Gateway fpd1730 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway fpd1730 Problem

Hello! I have this lcd monitor generously donated by a friend who was tired of dealing with its problem. I hooked it up to my PC to test it and let it run a screensaver for about an hour an a half and had no problems. The problem comes in when its simply switched off or goes into standby. When the monitor is switched off, after a period of time it cannot be turned back on...OR...After a period of time in standby, the amber light will go off and the monitor cannot be turned back on. If I unplug the power cord for maybe 5 seconds then everything works fine again, until one of the above things happens. What I do not understand is the noise coming from the power section. It starts as soon as I plug in the monitor and remains even though it is completely off. When switched on the noise goes away until it goes into standby. I have attached a sound file. Maybe the noise is normal, I don't know. Any advice is appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Gateway fpd1730 Problem

Originally posted by pdog_phatpat
    Hello! I have this lcd monitor generously donated by a friend who was tired of dealing with its problem. I hooked it up to my PC to test it and let it run a screensaver for about an hour an a half and had no problems. The problem comes in when its simply switched off or goes into standby. When the monitor is switched off, after a period of time it cannot be turned back on...OR...After a period of time in standby, the amber light will go off and the monitor cannot be turned back on. If I unplug the power cord for maybe 5 seconds then everything works fine again, until one of the above things happens. What I do not understand is the noise coming from the power section. It starts as soon as I plug in the monitor and remains even though it is completely off. When switched on the noise goes away until it goes into standby. I have attached a sound file. Maybe the noise is normal, I don't know. Any advice is appreciated!
    1. Open the monitor up by removing the rear cover and the shield over the electronics.
    2. Look for caps with their tops bulging. If you find them
    3. Order name brand low ESR replacements for ALL caps, even those not bulging
    4. Install the replacements
    5. Close the monitor back up
    6 Enjoy.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! It's already open. No visible bad caps. I'll get pics if you want them. Did you listen to that sound clip? Is that normal?

Comment

Thanks for the reply! It's already open. No visible bad caps. I'll get pics if you want them. Did you listen to that sound clip? Is that normal?
        Do what PlainBill suggested. Post the info. If pics are needed he/we will let you know.
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
        • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
        • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
        • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050
          2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

They symptoms you describe are consistent with bad capacitors. What are the brand and series? Some manufacturers are quite adept at manufacturing caps that fail without any physical sign.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Okay. Bear with me I have a horrible camera and horrible lighting. I'm calling PB the Power Board and it has 4 Rubycon YXG's. LB will be the Logic Board and it's all Teapos and 1 Rubycon YXG. IB is the Inverter Board and it has 2 Sanyo's.
            Attached Files

Comment

Okay. Bear with me I have a horrible camera and horrible lighting. I'm calling PB the Power Board and it has 4 Rubycon YXG's. LB will be the Logic Board and it's all Teapos and 1 Rubycon YXG. IB is the Inverter Board and it has 2 Sanyo's.
              Pictures are good enough. I've seen a lot worse.

First step: Measure the voltage at CN2. Judging by the connector on the logic board, this is a single output supply. I don't see any indication of the rated output voltage, but would expect 12 -18 volts. Of course, you can keep fiddling with it until the monitor does start up. If there is no output voltage initially, replace the two small electrolytic caps at the end of the very large cap.

Next step: If there is output voltage, on the logic board there are two voltage regulators between CN2 and CN5. One of them is U5. What are the voltage on all three pins of those regulators?

PlainBill

Comment

I have 12 volts coming out of the power board. The regulators are U5 and U6. So, looking at the picture with the vga connector at the bottom, from top to bottom pin: U5: 5.05, 3.33, 2.08. U6: 5.05, 2.49, 1.24-1.25.

Comment

I have 12 volts coming out of the power board. The regulators are U5 and U6. So, looking at the picture with the vga connector at the bottom, from top to bottom pin: U5: 5.05, 3.33, 2.08. U6: 5.05, 2.49, 1.24-1.25.
                  So I would assume that U12 and the FET driectly above it step the 12 volts down to 5.0. I'm not sure if there is a 1.25 volt supply on this board.

Were these readings taken with the monitor hooked together? If so, was it working?

I'm about of ideas. The only thing else I can suggest is recapping the logic board and the power supply. It may be a long shot.

PlainBill

Comment

Yeah...the thing is all over the place as far as reliable operation goes. I put everything back together and hooked it to a PC and had picture while I tested it. I had it face down while I was testing it and 2 times it shut off and I had to unplug the power, wait around 30 seconds, plug the power back in and then it was fine. Right now I have it plugged into the PC and am running Serious Sam demos and so far no problems after 2 hours. Confusing.

Comment

Yeah...the thing is all over the place as far as reliable operation goes. I put everything back together and hooked it to a PC and had picture while I tested it. I had it face down while I was testing it and 2 times it shut off and I had to unplug the power, wait around 30 seconds, plug the power back in and then it was fine. Right now I have it plugged into the PC and am running Serious Sam demos and so far no problems after 2 hours. Confusing.
                      Ahaa!!! An intermittent! Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to measure the above voltages when it decides to shut off. Start with the 12 Volt output of the supply.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks for the Help PlainBill. The monitor has worked perfectly since yesterday, so it's making it kinda hard to test. It figures...it's fighting me. I'll continue to use it and see if the problem comes back. I'll post the results when it starts acting up again...and I'm sure it will at some point.

Comment

I own a Gateway FPD 1730 with the power board being a Powernet PWI1504FG. I replaced all the capacitors with the exception of the 0243. I got my hands on another similar board. I replaced the 2 capacitors on the video board (this monitor has only 2 boards), to no effect.
                          Any suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by alex the great View Post
                            Any suggestions are welcomed.
                            1) Post pictures in the same format and composition of YOUR boards like post #6.

2) Describe the problem with your monitor in detail.

3) Do you own a multimeter?
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here is the copy of the board in question.
                              Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alex the great View Post
                                Here is the copy of the board in question.
                                Thanks
                                What's the problem??With the monitor.
                                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                X