KRK Systems Rokit 6 repair, low volume, black glue of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KRK Systems Rokit 6 repair, low volume, black glue of death

This is a studio monitor autoamplified speaker. It starts with apparently normal volume but after a minute or less it begins to drop volume.

Poor chinese materials and construction inside. But worst part is that the chinese that builds them applies a black glue to prevent vibration in capacitors and larger components. A very common subject in this forum, a budm's favorite: this glue becomes conductive and corrossive as it heats and becomes dry and brittle. Components that are underneath are corroded, specially their legs, eventually breaking.

Basically it's a cleaning job. Biggest problem was that R105 was very corroded, it fell apart when I removed glue and I couldn't read color bands. Reading was 5.7kΩ, a non standard value? I replaced with 5.6kΩ. Please, if someone opens one unit having this resistor in better shape, please confirm its value. Z101 is a 16V zener. I could save this one. Q101 is a 2SD667A, legs partially corroded. I mention this because they put glue over these components and they may become hard to identify if they need to be replaced. R100 and R101 are 2.2kΩ.
Working...
X