Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric t

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
    Even if companies had to give back the IPv4 addresses they weren't using, that's still a temporary solution. Eventually, we'll be back to where we are now, with running out of IPv4 addresses. It might take a good amount of time, but I think we just need to sit back down at the drawing board and either revise IPv6 or, like you suggested earlier, come up with a better protocol all together (I'm thinking something like Spork/IP, that sounds good!)
    I'm HOPING that a new protocol would emerge by then that would solve two problems ... address space and packet overhead which is disgusting in TCP/IP.

Comment

Re: Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric t

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
      I think one of the problems with IPv4 was like in Deposit. The PCs had public IPs for whatever reason. We did business with banks and FedEx, but mostly big banks. Banks that small banks do business with (ie, Juniper). Class C was too small, Class B gave us waaayyy more IP addresses than we'd ever use. But I don't think there was away to get a partial class B network. I don't think they could have asked the US registrar's for 1,000 class B public IP addresses, for instance. I think you need to get the full 65,536 addresses. That's a lot of wasted IPv4 addresses!
      YES IT IS ... and thats where the issuing authority needs to say "look ... you don't need all those addresses ... learn some basic networking principles and manage your assets accordingly" ...

Assigning public ip addresses to workstations is both a security risk, and a pig ignorant way to run a network.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
        Oh I'm quite familiar with subnetting .. And very vew corporations would subnet their public addresses ... what would be the point? Their Internet connection terminates at a router then at a firewall but at the router, natting can start, so breaking up their assigned network addresses makes no sense really. If they have multiple locations, the ISP will assign their own subnetted blocks of addresses to each location. So if anyone is sucking down broadcast and network addresses, it would be ISPs ...
        Who could have predicted that the ISP now should be delegates of IP addresses and not companies? Before when the Internet was small, this was the "best" way and have every machine visible on the network... now we know this is very bad.
        I've often wondered what class of addresses the main authority assigns to ISPs and what not ... Ive only ever worked with 24 bit masks have only gone higher than that in the private address space.
        IANA chooses depending on need and how much they pay...

Thats a curious statement ... what do you mean by this?
        As in the SSL thread I expect network pipes to be a pipe. And when that is true, I have a machine on a public static IP, no third party entity can choose to remove my posting because someone feels like it. I can advertise all I want on my IP address. It's mine. In a facef**k posting you're restricted to what facef**k lets you do.
        The issue of reverse DNS should be with the company who hosts your DNS record ... Godaddy in my case. The ISP has nothing to do with it, unless their DNS servers are also the root servers to your domain name. If so, just switch to someone else for record hosting. I think google does it for free ... you still pay whatever company you pay now for the domain name, but you go into your record and set the IP of whatever name server you are going to use and then all hits to your domain will start with the new name server... and I'm sure I can say with confidence that google has RDNS working with IPV6.

To find out who hosts your record you can go to a command prompt and do an nslookup against your domain name with a soa query type.
        Unless Godaddy is actually hosting your IP address range via VPN or other routing chicanery, the reverse DNS lookup request necessarily goes back to your ISP, unlike the forward DNS which goes to whoever is hosting your domainname. Reverse DNS related to ISP block lookup, it needs to start with the frontmost digits as those are the most significant (rather than the lastmost name in forward lookup as that's the domain name).

Say the forward badcaps.net -> it looks for a DNS server that handles .net, then it looks for badcaps and finds 168.235.77.64.

Reverse DNS actually uses the same forward DNS system to simplify things, but uses a different hierarchical path. Because the first number is the most significant (looking up from the 64 really has no meaning because there are 16777216 possible reverses that at best would have to be searched as a huge list), it actually looks up a virtual hostname "64.77.235.168.in-addr.arpa." The in-addr.arpa delegate DNS host can't possibly know how to know what every mapping is, so it looks for an origin match and delegates pieces back to servers that would likely know. Since ISPs tend to have whole /24's, /16's, etc. they are the likely candidate to handle RDNS lookups because you can't have two different people $ORIGIN/SOA for 235.168.in-addr.arpa. Only one can be delegated, and that ISP where packets route to 168.235.x.x gets routed to is the best choice (Second best choice would be the upstream provider). This is why despite my top level forward DNS hostname is resolved by GoDaddy, they cannot also fix my reverse DNS - my ISP has the $ORIGIN/SOA for the reverse as they should. It reduces the amount of collating of data at a central point, and instead allows hierarchical lookup. And when the ISP's reverse lookup server is dead, just that ISP's reverse lookups fail.

As an aside, GoDaddy was willing to let me put in an NS record so I can manage my own third level, so my private DNS server I can set up an unlimited number of my own forward lookup hostnames as I choose without needing to contact GoDaddy...

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
          YES IT IS ... and thats where the issuing authority needs to say "look ... you don't need all those addresses ... learn some basic networking principles and manage your assets accordingly" ...

Assigning public ip addresses to workstations is both a security risk, and a pig ignorant way to run a network.
          I brought it up in the meeting after I became manager. They didn't know and the head IT guy in charge at the time was asked why. With FedEx, for whatever reason, they had to be on public. We weren't allowed to touch them. I mean, we could repair them, etc, but they had special stuff on them that fedex used. I don't know much about how that was setup.

We spent the night switching all the others over to private.

I think moving to IPv6, right now, is the only viable solution. I think even if people were forced to manage their IPv4 addresses a bit more wisely and give back the IPs they weren't using, it's just prolonging the inevitable. Eventually, even if we get the IPv4 addresses back, we'll run out again.
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            ...my ISP has the $ORIGIN/SOA for the reverse as they should...
            Is there no way to work with your ISP to try and show them how to fix the RDNS stuff? It sounds like you know a good deal about networking, more than I do, that's for sure. In the past, I've worked with some companies, after finding problems, and gave solutions on how to fix them. Some companies implement the fix, some just don't care.
            -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Unfortunately with big ISPs they have a bureaucracy going on there, and nobody wants to do things... They did set up a website to do these RDNS setup but it constantly breaks (and the authentication...) but they did not put up IPV6 setup. Plus it's still not clear because though effectively I have that /64 I don't think they really want me setting up that many RDNS records though theoretically I should...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                Unless Godaddy is actually hosting your IP address range via VPN or other routing chicanery, the reverse DNS lookup request necessarily goes back to your ISP, unlike the forward DNS which goes to whoever is hosting your domainname. Reverse DNS related to ISP block lookup, it needs to start with the frontmost digits as those are the most significant (rather than the lastmost name in forward lookup as that's the domain name).
                You're absolutely right on that ... I responded to that just from seeing DNS and ISP ... my bad ... I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                X