Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Hi all,

After all the fun and games with the 620's I have been informed that the 745's at my son's work are showing similar symptoms. The warranty runs out on them in about 3 months and depending on whether Dell accept there's an issue and replaces them (I'll leave you to guess on that one) will decide whether I get them on the bench.
    In this case it would appear to show that the extra fan(s) make absolutely no difference.
    As of yet I don't know what caps, temp rating or type they are as I haven't seen a board but as soon as I have more info I will post it.

No doubt this thread will get as big as the 620 one.

Midibob

Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

In my travels I have only seen sporadic failures of optiplex 745 and 755 minitower powersupply units (at this point only 2 within the last 2 and a half years while working over the summer as a computer repair/IT admin at a state university that has about ~2500 dells across campus, most of which are 755, 745 or GX620)

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the 3 year mark.
      If they do follow the 620's then no doubt more comments will follow.

For now anyway the jury is still out.

Midibob

Comment

There's been reports of at least one PC at my school randomly restarting, all are SFF and desktop 745s. Surprised the one in the middle schools are still going, they're all SX 280s that are five plus years old now...

Comment

Later batches of the SX 280 aren't affected, just like the late batch of GX270s that my school used to have. Also it appears that the power supply issue only effects the early run GX620 and 745 minitowers, I have yet to see any problems with the desktop or small form factor units we have

Comment

Confirmed - Our Optiplex 745s have bulging caps in the PSU units.

Comment

Originally posted by Raa View Post
              Confirmed - Our Optiplex 745s have bulging caps in the PSU units.
              Can you provide any details on what caps were bulged? Brand, uf rating, voltage, any series codes?

Thanks.
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Well, I can say this. I have 89 Dell optiplex 745 SMT series in service and they were prchased in batches and not in one lot. One batch seems to have the capacitor issue and the usual symptoms are that the screen will just turn to a solid random color while in the middle of doing something. Upon opening the case an observing the 2200uF 6.3V caps it becomes clear that they are either swollen or already leaking. Of course, these are just outside of the warranty period of 3yrs. Go figure

To make things worse Dell doesn't have sufficient stock of these motherboards. I just had to go round and round to get 4 ordered. After reading the info at this site I decided I would try to repair these myself. Today i went to Radio Shack and dropped $150 on all the goods needed. Things like a digital soldering station, tools, solder and tinning stuff.

I had already purchased some Rubycon cpas off ebay so i was ready to give it a whirl. Let me tell you this! it is hard as hell to get those capacitors off the motherboard with a pencil tip. I tried for awhile and finally gave up and switched off the digital soldering station. Apparently, that was a waste of money. I guess I will go and buy a Weller soldering iron from a hardware store with a standard tip and give that a try.

I am so frustrated at this point I think I will just step away from it for now and try it again next week. Why is it that things just never work out sometimes?

Comment

It can take a while to master the art of cap replacement.

I'm currently struggling along with a DFI Lanparty board. I can get the caps out OK, but the holes are difficult to clear.

By contrast, I recall the SX280 being OK when I was replacing caps.

Can you post pictures of those capacitors you purchased from eBay, so that we can confirm their authenticity? There's often fake capacitors being sold on eBay, there's no point you doing all this hard work, only to need to repeat it in the near future.

Comment

The soldering station is good for SMD work, you won't regret spending money on it. But for caps you'll want a 50W+ iron with chisel tip. Reason is that the ground planes their negative leads are hooked to are darn big, so you basically need enough grunt to heat the whole board.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yup, I see 745 SFF and USFF boards all the time. Welcome to the newest Dell trainwreck.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

just picked one off the curb last night.caps all blown.big surprise ehhh?
                        i have been getting in an increasing number of these from my corporate clients.same deal as the 270-280.
                        some facilities have 500 of these.

Comment

Forgot about this thread, and just today ordered (4) 745 SFF machines from Dell direct. They're on sale for 30% off with a coupon code. Worked out to around $170 shipped each. We'll see if any need recapping when they arrive.
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

It seems I'm late in the game. I've hadn't had this problem since my last job which the computer failed at an alarming rate (optiplex 270) I beleive. I would say 90% of them died.

And now I'm at a different job and just now experiencing the problem. Opening up, I see the bulging and blown capacitors.

Why is Dell not admitting to this issue and getting it resolved. Do they want another lawsuit on their hands? I don't get it. Is there any update on this situation? What is dell doing about it? I just email a rep and they're not admitting to any problems.

Is there any legal action we can take?
                            Last edited by nxp3; 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I don't know about the SMT's or Minitowers, but the Optiplex 745 USFF PC's I've come across seem to last alot longer than the GX620 equivalents, if for nothing else because the majority came with 1.6/1.8ghz Yonah series processors, which run cold to the touch unless under full load. The first 745's realised with the Pentium D's of course never make it past the 3 year warranty mark, most definatley due to the massive amount of heat within the case. The 755's upward's seem to be Dell's first venture into using 80%+ solid aluminum caps outside of PowerEdge servers.

Comment

I can't believe over a year's gone by since I started this thread!
                                Anyway I now have the first few 745's in the workshop.

I haven't checked them all yet but it would appear failure is generally down to the Rubycon LZH 2200uF caps bulging as has previously been mentioned in this thread.
                                Hopefully these can be seen in the attached picture.

A few poly's have also made an appearance next to the cpu.
                                The 220uF (green) are Sanyo and 105c (not like the 620's!) and the 820uF still Rubycons although these appear to be OK as they are now cooled somewhat by the fan assembly that forms the HDD holder.

Time to get the old soldering iron out.

Midibob
                                Attached Files

Comment

LZH or ZLH?
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

It's usually Rubycon MCZ in those positions. Replace the one in the corner of the heat sink and ram slot too.
                                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Ooops,

Yep they were MCZ's mixed with ZLH's too. Just looked at those first and assumed they all were. Even got the letters round the wrong way. Doh!
                                      Out of the 3 I've checked 2 both had the same 4 caps blown and the other only 2.
                                      Didn't notice any stress on the one by the heat sink but I haven't removed them all to test as these are only a stop gap repair. Replacements of the blown caps appear to have done the trick if only for the short term.
                                      Thanks for the tip anyway.

Midibob

Comment

Originally posted by JMITS View Post

I had already purchased some Rubycon cpas off ebay
                                        Stop! You likely have counterfeit caps!

And I can guarantee they're counterfeit if they have "X" vents!

MCZs with gray writing are probably counterfeit!
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                        X