Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 50" Plasma TV with Horizontal Black Line Through Screen

Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some direction here. My son has a PN50B560T5FXZA Samsung 50" plasma tv which now has a one pixsel high black vertical line going across the screen. We are thinking that's it's a bad y-buffer board. I have found the y-buffer board replacement part on Ebay for $35.00. I have read different things that could be causing the black line on the screen and at this point I'm totally confused and don't know whether to purchase the board and keep my fingers crossed, or if someone out there has some advice for me. I called Samsung and they didn't even know what a y-buffer board was and only advised me to set up a service call with them. Truthfully, money is tight and we just don't have the means for an expensive service call. If anyone could give me some advice on how to resolve this black line problem, I would be so appreciative. Thanks, vandy46516

Re: Samsung 50" Plasma TV with Horizontal Black Line Through Screen

If it's from top to bottom, it's the plasma panel itself (more specifically, the driver ICs, which are bonded straight to the panel.) It cannot economically be repaired, because the ICs are not replaceable. Mostly because it costs less to do it that way.

If it is from left to right, it is most likely a Y-buffer problem.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The line runs from left to right, not vertically, but horizontally. Sounds like a y-buffer problem. I think I'll order the new y-buffer and keep my fingers crossed that it will resolve the problem. Thanks for your help Tom!

Debbie

Comment

That would be my diagnosis. It can still be the panel, but it is very rare for it to fail in the vertical axis.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello, I found this tread while doing research on my 50" Samsung PN50C7000YF plasma tv with the black horizontal lines across the screen. After watching some youtube videos and reading online I was sure I had a bad Y buffer board. Well I ordered the buffer board from an online electronic store and I just installed the board and I still have the black lines. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the next step in trying to figure out how to fix this tv. I would like to say I don't know much about fixing TV's but I can follow directions and I do like to tinker with stuff and I think this would be a fun project for me to learn a little about plasma tvs . Well I can start by explaining a little more about the problem. The problem started with very thin lines on the bottom of the screen and as time went by (Months) more and more lines started to appear and now solid blocks about 1/2in separated by tiny lines about 3 or 4in total. I tried to unplug the ribbon and connected it again thinking it was a bad connection but that did not help. I wanted to see what would happen if I left the ribbon unplugged and turned the tv on and I had a solid black line across the screen about 6 or 7 inches. At that point from reading online I thought I would just buy the Y buffer board and the problem would be fixed. One thing I did notice when I installed the new y buffer was the I could hear a noise. The best I can describe the sound would be the sound that high voltage power lines make that buzzing sound with a little bit of popping. I installed the original y buffer board and I can hear the same sound. Any help I would greatly appreciate. Thanks, Wes

Comment

Unfortunately my previous statements were based on incorrect knowledge. On Samsung plasma TVs horizontal lines are also most likely a panel fault. I haven't yet tried repairing one but my theory (due to how they fail, one line at a time is typical, rather than all at once) is the adhesive that secures the ribbons in between the glass is weakening; it may be possible to repair this, but it is a difficult job.

Comment

Ok well thanks anyway. I was looking around on this forum most of this stuff is way over my head and if u say its a difficult job then I probably won't mess with it.

Comment

It would involve stripping the panel down to the glass (+ any filter glass), and lifting up a 50" sheet of 4mm display glass. If you feel capable then you can try it but I have no idea if it will work or not. Better than just trashing it, though? If you do want to get rid of it, stick it on freecycle/craigslist rather than dumping it in the trash, that way someone else could attempt the repair.

Comment

Well I have just been dealing with the lines. I just ordered a 70inch led for the living room. I was thinking about fixing this this one to replace my bedroom 720p 50inch plasma. Are there some tests I can do to know more or less that it is a bad ribbon? And if so is there some detailed threads on the forum possibly with pics regarding fixing the ribbon or a plasma teardown. I tried a couple searches but didn't come up with anything (plasma teardown , plasma screen ribbon repair) I would at least like to look into what will be involved before deciding or to just continue living with the lines. Thanks again

Comment

Try looking were the ribbons go to the panel from the buffer board. Look for the ribbon that's next to where the line is. Take the ribbon out of the y buffer board and try reseating it a couple of times to see if it just lost a connection. Then if it don't fix it. I would say it would be a y buff problem.

Comment

Originally posted by audiofreak19 View Post
                      Try looking were the ribbons go to the panel from the buffer board. Look for the ribbon that's next to where the line is. Take the ribbon out of the y buffer board and try reseating it a couple of times to see if it just lost a connection. Then if it don't fix it. I would say it would be a y buff problem.
                      yes I tried reseating the ribbon a number of times. I also tried pressing on the ribbon connector while the tv was on and there was no change. As I stated in my first post I have replaced the y buffer and that did not fix the problem. This is all new to me but it sounds like a lot of fun to trouble shoot and hopefully fix the problem. tom66 was steering me in the direction of a ribbon problem. I need to find instructions on tearing down the plasma panel and how to test the ribbon. I wanted to test the y buffer for shorts just for fun. I found a youtube video for testing the y buffer board but I am not sure where the test point is on the connector that connects to the y scan board. So I'm researching that at the moment.
                      Last edited by Wes; 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

ok so I was looking at the tv a little more and I have a few questions. So I have replaced the y buffer and that did not fix the problem. I have looked at the ribbon attached to the glass panel and even if I was able to get a new ribbon I would not be able to replace the ribbon because its fused onto the glass panel some how. As I have stated before when I replaced the buffer board the same exact lines appeared and did not change location. Now I have tried to wiggle the connector and ribbon while the tv was powered on. I even applied pressure to the ribbon where it is attached to the glass panel. If the ribbon was the problem wouldn't I be able to see a change in the lines when I wiggle or even apply pressure to the ribbon where it attaches to the panel? Could these line be caused by something other than a bad y buffer or bad ribbon? Should I try to clean the ribbon connector with contact cleaner? Also when I replaced the y buffer board and heard a buzzing sound with a light popping coming from the ribbon y buffer connection point I could see on the screen 1 or 2 lines with speckles of color across the screen. The buzzing has stopped and I do not see the color speckling across the screen any longer. The tv is a few years old but has hardly any hrs on it.

Comment

Just a thought have you looked at the contact on the end of the ribbon to see if the copper has been eaten away? The buzzing sound could possibly be arcing from a poor connection, which will eventually eat all the trace off the ribbon. Other than that the ribbons are not replaceable as they are bonded to the panel. By the way you shouldn't move those ribbons with the TV on you could short your buffer out.
                          Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
                            Just a thought have you looked at the contact on the end of the ribbon to see if the copper has been eaten away? The buzzing sound could possibly be arcing from a poor connection, which will eventually eat all the trace off the ribbon. Other than that the ribbons are not replaceable as they are bonded to the panel. By the way you shouldn't move those ribbons with the TV on you could short your buffer out.
                            Thanks for the heads up on shorting out the buffer. I don't notice any discoloration on the ribbon connector pins I will need to get a magnifying glass to inspect it a little better. Is it possible that another component could cause the lines besides a bad ribbon or bad buffer.

Comment

HERE is a thread on repairing bad flex tabs, pretty much unfeasible at any rate.
                              Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
                                HERE is a thread on repairing bad flex tabs, pretty much unfeasible at any rate.
                                I checked out the thread. The link to the youtube vid shows the copper eaten way do to water. What is strange is the ribbon and the connector on mine looks perfect. I tried to see if the copper was corroded where it attaches to the glass panel and I am unable to see any corrosion. Another thing that I have noticed on a lot of youtube videos that I have been watching is the entire section or bank is out unlike mine. It started out 1pixel row at a time. I want to believe the ribbon is not the problem but until then I guess that's the culprit

Comment

Working...
                                X