SuitCase PC. :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SuitCase PC. :/

This one is only about 9 months old. It should be fine until I find a better one. Also, I'm not of the opinion that all cheap PSUs are motherboard killers. I have used several, including a few codegens, and they have been fine. In fact, I've seen more motherboards taken out by Antecs than any other brand.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

gutless wonders take out hard drives. an allied killed one in a computer i bought secondhand once.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
        This one is only about 9 months old. It should be fine until I find a better one. Also, I'm not of the opinion that all cheap PSUs are motherboard killers. I have used several, including a few codegens, and they have been fine. In fact, I've seen more motherboards taken out by Antecs than any other brand.
        Ehhh, just be weary of it. Without an Oscilloscope you can't tell how much ripple it is treating your board with. There are plenty of cheapies out there that pump out 200mv of ripple at idle. *cough*linkworld*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
          gutless wonders take out hard drives. an allied killed one in a computer i bought secondhand once.
          I hardly see them take HDDs out either

Got some good news, though. I scored myself an Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU which is short enough to fit. Opened it up and, no fuhjyyu. The caps are all OST. It's an improvment, but I'm still going to re-cap it.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It's a low end FSP build then. Don't know if the brand new ones are delta yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
              It's a low end FSP build then. Don't know if the brand new ones are delta yet.
              No, I believe it's Seasonic made. IIRC Basiq are the only series made by FSP.

Comment

Whoops, was thinking of the basiq. I saw 380W and immediately thought of basiq.

Comment

Almost done. Just need some DDR2 RAM. I got a 15 inch monitor and have mounted it into the briefcase. It sticks out a bit but it works. I borrowed some RAM (512MB) from another PC temporarily. I've installed Ubuntu Linux 9.10 on it and it's powering this post. will get some pics soon.

Comment

Almost done. Just need some DDR2 RAM. I got a 15 inch monitor and have mounted it into the briefcase. It sticks out a bit but it works. I borrowed some RAM (512MB) from another PC temporarily. I've installed Ubuntu Linux 9.10 on it and it's powering this post. will get some pics soon.
                    sweet.
                    My Computer.
                    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Quick update. Got a 1GB DDR2 RAM Module and a 160GB WD Hard drive for it. I've also ordered a small keyboard.

Comment

Got a picture of it now. Currently, specs are:
                        Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2L motherboard
                        Athlon X2 3200+
                        1GB DDR2 RAM
                        160GB WD HDD
                        Lite-on CD Burner (Still thinking about upgrading this)
                        380W Antec Earthwatts PSU (Partially re-capped with Panny FM and FJ)
                        Samsung 151S Monitor
                        Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 (64 bit)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like something you would see in an old sci-fi movie .
                          It's still cool, though.

Comment

It's completed now and is powering this post!! Here are the pics.

It's definitely not an ultraportable notebook. It's much bigger and heavier than I had originally hoped for (one advantage of using a gutless wonder PSU!) and, obviously, there is no battery. The main advantage this will have is that it will be much easier to fix should something go wrong. I spent about half an hour today trying to figure out how to take a Toshiba satellite apart without destroying it just so I could clean the dust out of the CPU cooler.
                            Attached Files

Comment

you better not take this to an airport.....
                              "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

It's completed now and is powering this post!! Here are the pics.

It's definitely not an ultraportable notebook. It's much bigger and heavier than I had originally hoped for (one advantage of using a gutless wonder PSU!) and, obviously, there is no battery. The main advantage this will have is that it will be much easier to fix should something go wrong. I spent about half an hour today trying to figure out how to take a Toshiba satellite apart without destroying it just so I could clean the dust out of the CPU cooler.
                                pretty nice.
                                looks good.
                                My Computer.
                                AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman
                                  you better not take this to an airport.....
                                  That's what dad says. He reckons they might think it's a bomb.

Comment

nice!
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Just got a DVD Burner for it. That will be the last upgrade for the time being. I absolutely love this thing. From power on to desktop takes less time than my ADSL Modem takes to connect!!

Comment

I've added a PCI wireless card to it. I modded the card so that, rather than having the antenna stick out the back, it is enclosed near the monitor. I did it by attaching the antenna socket to the card using wires. I'm using the briefcase PC and the modded wireless card to power this post.

One interesting thing though (and this is NOT caused by my mod, since it was happening before I modded it) is that I only get 1 bar signal strength, even when I am only 2 or 3 feet away from the router.

Comment

Sorry to dig up an ageing thread, but I built another one. Specs are:

This motherboard
                                          Athlon 64 X2 4400+
                                          1GB RAM
                                          80GB 2.5" HDD
                                          2nd Hand DVD RW salvaged from a compaq laptop
                                          This PSU
                                          NEC AccuSync 52v Monitor
                                          XP home edition

Here are some pics with the original one on the left
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X