Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung "BlinkMaster" 206BW Screen Flicker, Requesting cap selection help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung "BlinkMaster" 206BW Screen Flicker, Requesting cap selection help.

I have a Samsung "BlinkMaster" 206bw with flicker of death. I have attached a picture with the caps noted. All are CapXon.

1. 470uf 35v
    2. 1000uf 25v
    3. 470uf 25v
    4. 1uf 50v
    5. 22uf 50v
    6. 120uf 450v

I am looking at the caps in the attached excel document.

Have I chosen sufficient replacements?

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung "BlinkMaster" 206BW Screen Flicker, Requesting cap selection help.

It should work but you don't need to replace the big 450v cap. I've recapped a few of these monitors and never replaced the big one and never had any issues.

Comment

Whilst Mr Bill has already said you probably dont need the BIG cap the one
      you have picked seems to have odd descriptions.
      It does say through hole but it also says snap in.
      The datasheet indicates only short legs so if it is a short leg snap-in
      You would have to solder legs onto it or use the existing legs -cut off. One problem might be that they are often fatter than a normal cap so you would have to check the space available.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yeah its the same as the last monitor I fixed just a different value. I cut the leads on the old cap and just soldered the new cap to them.

Thanks Guys.

Comment

Monitor fixed. Thanks guys This forum is great.

Comment

Did you replace the big cap? That can cause the blinking sometimes.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yeah I just replaced them all for good measure.

Comment

Did you have to extend the leads somehow for the primary cap, or were they long enough that you could bend them into the hole? Because the one you picked is snap-in... Good choices otherwise... Parts you picked are top notch.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I just cut the leads off the old cap and left them on the board then soldered the new cap to them.

Comment

New problem I initially diagnosed it as bad caps. I replaced all the caps on it and it worked for a bit. Now I get a very fast screen flicker. I rechecked and re soldered all my caps and am still getting the same symptom. How should I proceed? leaving the unit on for a few minutes and it fades out completely and flashes on very dim every 5-10 secs. then after a few more minutes nothing.

Comment

Do you have any spare bulbs an old monitor or laptop you can use to substitute bulbs.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I have some bulbs I can pull from another monitor.

Comment

You do not need to pull completely down as far as bulbs -(easy to break) just try and get to the panel.
                          If the plugs are the same you can simply try one or two in place of the
                          206bw bulbs and see if the flickering stops/changes.
                          Have you tried reducing the brightness and changing the resolution?
                          What does the power light do when the screen flickers.
                          Last edited by selldoor; 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Resolution change/adjusting brightness/ switching input from analog to digital does not change symptom. Power light is on solid like it should be in normal operation.

Comment

I intend to try fix my 206BW monitor in a few days. (It blinks, so I guess the problem is with the three capacitors marked 2,2,3 in the image in the first post)

Is it necessary to discharge any capacitors prior to desoldering/soldering the faulty capacitors?

If it is, how do you recommend I do that?

Thanks.

Comment

Haggai - if the set has been un plugged for an hour before you start the caps should have discharged. You can check by testing across them with a multimeter set on
                                200 vdc. If they read 5 to 25vdc discharge them with a 1k or 2k 25w resistor. (Some just use a screwdriver! -less than 5v just go ahead and desolder it wont shock you.
                                Last edited by selldoor; 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

What about the other caps? Specifically the 450V one.
                                  If I don't short it and don't desolder it I don't have to worry about it? Can't it still provide voltage/current to the circuit part I'm touching?

Comment

Okay, never mind, I just measured the voltage across the capacitors, and none (including the 450V) had more than a couple mV on them. The 450V had 55mV, I guess that's safe...

Comment

Yes - quite safe

Comment

Yayyy it worked!!
                                        Now let's hope those Nichicons I put there will hold better than the CapXon that bulged...

Comment

Working...
                                        X