Sony with a weak powerup, green power light slowly blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony with a weak powerup, green power light slowly blinks

hello All. I have a Sony VPCEA16fg that was brought in by a student, it's not on the US site and doesn't have a service manual that I've been able to locate. It's foxconn board number is e253117.

He came in telling me the guy who looked at it had said it would probably need a reflow but I think maybe something else besides the gpu would cause its symptoms...

When you put in an adapter, no led's light up, but you can press the power and the light will shine green like it wants to start. It will then stop trying to start and begin to blink slowly as the fan starts a small spin to match that blinking. So the power light comes on, the fan starts and then back to repeat continually. No power, battery or hard drive led's glow on the front of the board unless you hold down the power button which turns on the battery led as long as you press the button. This same thing goes with battery in, battery out, after resetting by holding down power button. No change.

I am gaining confidence reflowing since getting my set up but I don't want to be mr reflow and think it's the answer to everything, but with no schematic available for this one and my inexperience still at diagnosing mobo components I thought I'd come to the place with the most chance to guide me in the right direction.

I attached some images of how dusty the fan had been when I opened her up as well as picks of the board. on the pics you can see pq32 the pins facing the ddr3 ram don't show any voltage on my muti meter but the pins opposite show 19.4 the other fet near it, shows voltage of 19.7 on all pins except for one which reads 3.

Could not find applicable ideas to try as a solution for this set of parameters, so i am asking you all if anybody has any insight on how o get this laptop powered up and back into the hands of a student who is trying to make something of hissss elf...
    Attached Files

Re: Sony with a weak powerup, green power light slowly blinks

First your motherboard is mbx-224. you can find it easly if cant, i'll post here. Second, you must measure current consumption without battery, on standby and after pressing power button. Post the results then we can discuss.

Comment

i think it is a GPU problem,,

Comment

First! thank for telling me which motherboard it is. I ended up finding the number when I tore down the laptop all the way today and found I had indeed already downloaded the right schematic yesterday so thank you but no need, for the offer to post it here.

I am posting up a pic of the readings I got for pq2 and pq32 with power supply only, battery only and with both connected.. the standby and power button pressed didn't alter the readings.. it would just make the power blink green slowly.... while also causing the fan to spin for a quick instant before stopping

every once in a while the pq32 leg at the top right (white circle one) would arc slightly when i would touch it with the probe.

I am inclined to agree with the gpu assesment but this set of symptoms isn't exactly what others describe and with only about 5 or 6 successful reflows under my belt, I am kinda trying to find my way on what will genuinely call for a GPU reflow and what can be on board components like on a desktop. I had been leaning toward a reflow on the southbridge for the toshiba l505 series laptops for while before the no sound no usb issue was finally put to rest. If you read my postings on the toshiba forum about that.. I was all about the reflow, until a godsend came thru and showed me that the simple sometimes is all that is needed. That turned out to be the L4519 on the board had fallen off and just soldering the pads restores all functions.

For this one, yeah it does smell like a gpu thing but it won't POST or even spin up for more than that split second and then turn into the green light blinking loop, which makes me wonder if it's a power supply issue... testing that alley.. i came to the pq32 readings.. and the top left pin's errant jump from 2.9 when only having battery power to 19.0 when the AC adapter has any connection to the board... that's odd to me.. but knowing what to do because of it is what I'm not able to decifer.. do I swap that mosfet because it's gone bad or do I check another component that may be causing that to happen and the mosfet will be okay?
        Attached Files

Comment

I've looked at a bunch of boards that I have here and this is the closest ive found on board a toshiba a105 mobo.. a RSS090N03 30v 9a switching dc/dc converter with similar but not exact specs..

before I try that out do you think that is okay to do or do I order one that is the same numbers? is the variance in the two substantial enough or similar enough to warrant not using or using it? is there a set of guidelines to follow like there is for caps on pc's or only exact matches should be used?

Regards
          Attached Files

Comment

I Decided to not be foolish, so I ordered replacement mosfet for the board online from ebay, from dana point ca source and will see if that helps when it arrives...

Comment

well, I replaced the mosfet and i'm still getting the same readings for the drain and for the other pins as well that I was getting in the diagram I Posted above... there is a video of what it does posted on my website avdigitalsound.com in the repair log section
              http://avdigitalsound.com/wp/06/sony-viao-repair/
              any help would be helpful!

Comment

reflowed northbridge n southbridge no change'

Comment

and then the guy called me up to check on it... after I run down the attempted repairs, he suggests the gpu might be whats up because he will slam his hand down on the palmrest alot when he's gaming and it's right above where the gpu is located. so I'm gonna try one or two more things and return it in either state (repaired or not-repaired) I just hope with full access to documentation of the repairs I've tried, he will be of the opinion that I've done as much to track down the issue as I could but was not able to.
                  I havent found a similar problem with a solution to it online or with anybody I've talked to about it.

Comment

Originally posted by shwsrvcs View Post
                    reflowed northbridge n southbridge no change'

reflow is not going to work on laptop, reball only. (red glue).. on xbox360 and ps3 will work..

Comment

Originally posted by jtamad44 View Post
                      reflow is not going to work on laptop, reball only. (red glue).. on xbox360 and ps3 will work..
                      yeah, i wasn't thinking that a reflow was in order for this either, but, the customer requested it after the mosfet didn't pan out...

but how you thinking on the reflow not working on a laptop?
                      the few I've done so far, one has come back... a dv7 but at least 2 I have here have held up so far... I'm not just doing a reflow, and putting in copper shimss for these but also modding the airflow the chips have available, it ain't pretty, YET. but I have about 3 dv60000 variants (compaqs, f6 etc... ) to try things out willy nilly on...
                      of course by willy nilly, i mean totally nilly.
                      Attached Files

Comment

i don't do reflow, because of the "red glue" under the chip, reflow won't last .. reball last longer.. and if its nvidia chip, i just replace it, specially if the chip manufactured before year 2009.. you can fix some of them but the results is overheating..

Comment

Hi, iam doing reflow all the times as i don't have the money for the bga machine. I reflowed all types of motherboards for example the dv 6000 and 9000, if you do it right it can last up to one year again, and you know this chips are with red glue. You have to get a very sharp knive that can go under the chip and remove the glue completely, there is also some kind of acid with you can pour on it, after that the glue becomes very soft and can be removed, you can buy it on ebay.

Comment

hello did you solved the problem with sony vaio mb?
                            i have same problem. i found pu19 sn060809... with no 5v on ldo.
                            i replaced but still no result. can you help me pls

regards

Comment

Working...
                            X