Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Thanks for the replies. I'll pull the back off of it tonight or this weekend and get some pics. A sticker on the back of the monitor warns of high voltage. Is there anything in particular I should avoid touching? Obviously, I'll have it unplugged but is there anything that will hold voltage that I should be aware of?
    Last edited by beespecial; 10-21-2011, 05:18 AM. Reason: added question

Comment

Originally posted by beespecial View Post
      Thanks for the replies. I'll pull the back off of it tonight or this weekend and get some pics. A sticker on the back of the monitor warns of high voltage. Is there anything in particular I should avoid touching? Obviously, I'll have it unplugged but is there anything that will hold voltage that I should be aware of?
      Not really, as long as the power cord is unplugged. There is a cap that can store up to 400 volts, but that will be discharged within minutes by the surrounding circuitry.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well, it's taken me longer than expected to get this thing apart but here are the pics.

I've already replaced the monitor but would still like to get this one working again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's taken me longer than expected to get this thing apart but here are the pics.

I've already replaced the monitor but would still like to get this one working again.
          Start by checking F1 on the inverter. It's just below the BA9741F, near the input connector.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            Start by checking F1 on the inverter. It's just below the BA9741F, near the input connector.

PlainBill
            Ok, I've found it now what do I check for and how? I have a multimeter. Do I need to release the board from the frame? Remember, this is a first for me so instructions need to be explicit. What you probably take for granted, I'm seeing for the first time. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

Remember, this is a first for me so instructions need to be explicit.
              If you have a manual ranging multimeter, set it to 200 (two hundred) ohms. Touch the black and red probe together. It should read 0.3 or 0.4 ohms. If it is higher than 1.0 ohm, there is something wrong with your multimeter.

If your multimeter reads "1" or "OL", it means the measurement is outside your chosen range. Don't confuse "1" on the left hand side of this display with 1.0 on the right hand side. The first means out of range and the second means 1.0 unit of your measurement.

Do NOT use the continuity or "beep" feature of your multimeter for measurements. Some multimeters "beep good" for resistance readings less than 1.5k ohms.

Some boards will have a fuse (F designation) or picofuse (PF designation) and they may be open because a transistor was shorted or some other component went bad.

If you have a manual range multimeter, set it to 200 ohms (two hundred). You can test for open fuses "in circuit" by (with power off and lcd unplugged)

a) put black probe on one pin and red probe on other pin - read/record ohm

A reading of less than 1.0 ohms indicates a good fuse. Anything higher than 1.0 ohm is a sign of an open fuse.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just to be sure I bought a new battery for my multimeter. Old one was 2 years expired. Now when I touch the leads together with the meter set to 200 it displays 33.8 then disappears which is what it did before the battery replacement. When I touch the leads to the sides of F1 nothing displays at all on the meter at any of the ohm settings.

Comment

Now when I touch the leads together with the meter set to 200 it displays 33.8 then disappears which is what it did before the battery replacement.
                  Sounds like your multimeter is dead. What brand and make is your multimeter? A picture of it would also help.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I forgot to add

and/or your test leads are broken.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Gateway FPD1730 -

I own a Gateway FPD 1730 with the power board being a Powernet PWI1504FG. I replaced all the capacitors with the exception of the 0243. I got my hands on another similar board. I replaced the 2 capacitors on the video board (this monitor has only 2 boards), to no effect.
                      Any suggestions are welcomed.
                      In my case I have no light, no power, nada. It's dead.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Gateway FPD1730 -

Originally posted by alex the great View Post
                        I own a Gateway FPD 1730 with the power board being a Powernet PWI1504FG. I replaced all the capacitors with the exception of the 0243. I got my hands on another similar board. I replaced the 2 capacitors on the video board (this monitor has only 2 boards), to no effect.
                        Any suggestions are welcomed.
                        In my case I have no light, no power, nada. It's dead.
                        1. Stop posting in multiple threads.

2. That picture looks suspiciously like a stock picture, which makes me wonder if you are a troll, or just unfamiliar with what we need.

3. If you want help, you will have to do better. That picture is useless for our purposes. We need three pictures. They should be sharp, well lit (but no flash), and at least 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels, but less than 2000 pixels on a side. Attach them in the same manner you did with the others.

The first is a picture of the power supply, taken from directly overhead. The second is a picture of the bottom of the power supply. The third is a picture of the signal card.

PlainBill

Comment

I apologize. I put my monitor together again, I will take pictures of both the power board and video and post them a little bit later.

Comment

Here are the pictures of the Powernet board. I have 2 without flash (didn't come out too good), and 2 with flash (clearer).
                            Attached Files

Comment

I suggest you start by checking the main fuse, F1, located directly behind the power socket. With power off and your meter set to resistance, place your probes across the fuse. You should read between 0 to 1 ohms.

Comment

If the fuse is good, then with a multimeter, measure each pin on connector (bottom left) with respect to ground. List the DC voltage readings along with the expected value.

Put your multimeter on 20V DC (if manual ranging). Put your black probe on a ground screw closest to the connector. Put your red probe on each pin and report it like

Pin # - Legend - Reading
                                Pin 1 - 5V - 4.98
                                Pin 2 - GND - 0.0V
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                X