chimei cmv 221a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chimei cmv 221a

Alright, I have a Chimei CMV221A and the problem I'm having is turning the monitor on. Basically it just had a rough time turning on when cold. A while ago it stopped powering completely.

I opened the back and pulled out the board, and this is what it looks like. I'm not at all educated about resistors, conductors, or capacitors at all, but I found the white stuff, and transparent brown stuff to be suspicious. (I don't know if they're leakage or for support) All I really need to know though is if this is the problem or not. I have another monitor, same exact one, just the other one has a cracked screen, but still powers up fine.

Re: chimei cmv 221a

Originally posted by Spot View Post
    I opened the back and pulled out the board, and this is what it looks like. I'm not at all educated about resistors, conductors, or capacitors at all, but I found the white stuff, and transparent brown stuff to be suspicious. (I don't know if they're leakage or for support)
    1) We prefer pictures uploaded to this website using the manage attachments function.

2) 7 out of the 10 electrolytic capacitors are visibly bloated (domed). They are bad. Even though the photo is out of focused, they look like Capxon branded caps. Capxon makes terrible quality caps.

3) Make a list of ALL your caps (uF, voltage, height, and diameter) and replace them with Panasonic FR or FM "low ESR" caps. You don't have to replace the largest one since it rarely, but not never, fails.

4) The white stuff is glue used to hold the components in place during manufacturing process.

5) The brown stuff is to protect the user from high voltage.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Most of the white and brown stuff is glue / adhesive for holding the components in place.

Just looking at the picture, I would say there are at least five of the capacitors on the left side that are buldging.

To quote retiredcaps:
      Capacitors (C designation on the PCB board) die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm).

Please post clear focused pictures of the front and back of the board. Do not post them in-line and / or host them off-site.

retiredcaps beat me to it......

Comment

Alright, that's very helpful. I'm thinking of taking some college courses to learn more about electronics, would be a very useful skill to be able to know more on how to replace this and such. I have another monitor which is the same one, I can probably use the board from that for a while, but since it too uses Capxon I don't imagine it will last too long.

I don't have any soldering skills yet. Can you guys recommend a good soldering tool, and what brand of caps would you guys use?

Comment

Originally posted by Spot View Post
          I don't have any soldering skills yet. Can you guys recommend a good soldering tool, and what brand of caps would you guys use?
          1) This board has a good solder FAQ.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

2) CuriousInventor has an excellent solder tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

3) I already answered the brand of caps question in my earlier post. You can get them from digikey or mouser. You can follow PlainBill's instructions at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=399

4) If you are going to solder a lot in the future, invest in a Hakko or Weller. If this is a "one time" fix, I usually sort by lowest price and buy something off ebay for around $4 (40W iron). Radio Shack in the USA will also have solder irons, desolder pumps, solder, etc. You can also get the same from ebay.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
          X