Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what the capacitors on an MSI 790GX-G65 are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what the capacitors on an MSI 790GX-G65 are?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/790gxg65/2.htm

Probably the best photos I could find.

I don't own one of these boards but I might.

They say they are solid capacitors but that doesn't mean they are good, right?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Anyone know what the capacitors on an MSI 790GX-G65 are?

No, solid caps are good if they are REALLY name brand solid caps.
    Thing is some lytics look like poly but aren't.

Looks fine in the pics but that doesn't guarantee anything.
    -
    Manufacturers change caps during production all the time so what you see may not be what you get.
    -
    I know this is going on with this particular board because if you troll the web for pics of it you will see a version with all blue marked caps and other version[s] with a mix of red marked and blue marked caps.
    -
    I suspect it's fine. The blue look like Chemicon and the red like FPCAPs with are both good, but then again I didn't see any close-ups to know for sure.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

yeah, they could be sacon fz for all we know
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I thought Sacon FZ always had FZ on them?

Those fake solid caps, they look the same but they have a vent stamped in the top...

There is some kind of brand logo on the red ones, looks like a T or R and L?
        Why must these kind be so hard to ID?!

Can't they just write the name down the side like a normal electrolytic?
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I didn't see any close enough to read any of that.

To be fair Sacon FZ are crap, but they aren't 'fake poly'.
          People that know just enough to get into trouble THINK they are poly but there is nothing illegitimate about lytics with no sleeves.
          No sleeves is the old way to mark them.
          Nichicon has been doing it off-on in some series of lytics for as long as I can remember.
          Yes, FZ have an FZ on them.

If the Logo is an F with a bar above and below then they are Fujitsu Functional Polymer.
          Fujitsu restructured and they are now branded as FPCAP.
          http://www.fpcap.jp/en/company/history.html
          Same thing happened to Sanyo Lytics with are now branded SUNCON.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

the main reason caps are clearcoated and printed is to eliminate pvc from them.
            the ones in the pic are likely fujitsu fpcaps.they used to be yellow/black print.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              To be fair Sacon FZ are crap, but they aren't 'fake poly'.
              People that know just enough to get into trouble THINK they are poly but there is nothing illegitimate about lytics with no sleeves.
              I mean comparing these two for example.

The blown graphics card capacitors are electrolytics which just happen to look extremely similar to the real polymer capacitors on the motherboard, right?

Only real difference I can see is that the electrolytics have the usual vent, which the real polymer capacitors don't have.

This is what I mean by "fake", unless I am misunderstanding something there....

To me, it just seems to be a way to trick the buyer into thinking he is getting high quality capacitors because they look almost the same...
              Attached Files
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24
                The blown graphics card capacitors are electrolytics which just happen to look extremely similar to the real polymer capacitors on the motherboard, right?
                Yes, they just happen to look like poly but aren't.
                Those shown are indeed Sacon FZ series.
                -
                Thing about Sacon FZ is they -abuse- the fact that they look like Poly.
                - Sacon FZ come with blue marking to -look like- Chemicon Poly.
                - Sacon FZ also come with black markings to -look like- Nichicon Poly.

Only real difference I can see is that the electrolytics have the usual vent, which the real polymer capacitors don't have.
                True Polymer caps do not have vents.
                Functional Polymer caps may have vents. [Some common sizes do.]
                Electrolytics 8mm and up have vents.
                Electrolytic 6.3mm and down may have vents but often don't.

This is what I mean by "fake", unless I am misunderstanding something there....

To me, it just seems to be a way to trick the buyer into thinking he is getting high quality capacitors because they look almost the same...
                Correct.
                - When I discovered that FZ are[were?] available with either blue or black markings any doubt in my mind that the buyer confusion was deliberate was erased. Sacon is[was] doing look-alike on purpose.

The brand seems to have gone *poof* [again] but there are still zillions of these cap out there already installed and possibly some in supplier stock piles.

Sacon FZ have also been found on Jetway and Biostar motherboards.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Vents are there to allow gases that may form inside to escape without blowing parts of the cap all over from it exploding.
                  The need for a vent depends on the chemicals used and the size [internal volume] of the capacitor.
                  If there isn't enough 'potential' gas inside [by the kind of chemicals or the volume of chemicals] to pressurize the can enough to push the bung out [which can send the aluminum outer can on a little journey in the vicinity of your LIVE circuits] then they won't have vents.
                  4mm and 5mm electrolytics rarely have vents. Too little volume so not enough pressure can build to push the bung out.
                  With 6mm and 6.3mm electrolytics it's some do some don't.
                  8mm and up nearly always have vent though I have seen some very very short 8mm diameter that don't have a vent, presumably because the internal volume is so small.
                  -
                  That 8mm lytic with no vent is a Rubycon ZL 6.3v 220uF 8mm x 7mm which is common on several models of Dell motherboards near the RAM slots.
                  Un-cap-savy people would think it's a Polymer but the ZL Series markings on it give it away as a Lytic.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    No, solid caps are good if they are REALLY name brand solid caps.
                    But cheap brand electrolytics are crap, is it not the same for polymer?

I mean, take a Fuhjyyu (if they even make them) and a Rubycon polymer...

I have ordered that board today, it should be here today or tomorrow. Then I can post some detailed pictures and we can find out what's what...
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Agent24 I just got an MSI 790FX-GD70 and every cap in it is United Chemi-Con - the caps in your board look identical to these - you should be ok

Comment

But cheap brand electrolytics are crap, is it not the same for polymer?
                        Not sure but don't think so.
                        Haven't seen anything to indicate that either.[Yet.]

What makes cheap lytics crap is the impurities in the aluminum which craps up the liquid electrolyte and breaks it down.
                        Since solid polymer don't have liquid that can't happen.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by dbs
                          Agent24 I just got an MSI 790FX-GD70 and every cap in it is United Chemi-Con - the caps in your board look identical to these - you should be ok
                          Arrived this afternoon, and they all have the United Chemi-Con logo on them

They have to be better than the OST electrolytics in my old board anyway...

No idea what series or value they are though. How are you supposed to interpret the markings?
                          Last edited by Agent24; 11-19-2009, 03:47 AM.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

That's got to be a relief - it's an interesting board too - apparently you can set up crossfire using the on-board video and some of the 3 and 4 series ATI video cards - good luck with your build

Comment

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/image4/...on_solid01.jpg

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X