X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    a older version of Windows 8,before they removed the Start Menu,
    There's no such thing. The start menu has been gone from day 1.

TBH, though, I wouldn't run anything newer than windows XP on that machine. 7 is so slow it's almost unusable on anything less than a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Maybe some beta version of Windows 8? Or maybe he installed some 3rd party tool and forgot...
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

My current system:
        i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz (Corsair H80 for cooling)
        16GB DDR3 1333
        Radeon R9 290X 4GB (reference)
        MSI P67A-GD65
        OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
        HDDs: Samsung HD204UI 2TB, Samsung HD642JJ 640GB, WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 500GB
        USB HDDs: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 2TB, Seagate ST3500418AS 500 GB
        Corsair TX850 V2 850W PSU (Seasonic)
        Antec Nine Hundred case
        Last edited by ddscentral; 06-16-2014, 06:25 AM. Reason: Added OS

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          Don't need to... due to faster interenet speeds, there isn't as much of a need to horse your rig around for a wired LAN/wifi connection... High speed internet killed the LAN party but not the PC gaming platform (which is far from dead).
          thats the lazyass version of gaming, you can do that just fine on your jerkoff playstation...............anyone too lazy to bring a system to LAN, especially as small and light as they are today (LCD versus CRT, and todays light cases) was never a real gamer to begin with. Theres a lot more to a LANfest than gaming, and those too lazy to do it will never understand... It's good friends, good fun, software piracy, and usual rude things...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            thats the lazyass version of gaming...............anyone too lazy to bring a system to LAN, especially as small and light as they are today (LCD versus CRT, and todays light cases) was never a real gamer to begin with. Theres a lot more to a LANfest than gaming, and those too lazy to do it will never understand...
            What about groups that game together over the internet that live on opposite corners of the world (I know of one where 2 are in the US, 3 are in the UK, and one is in Canada).
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              What about groups that game together over the internet that live on opposite corners of the world (I know of one where 2 are in the US, 3 are in the UK, and one is in Canada).
              We had a few of those that would connect to the LAN. The place we usually LAN'd had a T1. Quake1 would play great over it. We'd play online every now and then.....but it was always lame. Gaming is more for the friendship, camaraderie, and getting out of the house.....sitting at home, wtf is with youth today?!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post

TBH, though, I wouldn't run anything newer than windows XP on that machine. 7 is so slow it's almost unusable on anything less than a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM.
                make that a pentium D and your dead on!
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  Maybe some beta version of Windows 8? Or maybe he installed some 3rd party tool and forgot...
                  No,the version I'm talking about is the Developer Preview.

I think you'll say that it's fake and not true,but Windows 7 runs at a decent speed on this Celeron D PC.Anyways my version is a smaller one (those ones that are trimmed down for USB install or CD-Rs)so maybe that's why.

My main system has 1GB RAM (DDR2) too and it runs fast.That system though uses the K8M890 chipset and has Socket AM2.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

^
                    It won't be fast by my standards. Fast to me means 10 sec or less boot up time from a cold start (ie, not from standby or sleep) and programs all opening nearly instantly (with the exception of some larger games maybe). The only way you get that on 7 is on a core i3 with an SSD.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                      It won't be fast by my standards. Fast to me means 10 sec or less boot up time from a cold start (ie, not from standby or sleep) and programs all opening nearly instantly (with the exception of some larger games maybe). The only way you get that on 7 is on a core i3 with an SSD.
                      SSD is something I can't afford,and the price for a 1TB SSD(1TB = LOTS of space!) here is just insane (costs almost as a new laptop).Also,this system was meant to be an office-like system that I can upgrade to run games (old games though,like NFS Hot Pursuit 2,Abe's Exoddus,Ford Racing 2)so I ued parts that together would build back my old system. (it was a Celeron 440 2GHz on LGA 775,but it's not a big problem if I used a higher frequency CPU on Socket 478)

Not related to the things above,I've weirdly and successfully got the board to POST with a Supermicro P4SPA+/P4SPE BIOS,which itself is Award,while the original P4P800-VM BIOS was AMI.The trick was to find a board that had the same Super I/O(Winbond W83627),CPU Socket (there are some boards that use LGA775 and i865,but mine is S478 and i865) and the same onboard NIC (Intel PRO 10/100)
                      Last edited by Dan81; 06-17-2014, 05:13 AM.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Not related to the things above,I've weirdly and successfully got the board to POST with a Supermicro P4SPA+/P4SPE BIOS,which itself is Award,while the original P4P800-VM BIOS was AMI.The trick was to find a board that had the same Super I/O(Winbond W83627),CPU Socket (there are some boards that use LGA775 and i865,but mine is S478 and i865) and the same onboard NIC (Intel PRO 10/100)
                        How very interesting! Why did you try that? For fun, or did you want to see if you could get a more updated BIOS?
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                          How very interesting! Why did you try that? For fun, or did you want to see if you could get a more updated BIOS?
                          For fun,and also because I was tired of the AMI BIOS it had.You couldn't OC at all with the original BIOS,but with the Supermicro I could up the FSB to around 150-160.Also my first PC had Award BIOS,so I like Award BIOS more.
                          Strangely,I could also get to work the DFI Lanparty PRO875 BIOS.That one POSTs but freezes after CPU Brand Name,and what's funny is that from 1GB RAM it sees just 1MB!(1024K)
                          Last edited by Dan81; 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Theres a lot more to a LANfest than gaming, and those too lazy to do it will never understand... It's good friends, good fun, software piracy, and usual rude things...
                            I never had a good gaming PC system to bring with me back when these LAN parties were popular (and neither did any of my friends). What we often did instead, was go to the local LAN cafe (this was back when I lived in BG) and play some games there. You are absolutely right, the atmosphere was totally different!

It was particularly funny when we were playing Counter-Strike and everyone would eventually look back and see where the person(s) from the opposing teams were. This was as bad as "cheating" would get (unlike nowadays). Then someone from the other team would eventaully notice. The usual conversation then was:
                            - "Hey motherf***s, were you looking at my screen again?"
                            - "who? me??? no way!" .
                            Eventaully some bullying and friendly pucnhes were inevitable, followed by the LAN cafe's owner yelling at us. We never got kicked out for that, though.
                            Fun times .

Comment

Originally posted by willawake View Post
                              ok now post a pic of your setup. I go second......

perhaps i should consider cable management. perhaps usual that a tech's office server cabinet is looking good but no energy left for the home system.....anyway please note that there are wood chocks shoved underneath the desk shelf to guarantee perfect burning. there is also the new main computer/networking piece of furniture which i made in about an hour using wood salvaged from the office which houses the zyxel switch and router and yes acts as a bar missing is the sofa chair which i sit on and sometimes fall asleep while browsing the net in the early hours.....
                              Well done I like your system configuration and management

Comment

Originally posted by KatherineGutierrez View Post
                                Well done I like your system configuration and management
                                You do realise that image was posted almost a decade ago
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

it still looks good though,
                                  2 cans of becks and a bottle of wine to smooth out the workload.

Comment

Swapped the Q6600 with a QX6700.

Specs as it stands:
                                    3.2 GHz Core 2 Extreme QX6700, stock is 2.66 GHz
                                    6 GB DDR2-800
                                    500 GB WD Blue HDD
                                    nSpire 650W Power Supply, actually a Channel Well design that's also shared with a thermaltake.
                                    Radeon HD 4850 reference card
                                    Freezer 7 Pro heatsink\fan
                                    Antec P180 case.

Also took a picture of the inside of the system while I was at it, one that reflects what video card I've actually had for the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      it still looks good though
                                      Agreed.

I myself have been using my secondary computer a little bit more lately (after I switched the big 21" CRT monitor with a 17" CRT since it's summer and it's hot).
                                      That system has:
                                      - MSI MS-7191 socket 939 motherboard - almost fully recapped (de-Teapo'ed, at least).
                                      - AMD Athlon 64 3000+, stock cooler and CPU fan
                                      - 1 GB DDR PC3200 RAM
                                      - 500 GB half-dying HDD
                                      - MSI GeForce 7600 GS with 256 MB VRAM
                                      - 250W HiPro DL-P2507FWP in a decade-old shell from a gutless PSU.
                                      - Some random dark-gray mATX case I found on the curb before trash day.

Total cost of the system was under $15. The motherboard is really the only item I had to buy. Everything else was random discarded junk I found.

I still prefer my HP Pavilion 8756c (Pentium-3 based) PC. Has a real amplifier IC for the audio output. Also great during this time of the year when it's 80+ F in my room.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 07-24-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Might as well jump in on the action - at least for the sake of it.

PC: Scarab ~~ [ Click for full detailed list - (SpecList_Scarab.txt)]

Most of the parts are either purchased used or carryovers from my original desktop back in 1998 or so such as the sound card and mouse while others are just older hardware overclocked to hell and back. The fan guard on the back is salvaged from an old dead rosewill power supply which is inset rather than extended outwards lie your typical fangrill. This way it sits inside of the hole rather than above it to fit flush with the face.

For those that gawk at the monitor... I'm still waiting for a 19" monitor that gets better resolution than my CRT which is 2560x1920@56hz. The mouse there are none nowadays with the two-buttons in place of the wheel which I like so.. been using that so long the bottom is worn smooth. Had to replace the leftbutton actuator once, the cord twice, and the middle buttons membrane once over time. The keyboard... I hope one day to find a mechanical keyboard using that layout whereas there is no gap between the home-pad and the arrowkeys. I used to have one with ALPS switches till that got stolen from me.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by chozo4; 07-29-2014, 06:20 PM.
                                        Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

The start menu was always there in earlier versions of windows 8. The only difference is the actual API to bring it up was unlinked from the 'orb' that used to be there so wasn't actually accessable by normal end users. There are programs that re-link it to that api as the start menu code still existed in its' entiity at the time until 8.1 if I recall. There is also the alternative "startIsBack" that brings the familiar startmenu back in its' original form through remaking it for 8.1+.

http://startisback.com/#home-tab
                                          Last edited by chozo4; 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM.
                                          Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Working...
                                          X