Vizio VP50 HDTV10A Replaced 11 Caps No Sound / Black Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio VP50 HDTV10A Replaced 11 Caps No Sound / Black Screen

Hi, I am new but have read extensively through the FAQ and watched videos. Last night I replaced 11 bulging caps. All seemed to be securely soldered and properly oriented. When I plugged it in, the amber LED lot immediately along with a single click. The LED then alienated green for a few seconds and returned to amber. Upon pressing the LED changed to solid green accompanied by another single click. The screen remains black, and there seems to be no sound (I connected an antenna, and cycled the input switch). Historically this TV was bought from Costco, the date of mfg is May of 2007. It did have some odd symptoms from time to time, (pink band, turning itself on, etc.) resolved by unplugging and holding the power button for 30 seconds then restating. The last time I that it worked, I lost picture and shortly after I lost sound. No attempts at resetting helped. Does anyone have ideas for what to try next? I have attached a picture of the layout of the TV and the board itself. Thank you for your time and willingness to share your knowledge.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bphodges; 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM. Reason: typo correction

Re: Vizio VP50 HDTV10A Replaced 11 Caps No Sound / Black Screen

You will have to replace all of the caps except for 4. I think there are 25 or so.

The 2 large 450v 330uf,1 450v 68uf and 1 250v 820uf probably wont need changed.

When psu is working correctly, when first plugged into AC power psu will click once in about 5 seconds then 10-20 seconds later will click again. PSU will now be in stand-by mode. Front LED should be orange.

There are 4 different standby voltages present on PSU on separate connectors, you will need to check them after the recap.

Edit..... see post here about standby volts and where they are on psu.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=14
    Last edited by MagicSmoke; 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you. So, just to be sure, I need to go back and replace the remainder of the caps (except the big ones) and then check 4 voltages with the tv in standby mode. I just reread my post. When it clicks the light goes from amber to green and stays green until I shut down
      Last edited by bphodges; 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by bphodges View Post
        Thank you. So, just to be sure, I need to go back and replace the remainder of the caps (except the big ones) and then check 4 voltages with the tv in standby mode.
        Yes, check volts at connectors listed in other post. The connectors are labeled for volts @ each pin. All checked without turning TV on.

Just to clarify. Before pressing power button......Does your psu click twice within 30seconds after plugging into AC?
        Last edited by MagicSmoke; 01-25-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Just one click. LED flashes 6 or 7 times then turns solid green. No second click. I will have to order at least one more cap. A 10v 330uf. Not in my kit. Thanks again.

Comment

You can use a capacitor with a higher voltage if you have one. Say a 25v instead of a 10v.

UF has to stay the same or might cause issues with the circuit it's in.

Comment

Thank you. I'll take a look at what I have tonight after work.

Comment

hello. sorry I haven't abandoned this but got caught up in another pressing project and later nights at work.

i have replaced 20 caps (all that were in the kit) there are still a few that I will request from the supplier.
                I need a 10V 330uF, 10V 3300uF, 50V 10uF, 100V 330uF and a 25V 100uF.

I pulled a rookie move after removing one of the caps. It got mixed with the ones I had already pulled (long dull story).It was one that I didn't have a replacement for. I have a picture, maybe you can help me identify which cap I need to put in this socket, marked C285.
                As before, thank you for your generous support.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Hey I fixed my TV! A first for me, but it is the second TV that I worked on. What?
                    Okay. Here is where we stand now. My Vizio VP322HDTV10A died while I had the VP50 apart. I couldn't be without a working TV in the house for much longer or there might be a mutiny.

I sent for the parts, and after communication back and forth we determined what I needed for the 50" as well. The kit for the smaller TV VP322 arrived Saturday, so I immediately went to work. I had the job done in about 30 minutes. It works great, maybe better than it has since we have owned it (inherited from mother in law a couple years ago).

So then I read more, and followed the link you gave for testing instructions, reread and printed it. I then looked at the whole thread. The other guy had found a bad solder joint (and in fact a bad part as well), so I took my extra strong magnifiers and put it under a desk lamp for close inspection. I found a problem. I had installed a capacitor (C262) offset so that one lead was in a hole for the capacitor and the other in an unused hole. I desoldered it and placed it properly then resoldered it. It was in the right place, but it was loose. I resoldered it a couple times with the same result. I then cleaned the tip of the soldering iron on a wet sponge and scrubbed the area of the board for built up flux, etc. I soldered it in and now it was solid.

I plugged it in and immediately got one click and a few seconds later a second click. The amber light came on right away, after the second click it began alternating green and amber several times eventually going to solid amber. I then hit the power button and the light turned green but no click or any other action. The green stayed on until I pushed the power button again but there was no click just the LED alternating amber and green several times finally settling to amber.

I haven't checked the voltages yet because I need to get thinner probe tips to fit in to measure them.

I should have some more Caps coming within a couple of days. What do you think?
                    Thank you again for your time and help.
                    Last edited by bphodges; 04-05-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

the missing cap in the c285 slot is 10v 330uf
                      did you get it working?

Comment

Thank you for confirming that. . I found that cap and replaced it. I am not sure if it is accurate, but have been getting low voltages. I replaced more of the caps, most of which seem to test Okay with meter. I did find one that tests bad. From memory I think it was the 100 330uf, a larger cap. I haven't had any improvement really. I plug it in and get a click, a few seconds later I get a second click. The LED flashes amber several times and goes to solid. As described in my last post. I don't know if it would be helpful but I recorded the sequence on video. I am going to try a different DMM, as the one I have may not be getting good readings. The probe tips are a bit thick to fit into the spaces on the plugs where the wires enter them. Thank you for your time and for shading your knowledge.

Comment

no prob, got the same issue. looked on my board for the info. my screen comes on for 1 second then off. power still on though.

Comment

home depot has a nice dmm for reasonable price. mfr Ideal

Comment

Originally posted by MagicSmoke View Post
                              You can use a capacitor with a higher voltage if you have one. Say a 25v instead of a 10v.

UF has to stay the same or might cause issues with the circuit it's in.

Uf does not have to stay the same, you can use a higher Uf cap in place.

For example if you need to replace a 1000uf 16v and you only have a 1500uf 25v it is totally fine to do that.

Now you cannot go SUPER above the Uf rating so try to stay close to the original but using a higher Uf will not hard anything. I have done it several times and all the panels I have done it to are still going.

Comment

That's good to know. I thought that you could only go up on voltage, but that the uF had to stay the same. I will check out Home Depot, or maybe order one from Amazon. I had one from Harbor Freight that seemed Okay, but have misplaced it during a move a few months ago. If I get this done and working I may start looking for another project. I'm new to this stuff but it is kind of fun and a lot less messy than working on cars.
                                Last edited by bphodges; 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM. Reason: corrected typo.

Comment

GREAT NEWS!!!!!! IT WORKS!! replaced 7 bulged caps to no avail then changed the rest of them and now it works. Didn't even test the smaller cheap ones only the bigger 3300 uf 10v ones.
                                  For 75 cents, it wasn't worth pulling an old one and putting it back in. Found all the caps i needed at radio shack. Strongly recommend a nice solder kit with magnifier and desolder pump ($39). Marked new caps in blue and reused caps in red to make it easier if it craps out again. Thanks for letting me but into your thread and all the smarties with their wisdom. (Smoke is King) What a great forum!

Comment

That is great news! Congratulations. I will go back and finish repacking the last few small caps. Hopefully I will have success too. I got sidetracked by a needed auto repair that had taken my spare time this week And I teach a class Tues. And Thurs. nights. I should be able to complete the change out and have a new DMM tomorrow night or Saturday. I hope I have your success. Great job.

Comment

i replaced more caps (I think all of them by now). I replaced the board and plugged it in. I got my 2 clicks and was in standby mode. I checked the voltages as directed.

P800: Red RL-DN 0.03V, Orange 5Vsb 5.00V, Brown DET 0.00V, Brown 5VD 0.03V
                                      CN805: Bottom pins0.00V
                                      CN807 0.0V, 0.0V, 0.0V
                                      CN802: 0V
                                      CN803: 0V
                                      CN809: 0V
                                      I have a solder joint or two that are a bit questionable. When I put my finger on the caps in question, I do see a slight bit of movement at the wire/solder joint on the underside. I have resoldered repeatedly with a hot iron, pre-cleaned with alcohol and a Q-tip and with a generous amount of paste flux. What could I be doing wrong? Is this the likely cause of the voltage failures?
                                      Thanks again.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                                        X