Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I assist my monitor with resolution/contrast/refresh rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I assist my monitor with resolution/contrast/refresh rates?

I have a limited understanding of monitors. I was told, when I purchased my monitor, that something inside the monitor was adjusted so that it could display a resolution of 1600 x whatever, but contrast had to be sacrificed to accomplish this, and this was why the monitor is somewhat dark. Truth be told, I have to have the brightness and contrast up all the way, and the only reason the picture looks right is because of the adjustments in the nVidia toolbar! (raised gamma)

If this is true, what is it inside of the monitor which is stressed so that these sort of sacrifices must be made? And is there any portion of the monitor which I could modify, by recapping perhaps, which would help the monitor be more stable at high resolutions, also allowing me to raise my refresh rate, and also allow me to raise the contrast back up so this monitor is not so dark? I have always run a refresh rate of 60Hz, regardless of my resolution, just to go easy on my monitor.

Also, would it help to try and find some sort of very high quality 13W3 cable? Mine came with a 3' cable and using any form of extension will cause the picture to ghost.
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: Can I assist my monitor with resolution/contrast/refresh rates?

cable won't help.

increasing g2 voltage(on the flyback, usually under the focus pot) might.

also, read this
    http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/restore-crt.html

as for sacrifice, if you have beam that travels faster, it means you can't get same brightness as when it travels slow...
    but this shouldn't be a problem in recent monitors...they should have ok brightness across the span of resolutions and refresh rates they work with.

60hz? not wise. because that's not easy for the eyes, and between monitor and my eyes, i'll always prefer eyes.
    i run it at 100hz.
    and judging by my previous monitor(adi 15" hehe..) this doesn't hurt it at all.
    when i retired it it's tube was still excellent...philips-lg tube if i remember correctly...

for lcds this is non-issue, they work ar 60hz and people usually bitch they're too bright...but they have other issues that will make me stack few more crts...

Comment

dont do it.
      you will cause failure in h-out section from running at an unsupported scan rate.
      danger signs are a bright line at the edges of the picture(foldover) or poor lineartity.

Comment

>you will cause failure in h-out section from running at an unsupported scan rate

in what century are you living?
        monitors don't have "out of range" protection nowdays?

again, 60hz is a disaster for the eyes.
        if you're running very high resolution, then bring it down, just please don't stay on 60hz.
        it's the tv refresh rate and you're surely not reading as much off the tv screen...

i'm surprised if you don't have headaches...

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
          >in what century are you living?
          monitors don't have "out of range" protection nowdays?
          He was probably paying attention to what sort of monitor I have by watching another thread. My monitor cannot even begin to classify as part of nowadays!
          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

adi from 2000 has it. your monitor is older?

if it doesn't have protection then find supported resolution/refresh rates in its manual.

or just ditch it, as it seems tube is dying.

Comment

Working...
            X