X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG LCD 37LC2D - diagonal/fuzzy lines

HISTORY
    =======

This is my friend's LG 37 inch LCD TV 37LC2D. It was made around Sept 2006. It has been working fine until recently when the display started looking like the picture attached when watch cable TV.

MEASUREMENTS
    ============

None. I do NOT have access to this TV to take any voltage measurements. The TV is at his house and I don't live close to him. He doesn't have a multimeter and does not know much about electronics.

PICTURES
    ========

I convinced him to open up the TV and take pictures. He works night shift and sleeps during the day so the pictures aren't the greatest, but I see no bloated caps and neither does he.

SERVICE MANUAL
    ==============

The symptoms of the TV look like page 22, but unfortunately, I can't do any of the troubleshooting steps outlined. Manual is at

QUESTION
    ========

So given the lack of access to the TV, what would be your best guess as what is wrong? And yes, I realize this is a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario. He may consider re-opening up the TV and letting me have a more in depth look at a future date.

edit: I'm hoping this TV is old enough that people have dealt with this issue before?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: LG LCD 37LC2D - diagonal/fuzzy lines

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    HISTORY
    =======

This is my friend's LG 37 inch LCD TV 37LC2D. It was made around Sept 2006. It has been working fine until recently when the display started looking like the picture attached when watch cable TV.

MEASUREMENTS
    ============

None. I do NOT have access to this TV to take any voltage measurements. The TV is at his house and I don't live close to him. He doesn't have a multimeter and does not know much about electronics.

PICTURES
    ========

I convinced him to open up the TV and take pictures. He works night shift and sleeps during the day so the pictures aren't the greatest, but I see no bloated caps and neither does he.

SERVICE MANUAL
    ==============

The symptoms of the TV look like page 22, but unfortunately, I can't do any of the troubleshooting steps outlined. Manual is at

QUESTION
    ========

So given the lack of access to the TV, what would be your best guess as what is wrong? And yes, I realize this is a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario. He may consider re-opening up the TV and letting me have a more in depth look at a future date.

edit: I'm hoping this TV is old enough that people have dealt with this issue before?
    The first line raises a question. You said the problem occurs "when watch cable TV". How about when they are using one of the other inputs? What do the menus look like?

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      The first line raises a question. You said the problem occurs "when watch cable TV". How about when they are using one of the other inputs? What do the menus look like?
      He just tested a DVD and says the problem exists as well. He then went on to test all inputs and the same thing. He doesn't use his DVD much, just watches cable TV sports.

The lines also appear when the TV menu setup button is pressed.

He says sound works fine, but lines cover the rest of the screen. He can make out shadows of people (like sports desk commentators).
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

TCON or panel.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          TCON or panel.
          Thanks PlainBill. That is what I was thinking as well, but I wanted someone to confirm/verify.

I'll see if he is game to reopen the TV and get a part number for the tcon. From my initial research, it looks like the tcon board is fairly generic and used in other non LG TV models.

It looks like the tcon is around $30 to $50 USD. I'll let him make the financial decision as to proceed or not with a tcon replacement.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

After some patient ebay watching, I bought the t-con from a USA seller for a reasonable price and shipping to Canada.

It arrived Christmas Eve, gave it to my friend on Christmas Day, and he reports today that the replacement t-con has fixed his TV.

When searching for 37lc2d on the Internet, I found that many sellers listed this with the description 6870C-0060H. So I switched my search criteria from 37lc2d to 6870C-0060H. This listed several more lower cost optons and I noticed that this board is used in many other TV lcd models (RCA, Olevia, Syntax, Mintek, Sharp, Vizio).

My friend says to PlainBill. Thanks PlainBill for helping on this.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X