Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-550

I have a pair of these, purchased in April 2006 and have served me well up until this weekend when one of them failed to start (the other is kept on 24/7). Opened it up to find a couple caps leaking out of the top and a couple domed... a great candidate to fix! Luckily I have a 380W 80+ Earthwatts as a spare until I get this one up and running again. I found an old thread with a reply from PCBONEZ that lists all of the caps he used in his TPII-550, which is extremely helpful. I've worked on a few LCD monitors, but never a power supply. My questions:

1. The two big fat caps don't need to be replaced (similar to LCDs)?
    2. Other than standard ESD and safety measures, is there anything to watch out for when working on power supplies?
    3. Other than the caps, are there any other components that I need to check and potentially replace (besides the fuse)?

Pics will come tonight after I get home from work and after the little one is asleep. Thanks!

Re: Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-550

Yea, replace all Fuhijju caps
    Also don't neglect the caps used for the 5VSB circuit

These will be between the two heatsinks, small caps rated around 50v and 10>100uF
    The two big bulk caps are usually fine, in most cases they wont need to be replaced
    As for safety these caps do store AC voltage, so the peak RMS voltage can be around 300v
    So of course you need to be careful, also the heatsink these caps are close to are usually live at the same voltage...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The primary caps actually hold a DC voltage. You can check for voltage leftover by checking with a multimeter across the DC legs of the bridge rectifier (the two outer legs) but usually they discharge within minutes.

Comment

370forlife; Ahh yes, brainfart
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Attached is a pic of the insides for reference. The three bad caps (one leaking, two domed) are near the bottom of the left heatsink.

I'm having difficulty getting the board out because the lead lengths are pretty short and there's not much room to work... do people typically desolder the leads at the AC plug connection or the other end of the leads on the bottom of the PCB? Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

It's a matter of taste. I try not to unsolder the ac wires but sometimes it's inevitable cause they are really short.

Hopefully many psus have a connector on the board.

Maybe you should consider replacing also the small caps at that psu. I have an antec true power 2.0 380Watt that I fully recaped several months ago. I measured all the original caps with an esr/capacity meter and found out that 2 of the small caps (those that are near the 5vsb transformer) were completely fried, even though they didn't bulge.

Comment

From the main board. Leave the switch and socket alone. Takes 2 seconds to resolder to board when you're done.

Goodpsusearch is correct. Do a ~complete~ cap job on that PSU. The Fuhjyyu mains are also to be suspected. Make sure the -real- top of the cap is not bulged. Push down on those plastic discs on top to be sure. The upper one looks like it is up/domed.
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Yup, I would also be sure to replace the small caps, those a very important
                The two lower ones in the pic are for the 5VSB, might aswell get the others while you are at it...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  From the main board. Leave the switch and socket alone. Takes 2 seconds to resolder to board when you're done.

Goodpsusearch is correct. Do a ~complete~ cap job on that PSU. The Fuhjyyu mains are also to be suspected. Make sure the -real- top of the cap is not bulged. Push down on those plastic discs on top to be sure. The upper one looks like it is up/domed.
                  And sometimes the main caps drain without bulging.

There is also possibility that their label capacitance was not true from the beginning. I have seen that happen at crappy caps as Fuhjyyu, YC, etc.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm planning on replacing the whole set (all 15) but now it seems the two main filter caps also need to be replaced as well. I've checked and it does seem like there is bulging under the top cover on both. The markings on these two are:

Fuhjyyu 1200uF 200V -NEG- LP, dimensions are 25mm diameter and about 45mm tall.

Can someone please suggest a replacement for these? I filtered down to Panasonic TS-HC and UCC KMQ/SMQ but I'm unsure which would be the most suitable. Thanks!

P.S. Ouch -- those two large caps are $5 apiece! Considering I have two identical units that I will be recapping, it has me considering just buying a couple of new supplies...

Comment

Either series is acceptable. Both decent with SMQ having the higher ripple rating.

Also Panasonic's HB or CDE's (Cornell-Dubilier) SLP series. Ive used both with no trouble. IIRC, (you should double-check this) you can fit up to 50mm tall. Watch that diameter as you are at boards edge.

You can go down to 1,000uF and/or go up in voltage (220v or 250v) to get a good fit, if need be based on who has which one(s) in stock.
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

You could ask Big Pope what he charges for Samxon caps
                        Maybe you can cut a better deal that way...

For example: Samxon EP 1000 uF 200 V 25 mm 45 mm
                        http://www.capsmod.net/caps/

EDIT; Haha, would you look at that
                        This is thread #116000 and my post is #post116000
                        What is the chance of that?
                        Must go buy myself a lotto ticket

Comment

Excellent, thanks guys. Looks like the SMQ series is only 85C and costs $10 apiece... Since there does appear to be room for a 50mm tall cap, I will give the KMQ series a shot. Going through Big Pope isn't a bad idea except he doesn't seem to carry some of the others that I need. That, and I'm already splitting the order between Badcaps and Digikey.

One thing I noticed is they are the "snap-in" variety... will the leads be long enough to solder in (assuming the lead pitch is the same), or will I have to rig up something? I've never dealt with this type before.

Comment

Original mains caps are snap-in.

85ยฐC on -input- caps is not a problem. The originals were 85's. Yes, 105 is "preferred" but not critical here. Everything else in there should be 105's.

I found BigPope to be high on shipping to US. For a similar Antec recap, the shipping was going to be $25. Nuts for 20 caps. Nor do I care for any site that does not post prices up front. I have no intention playing email tag asking for quotes and also feeling like there is some "game" going on with prices. Like a car dealer with no prices on the sticker.

Would you please post up what you are getting from where before you order? A quick review to be sure your on the right track.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toasty. Here's the list I've put together along with a marked up picture (I believe they are all correct, some I could not completely see due to angles). Some are also under coils.

Replace [2] 1200uF 200v 25nn Fuhjyyu LP with Chemicon KMQ 1200uF/200v (565-2959-ND)
                              Replace [4] 4700uF 10v 10mm Fuhjyyu TM with Samxon RS 3300/16v (from Badcaps.net)
                              Replace [2] 3300uf 16v 10mm Fuhjyyu TM with Samxon RS 3300/16v (from Badcaps.net)
                              Replace [2] 1000uF 10v 8mm Fuhjyyu TN with Nichicon PW (493-1747-ND)
                              Replace [1] 470uf 25v 8mm Fuhjyyu TN with Panasonic FC (P10274-ND)
                              Replace [1] 47uF 35v 6.3mm Fuhjyyu TN with Panasonic FC (P11232-ND)
                              Replace [1] 220uF 16v 6.3mm with Chemicon LXZ (565-1927-ND)
                              Replace [2] 22uF 50V 105c 5mm with Panasonic FC (P10318-ND)
                              Replace [1] 10uF 50V 105c 5mm with Panasonic FC (P10316-ND)
                              Replace [1] 1uF 50V 105c 5mm with Panasonic FC (P10312-ND)

Thanks for double checking!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Change the 47uF to a 50v:
                                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10321-ND

Plus it's 6ยข cheaper

Everything else looks fine.

Have Fun!
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Agree.

Use a 47uF to a 50v and everything else looks good.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Will change the 47uF to a 50v and keep the rest the same. I had missed that modification in the other thread. Just for my understanding, what's the reasoning behind bumping up the voltage from 35v to 50v on this cap?

As a side note, I was examining the PCB last night a little more and noticed there are some minor scorch marks under the larger transformer. I'll post a picture this evening, but is this something to be concerned about?

Comment

Scorch marks might just be dried glue. There's usually not much under the main transformer, some small parts near it that may have committed suicide. Look for any burnt resistors/capacitors/diodes, etc... around or under the transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
                                        Will change the 47uF to a 50v and keep the rest the same. I had missed that modification in the other thread. Just for my understanding, what's the reasoning behind bumping up the voltage from 35v to 50v on this cap?

As a side note, I was examining the PCB last night a little more and noticed there are some minor scorch marks under the larger transformer. I'll post a picture this evening, but is this something to be concerned about?
                                        You can always go higher in voltage on caps. For example I have 47uf caps at 50 volts but not 35 volts mainly because 35 is a weird value 25 is a more common value but since the case size difference between those voltage caps are minimal at such a low capacitance I stock them at 50 volts.

Just note that at higher capacitance's the size of the cap will change noticeably so you have to make sure the higher voltage value will fit. Also don't go too high in voltage when dealing with low ESR caps like 2 or 3 voltage steps up on the datasheet since ESR will rise as the working voltage increases.

Minor darkening of the board around components that heat up like transistors or transformers is normal.
                                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM.
                                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X