Belinea 2225S1W repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belinea 2225S1W repairs

I have very minimal electronics expertise so my question is basically whether this could be an easy fix - otherwise it is off to ebay for spares or repair. Searching about I found this thread

Code:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18021
    which describes my fault pretty closely. I came into the room to find the monitor appearing to switch itself on and off. The power button would go green for a few seconds, and then it it would turn off briefly and then back on, repeatedly. This was with the computer off; it had not been used for a while so the system was just sitting on standby.

I switched it off with the switch, and it has been completely dead ever since.

I took the front panel off to look at the switch board hoping this might be the problem and a simple fitting of a new switch would do the job. Looking at the thread I have posted this seems unlikely. Plus I can see no sign of problems on the little board which holds all the switches.

I would be grateful if someone expert could let me know if the switch panel is likely to be the problem, because I think otherwise I am then at the limit of my expertise. I don't even have a proper dinky soldering iron, only a fast hefty one for making up looms for old cars!

Re: Belinea 2225S1W repairs

Hi - such a pity Gary ddnt get back to say whether it was fixed or not.
    For us to make any sort of guess/assessment we would need good clear pictures. Doeas really sound like a switch problem but you never know try cleaning it - plugging and unplugging etc.
    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

I think it goes without saying you will need a multimeter and probably a fine point 40 or 60 watt soldering iron
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks for the rapid response. I have to emphasise I am really a noob at this -- I can't even see how to actually get the thing apart completely. I have only managed to prise apart the bottom section of the frame to get a little look at the switch. Do I just keep pulling harder and harder?! So all I can see is the little switch board, and there's no sign of problems there at all. But given you think this could be the problem I'll brush it all clean with a toothbrush and plug it all back together. And if that doesn't work I'll email Belinea and see if a switch board is just a few quid.

I think this is my limit of involvement, I'm not going to be delving into the world of " a multimeter and probably a fine point 40 or 60 watt soldering iron". But I'm very grateful for your taking the trouble to respond so fully and helpfully.

Comment

Sorry that ended up a bit ambiguous must remember to read stuff better.
        It should say DOES NOT really sound like a switch problem. - sorry to get your hopes up. to get it apart we usually say to use a butter knife, putty knife or a plastic card/scraper to unclick the catches - pulling on its own does not really do it. If you get it apart you may even be able to tell at a glance if it is bad caps, if they are bad enough.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Thanks for that clarification.

I got the back off, and everything looks perfect. I attach the photos. Is there anything simple I can try now?
          Attached Files

Comment

Simple I can do - have you got a multimeter?

Comment

That power supply looks fine, however it has Elite caps which are known to sometimes fail without obvious signs (they usually bulge at the top or bottom when they go bad). Does the power supply output any voltages, or is it totally dead? Check that connector with a lot of thin wires coming from it.

In the primary section of the power supply (lower right side, under the thick white contour that is silkscreened on the PCB), i can see two small capacitors. If they go bad, they can cause erratic operation of the controller, which could result in the symptoms you reported (monitor turns itself off and on again repeatedly). Try replacing them and report back.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks guys. I can borrow a multimeter when my friends get back from their gathering on Monday. I will report back once I know if power is working.

Comment

Working...
                X