads C6502 and 6503 looking like its missing a capacitor.

Comment

take a photo of those pads and upload it here.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                              take a photo of those pads and upload it here.
                              I apologize for the picture i haven't taken it apart yet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

offcourse when burn capacitor makes short it can blow mosfet

Comment

this photo does not have enough quality. you can compare it with internet photos of the mainboard to see whether there exist those two capacitors or not.

Comment

Working...
                                  X