Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P4S800-MX Problem

Hi all,
    Recently (about a month or so ago) I have gotten hold of a P4 system cheaply and have replaced my main system with it.

It was working completely fine until this morning. This morning, out of the blue. The system will not boot up. No screen shows up, no beeps, no nothing. Mind you yesterday night it was working completely fine with no problems at all!!

Another thing that really confused me is that the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW would not open or show any sign of life at all. I thought my PSU was acting up, even thou it is practically new (around 6 months old). The DVD-ROM and DVD-RW suddently worked when I disconnected the IDE cables to them.

I tried a known working PSU and the same symptoms occurred.

I disconnected everything from the system (only CPU, Motherboard and PSU) and their were no beeps for missing RAM?

Another thing I have noticed is that the green power LED is no longer showing up and the hard drive LED is constantly on if a hard drive is connected.

I have reseated everything besides the CPU and cleared the CMOS, the same symptoms persist.

The specs for the system are:
    CPU - P4 Socket 478 3.0Ghz (sorry don't know which kind, never bothered to check)
    RAM - 1gig, 2x512mb
    Motherboard - Asus P4S800-MX
    Graphics - ATI FireGL X1 (also has built in graphics)
    PSU - GlobalWIN SAF-Sapphire 450W (nearly new)

Are there any known issues with this motherboard. I did some Google searches and some people have had similar problems to me. Of course with no solutions.
    I know that this is a budget motherboard with badcaps, however it was working fine yesterday night and this morning it's dead without doing anything at all!

Is there anything else I can try. I would prefer not to play around with the CPU, however I guess I have nothing to loose now.

Edit: The system powers on by pressing the cases power button and the power supply, case fan and CPU fan spin up and run. I can hear the hard drive spin up as well.
    Last edited by shadow; 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM.

Re: Asus P4S800-MX Problem

By the way, I just tested the CMOS battery voltage and it is 3V, just like it should be. I forgot to mention that the PSU voltages are fine, however I have already ruled out the PSU being the problem.

Comment

Oh well. I did my research on the Internet. And everything points to a faulty motherboard.

I have no idea what the solution could be, however I am getting an Intel D865GLC. As far as I know, Intel boards are really reliable. However early revisions of this particular board had faulty Nichicon HN(M) capacitors.

Comment

The important things not to get disheartened or assign any blame to yourself. I've built lots of machines recent years, that simply don't work and theres never been an explanation for any of them. On each occasion I almost had a severe psychotic breakdown trying to think what I'd done wrong.

I did however find out the companies I'd been buying from were part of a new profitable practise of "sending out faulty goods until they don't come back" policy.

Which could be why. Couple that with angry kids buying boards, burning them out because their ego wants to get a good clock, then returning them as unwanted or wrong order within the free no questions return period and maybe I have a 100% chance of receiving faulty goods when buying them supposedly 'brand new'.

Stay chilled out.
        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Well I ended up getting the Intel 865GLC. No problems thus far, and a far better board. I find it interesting how the VRM is made up of quite a few solid polymer capacitors, however there are still a couple of Nichicon electrolytic's there.

I'm not complaining thou!

I don't know what to do with the old board now. It somehow spontaneously died on me out of the blue. Is there any possibility of repair? Maybe I should just bin it.

Comment

Working...
          X