FSP AU-500 Aurum series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FSP AU-500 Aurum series

Sounds like the problem is in the 5VSB circuit, which provides housekeeping for the primary and secondary circuits. It isn't starting reliably (does it also shut down randomly?). I'd look around that primary side IC or other Standby controller if there is one on the underside of the PCB.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

@PeteS in CA
      Recapping secondary side seemed to fix it, but degraded to random restarts and now fan twitching or short power on cycle. Atleast long enough to read the different rails.
      Thanks for your suggestion it would seem to be this reason. Just annoying with intermittent or kindof working when probing. Cheers, Bluebear.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
        Sounds like the problem is in the 5VSB circuit, which provides housekeeping for the primary and secondary circuits. It isn't starting reliably (does it also shut down randomly?). I'd look around that primary side IC or other Standby controller if there is one on the underside of the PCB.
        +1

In particular, I suggest checking the 5VSB's primary-side auxiliary rail. It is responsible for keeping the logic "alive" in the PSU. If it goes off, the main PSU will not work.

Looking at the pictures, this PSU might also have an AC-detection circuit. Make sure that is working as well.

Finally, if the APFC does not come to full operating voltage in time when you request to turn on the main power supply, the PSU will shut down. So for that one, I suggest checking the ESR of the big cap and also make sure the APFC coil and associated transistors + diodes don't have any bad solder joints.

Comment

Working...
        X