acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

I have been given an acer 5920g with a problem , When you plug the jack in the power adapter led blinks. I know this is a common problem with some acer models , has anyone dealt with these power issues .

Re: acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

Check capacitors PC112 and PC118 near the memory slots. One of them (or both) may be shorted. Very common on that model.

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
      Check capacitors PC112 and PC118 near the memory slots. One of them (or both) may be shorted. Very common on that model.
      Hello, i've 2 motherboard's with those problem and one was the PC112 shorted, the other was a short on PC90.

After capacitor's replacement one of the motherboards is working great, but the other one only boot's after 6 retries.

When pw button pressed, the motherboard come and go for 6 times and then it boots fine and works perfectly.
      If i shutdown or restart, then again only boot's after 6 retries.

Do you have any ideia of what may be causing this delay ?

Thanks
      Regards

Comment

Originally posted by PowerIC View Post
        If i shutdown or restart, then again only boot's after 6 retries.

Do you have any ideia of what may be causing this delay ?
        The fax modem.

Put it in place if it's not or replace it.

Comment

The fax modem.

Just Perfect.

Replaced the Modem PCB and it works perfectly.

You are the Best !

Many Thanks

Comment

Glad I could help.

Comment

That does not makes sense for modem module, many notebooks have it optioned in or out but this Acer, I don't like that when it fusses about that. I usually take modem out to save on complexies and slightly save on power.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

That's the way this machine was designed. It's so common that I had no doubt when told about the delay problem. We're Acer ASP in Brazil. Not an ordinary ASP, we refurbish Acer motherboards.

Comment

Acer Aspire 5732Z dead

Hi
                  Please help me out i have acer aspire 5732z its dead power jack is ok,
                  Silence Like Dreams

Comment

Thank you very much for the info pc118 was at fault.

Comment

You're welcome. Sometimes PC90 and PC96 fail too, just got one this week.

Comment

The fax modem.

You are great!!! I solved my issue.
                        But now i have another prob. with another 5920g and because you are so
                        qualified i would ask you some tips.
                        The problem is that notebook seems to start normally but nothing is displayed on video. (but i can ear windows welcome sound and i can connect to the notebook with remote desktop). I also tried to change video cards but nothing (the same video cards work on another 5920g). I also tried to connect external monitor but nothing no image come out.
                        Can you give me some help?

Comment

Does the LCD lamp works?
                          Try to press fn+F5 to switch to external monitor.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to you guys i was able to localise the bad caps PC112 PC118 and PC90 on the motherboard of my Acer 5920g.

After removing them everythings seems to work fine (Green LED on the PowerSupply doesn flash anymore and the Blue LED on the Laptop is working).

Now i want to know if i can run the laptop without those caps, or does i have to replace them before using the laptop?

On the follwing pages they are telling that the are "redundant":
                            http://www.fixya.com/support/t280473...or_green_light
                            http://www.fixya.com/support/t338288...tor_fix_doesnt
                            http://www.fixya.com/support/t899162...ot_power_power

Thanks in adavance for your help.

Greetings

Comment

Don't take advice from fixya.
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Ok.... thanks for your warning!

I found those old articles from google...

Those articles just helped to localise the badcaps....

Can i test the laptop without those smd caps PC112 PC118 and PC90.

Or does i have to replace them? What about the values? I seems that my local dealer dont has exactly the same caps!

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Comment

I wouldn't turn it on with missing parts unless you've traced the whole circuit and know it's okay.

If you are in the US check digikey.com and mouser.com.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Those capacitors are grounded, they mostly serve as a drain or filter to the parasite electricity around processor supply circuit. Although you won't have a problem leaving without them, it's not recommended. I can't remember right now but I guess they are 100uF 25v. Need to confirm.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The caps are marked as 10U/X6S/25V...so i guess 25V and 10uF or 100uF???

Comment

Like this.
                                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=490-5308-1-ND

If those are in/near CPU socket they are probably across Vcore and used to filter RF noise [higher frequencies than ripple that come from EMI sources like CRTs, WIFI, Cell phones, electric motors] out of the power to the CPU.
                                        [Desktops have these too but few people realize it. - Some processors put them on the CPU instead of in the socket.]
                                        There are typically something like 10-20 [+] of those in parallel.
                                        You can verify that's what they are by finding a bunch of others in parallel with them by doing continuity checks using a DMM.
                                        If there are a bunch of good ones in parallel then leaving a few out for a short time shouldn't hurt anything as long as you stay clear of EMI sources, but I wouldn't leave it that way permanently.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X