bad caps on audio controller box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad caps on audio controller box?

audio controller for my klipsche system.

sound is staticy and almost gone, i have to have it on max volume to hear muffles, crackl-y sound (left channel low volume)

are these caps bad?

they say "lelon"
    ??

and "twdc" ??

there is one that says "orient"..

im not sure im thinking replace them all.

16v, 25v, 50 ranges and 2.2 uf -470uf (i had the 470 on hand and replaced it, no change) most are 2.2 or 220uf.

suggestions?

THANKS!
    Attached Files

Re: bad caps on audio controller box?

Check the main aplifier, probably located in the subwoofer box - this tiny box contains only some opamps, the controls and some tiny headphones amplifier.

Those caps are indeed not good brands but as they're not subjected to lots of heat and other factors, don't think they're bad. Couldn't tell for sure without checking them though.

Comment

An opamp failure in the control box could lead to the same results... but agreed, it's probably not the caps even tho they're crap. Test the power supplies and outputs of the opamps.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        An opamp failure in the control box could lead to the same results... but agreed, it's probably not the caps even tho they're crap. Test the power supplies and outputs of the opamps.
        this box has a interesting function in the audio kit, it brings the signal in and feeds it to the amp. aswell as deals with power, turning the unit on, and such. it actualy does get warm, while not 'hot'... but a couple of years of heat might affect it?

this box is the problem, the amp is fine.

a few years ago i bought another one of these controller boxes for the same EXACT stupid issue..

the problem is in this box in the pictures.

i wasnt looking for people to rethink my conclusion(no offence), but more looking for advice on the replacement caps.

i saw the lelon caps in the list of "bad caps"....
        Last edited by onegoodpcguy; 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Those are general purpose caps so *anything* will work as a replacement as long as it fits physically and has the same capacitance, and the same or higher voltage rating.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Those are general purpose caps so *anything* will work as a replacement as long as it fits physically and has the same capacitance, and the same or higher voltage rating.
            i had some problems with a power supply for a LCD monitor one time i replaced the caps and it went downhill. so i think maybe some of my cap selection was wrong.

thanks for the advice man, i appreciate it.

this forum is amazing and there are alot of smart people here, its great.
            i feel so stupid reading some of these posts.

Comment

Working...
            X