This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Hmm, I will have to check the rectifiers. It's pretty new. Manufactured in early 2011

Comment

Well, I think it's obvious something could went bad on this PSU after 10 minutes of use, that could be in mid 2011
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Um, there is NOOOOOO WAAAAY those input filtering caps are 680uF!!!!
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Are you sure? Srsly. I have one FSP PSU here, though I haven't opened it yet, I have seen through holes the input caps are small, too. But state some high capacitance as well. Now do you think FSP would use fakes for Fortrons, or is it just evolution, being able to fit same capacitance into smaller can?

We see lot ot 3300 uF caps in D10x30/35 mm, yet do you see them in datasheets? No. All custom builds, higher capacitance in smaller can. And the good ones keep their ratings. I am sure it can be done…
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

They are Teapo. They don't fake their ratings.

Comment

I can test them, that will settle it They do look small for 680

Comment

Go ahead

Comment

They may be fake Teapos if it isn't an elder series that's out of production. I've never heard of a "SW" series from them and cannot find a datasheet of such anywhere. If they are fake Teapos, it's also possible their capacitance is indeed fake. I would also take into account that can size is not always a surefire indicator of capacitance/voltage/temperature rating (datasheets show that they vary from capacitor to capacitor, but as they vary, usually the ESR rating goes lower and the ripple rating goes higher). I've seen 470uF/200V caps that look like 560uF/200V caps and 680uF caps that do not necessarily look as large as they should (the former link's unit is a Huntkey, the latter is from FSP). Note how those 470uF capacitors look larger than the 680uF ones in the links.
                  Last edited by Wester547; 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah if they wouldn't even bother to put ANY input filtering into their PSU, I wouldn't doubt that they would put fake Teapo input caps in there. I will test them at work tomorrow.

Comment

Might be an older series no longer in production.. who would want to fake a Teapo? haha...
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Who would want to fake Teapos? Of course, no one would... surely not?!

It's not as if they are used in millions of pieces of equipment around the world, is it?

Here's how it happens: Old-stock dealer bumps into manufacturer, they end up using these caps because "Teapo always worked well, <x% failure rate". But it turns out the old-stock dealer just ordered these caps from OneHungLow Fail Capacitor Company with "incorrect" labels.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

My Teapo LXK 470uF caps (ex 200W FSP) are the same size and diameter as HEC 220s, with Su'scon 220s being slightly smaller; all three being 200V rated.

Comment

Isn't that because chinese manufacturers just 1up the label when they sleeve it?

Comment

I've dug this in junk to use under a project I am leader of (a room for students for making architecture models). It was whole ASUS Vintage-AE1 computer. According to UL, this PSU seems to be some kind of Bestec. Notice how they solved any potential problem with +5 V SB by using big 2200uF Chemi-Con KZE on the rail. I think that saved them huge number of RMA's. It seems built well enough to do 250 W even with those 470uF Fuhjyyus or what crap that is on primary.

There has been two bulged Chemi-Cons KZG on the board, near MOSFETS next to AGP. Most likely there has been more powerfull graphics in there before. Now one thing is replacing all KZG's on the board with KZE's which I mined on other dead boards anyway. But other thing would be replacing those Jamicons inside the PSU. You see, I won't get them paid much easily, the pricks here would talk bullshit abotu conflict of interests and so. And I won't be giving my nice Chemi-Cons KY for free, right?

So I will just consider that a test. It will mine bitcoin for me 24/7 (as a reward for those caps on board but with that Athlon 64 3000+ it's not like I'll make fortune on that, probably less than a buck a year ) next to regular office-like use. After like half a year (if it won't start crashing sooner) I will have a look at the caps. If they'd be all shit, than I will say the usuall stuff: I will repair it for 1/3 the price of a new so-so PSU, your choice
                              Attached Files

Comment

Definitely looks like a Bestec. Those primaries are probably CapXon. Nice, gotta get something for your work

Comment

Decent Andyson unit. Not 500W though. Good heatsinks, nice input caps for a non PFC unit, GBU806. I think it's good for 350W, the transformer probably couldn't handle more than that. 30A schottky for all rails. Gonna recap it and put it in a build with a Core 2 Duo and a GTX 260, should be perfect for that. What do you guys think about it?
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Pentium4; 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, transformer seems to be ERL-35. Well if you have equipment, try to load it? Maybe it works on higher frequency? Cause to be honest, many bigger supplies which DO provide their rated power do NOT have huge transformers as well. Maybe there is something on it?

Btw remove that plastic crap on the fan…

Comment

Does it make a difference that this thing is designed to only run on 115VAC? Doesn't the stupid plastic thing direct air flow? i wish i had a load tester

Comment

I think that just the rectifying bridge has to be twice the current. There should be voltage doubler arroudn those caps so after that you have 325 V, too.

Yes, that is the idea, now in reality it only effective decreases total airflow. How that could be good for anything I don't understand. On some PSUs, for example OEM Seasonics, that plastic thing is even wider.

Comment

The plastic does help, leave it there.

It creates a difference in air pressure which keeps air pockets from being created so the air actually moves out of the power supply.

You can experiment with some cigarette smoke and low rpm and by replacing the lid with the fan with one that's transparent so that you can actually see the air trapped there.

Yes, it's voltage doubler, you can see the blue wire going to somewhere between the two large caps.

Comment

Working...
                                          X