MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

This motherboard was pulled from a Gateway Flex system. The board is manufactured by MSI, model MS-6312. Of course the caps were fried.

The caps were branded G-Luxon and Teyah.

There were the following values:
    (4) 2700uF 6.3v
    (2) 1500uF 10v
    (3) 1000uF 10v

I substituted the 2700uF caps with 2200uF caps, replacing the rest with their stock values, and the board runs perfectly.

Thinking about buying that cow now?!?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

i get a lot of those in for service.
    besides caps look for busted usb sockets.cheap,flimsy junk.
    had 10 of those little pizza boxes in and all had bad caps and busted usb.
    hard to find that tripple deck usb too.
    the dammed things dont have ps2 either.

Comment

That's the first thing I saw was the fact that this board had no PS/2 ports... I had to go out and buy a USB keyboard just to test it afterward... Thankfully, the USB port housing is in perfect shape, as flimsy as they are... The owner seems to take good care of it... I can see how they would fall apart, they've very cheesy... If the housing were bad, I'd just have scrapped the board....
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I have one of these boards that needs to be recapped. I got it from a friend who had no idea what was wrong with it. Mine also has 4, 470uf caps that are bad also.

This is not a system I would have bought. My friend has not bought a Gateway system since buying this one.

Navy-ATC
        HAFND

Comment

If you want it recapped, I can do it, and so can KC8ADU. Feel free to PM.

TC
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I have one of these boards as well, but it has Jackcon 2700uf caps and Tayeh 1000uf caps and all "appear" ok. It was a warranty replacement board for a buddies Gateway after the 1st one died (probally caps). He damaged this one with a slip of a screwdriver tring to get the heatsink off to replace the 533 Celeron with a 700.

Comment

same board, (there are 6 total) the two 10mm jackcon 1500uF 10v caps by the RAM slots are blown.

cheap pos caps

Comment

Just some FYI...

Those are the ubiquitous boards from MSI, they used to have info on them then they no longer had it since they were special OEM boards based on the Intel i810/i810e chipsets. They were called "Brooking" boards. I had one and sold it on Ebay...I just recently was given an IBM net-vista machine, similar motherboard.

These boards were the new whizz-bang legacy free boards, depending on the stuffing. My board has the legacy connectors on it, the previous one did not.

MD
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

the recap wen't well, and the board is working fine again.

will take some pics

Comment

same board, in a Gateway Essentials 950c (FlexATX). The mb also is identified by Gateway's # 4000740.

The bulging caps (5 out of 16 at this point) are all Chhsi:
                    (3) 1000uF 6.3v
                    (2) 1500uF 10v

there are a line of 4 JackCon caps near the PSU (next to the CPU) which haven't bulged at all yet.

I had planned to replace the 5 bulged ones, then see if the computer started. If it did, I would have replaced the remaing ones. However, being in a small town, and only being an amateur trying to fix this one board, my biggest problem is in finding the replacement caps. No local store seems to have them, and ordering online means paying more in shipping and handling than for the caps themselves. I would still order online, except there is no way to know if replacing them will make the computer actually run or not.

Comment

Where abouts do you live and what are the diameter of the caps..send me a PM

MD
                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Thank you for this forum, I now fell that the problem of my Dads PC has been found.
                        I had it kicking around for a couple of years and even had a Tech look it over.

I've bought a Powersupply but that wasn't it....

But now that I have found this page and its great pictures of the boards, I am 99.9% sure the [2] green 1500uF caps are gone.

I should of saw them right off but I went to the power on/off switch next.

Thanks again guys keep up the great posts, now where did I put my black tape for those wires.
                        If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving might not be for you.

Comment

Flex board story

I have personally seen about 6 of these boards fail. Some I have been able to re-cap with no problems, some not. I suppose that it depends on the level of damage that the board has taken.
                          I also have an interesting story about Gateway. I had a customer with a Gateway laptop with a bad keyboard. It was past the warranty so I called Gateway to buy a new one and they wouldn't sell it to me! They wanted me to ship the laptop back and have them replace it. Avoid the Cow at all costs!

Comment

My granddad has a comp based on 1 of those boards. Noticed 1 badcap on it when I was checking out its cooling situation. He never turns the box on though....
                            The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

I just had one of these boards die on me. When I turn on the computer the green light turns on but the screen remains blank. The keyboard doesn't seem to function either (num lock, etc lights don't turn on.) It could be a problem with the CPU but I'm more prone to think that it's the motherboard.

I'm not sure how to check what the problem is at this point. I'll try swapping CPUs or motherboard later and see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

I'm not sure how to check what the problem is at this point.
                                check all the caps out first before you start swapping components, considering the brands of caps that MSI use you should see some bulging or leaking, post some pics if you like. no point starting troubleshooting if the caps are leaking/bulging.
                                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  check all the caps out first before you start swapping components, considering the brands of caps that MSI use you should see some bulging or leaking, post some pics if you like. no point starting troubleshooting if the caps are leaking/bulging.
                                  Thanks for your prompt reply. I didn't see it until today because it showed up on a new page . I don't remember seeing any leaking or bulging caps. Will post pics later today as I don't have the board with me currently.

Comment

You might want to find a shop that has a POST card. I believe that it must be PCI for this application. That may narrow down the problem if you can't find anything visually. Good luck!

Comment

Add Another to the Group

I was amazed when I found this site and the info on it.

I've been working on this board from a Gateway 300S, MSI 6312 motherboard and found these;

The power supply is also bad as it won't start under load with just a single hard drive attached to it. I'll be replacing the caps this week as the mother board works with another supply but has interference lines in the video. I'm hoping the cap replacement cures the video interference.

Attached Files

Comment

thats an everyday sight here.
                                        i have a customer with over 850 of those gagway boxes in pos service and are stuck with them.
                                        funny.a pos in pos service.

Comment

Working...
                                        X