Question about bad capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about bad capacitors

Not sure if this is the right place to post / ask this but....anyways....earlier this year my computer died. No display / post / fans spun but that was all. Checked alot of stuff at the time and could'nt figure it out so I just gave up.
    Well, I recently opened it back up and after a little research found that 2 of the capacitors were bad, one was slightly bulging at the top and the other was bulging plus had some black gunk on the top.

My question is if it'd be worth trying to replace them. The motherboard wasn't a very expensive one, and I'm kinda hesitant because I tried the CPU that was in it in another computer and it didn't work so I think maybe it might've killed it? Also I noticed on the back of the motherboard where the CPU socket is some spots in the pins are miscolored.

Again, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, made this account to ask this question. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Question about bad capacitors

Originally posted by Sandokazi View Post
    Well, I recently opened it back up and after a little research found that 2 of the capacitors were bad, one was slightly bulging at the top and the other was bulging plus had some black gunk on the top.

My question is if it'd be worth trying to replace them.
    Absolutely yes, replace the 2 that are bad. I got a socket 775 Asus motherboard with one obvious bad cap. It wouldn't post and after changing the one, it is working fine.

Having said the above, capacitors (C designation on the PCB board) die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

So try replacing the 2 obvious bad ones and retest. If it works, you may consider changing all the caps if you think the motherboard is economically worth it.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely give it a shot and replace them, I think mostly what I'm worried about is if it could've killed my CPU. Had ordered another knowing the one I have is dead but kinda nervous to try it out and have it die : /

Comment

Your CPU might be fine. If you put the CPU into another PC and it didn't work, then it could be that the other motherboard doesn't support that CPU in the BIOS?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Completely forgot to check when before I tried it....scared me for a sec, lol...But after looking around a bit the particular mobo does seem to support the CPU

Edit: Nope, I'm an idiot...it does'nt /facepalm. Okay, with the bad capacitor's I'm guessing the CPU wouldn't get any power? Prolly a dumb question but as stated before...I'm an idiot, lol
          Last edited by Sandokazi; 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandokazi View Post
            Okay, with the bad capacitor's I'm guessing the CPU wouldn't get any power?
            It depends where the cap is. On my motherboard, the bad cap was right next to the southbridge chip.

All the caps on the motherboard play an important role. Some work with the DRAM, some with the CPU, some with southbridge, etc. Your system won't POST due to any number of the above reasons + many more.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, well I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
              X