No announcement yet.

Blame Abit not me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if it has been mentioned , but I did read that Abit has acknologed their bad components.
    I can verify that after I sent a \"straight to the point\" email to the CEO of Abit, the very day I came home with the bag of new caps and a new soldering iron there was an email from Abit, making an offer I could not refuse.
    Basically if I could return the three boards to Taiwan the Abit company would remanufacture the boards to new spec and offer a new warranty with them.
    Now that's a damm good offer from any company, as I say an offer one could not refuse.
    So after 2 weeks they have eventually arrived and I have now been asked what my mailing address is \"again\", for return of the boards.
    So I say thank you Mr Abit whoever you are, expect a card from me at Xmas NP.
    A happy ending for a change, please cry now !

Of course the Tyan boards I have constant dramas with have got to the point I simply refuse to pay more money to return yet another faulty S2466N-4M board, originally I bought 3, all had to be replaced, 2 within a month, the other lasted 6 months, now all the new returns have been replaced again, some three times over, they simply are garbage and I will never buy another Tyan board, EVER.

Tyan \"refuse to say what happens to them\", but as they are usually replaced it must be terminal damage, and from nothing I did to them, geez some were shut down and put away, got out some months later and beep beep beep beep >>> nothing, dead, several have gone like this, and they cost near $500 AUD each, not cheap boards, yet I have MSI and several other brands that work fine, boards I could not kill with a hammer, well maybe ?

Comment

heehhehe Figures

Some of us just have that knack when contacting big companies about their CRAP.... I had horrible luck until my recent dealing with a certain large motherboard manufacturer Surely once in a while some of us get lucky....Congrats on your accomplishment...
      Zia
      Queen of The Castle

Comment

Naaaa

On the thought bout the hammer, naaaa Just use them for target practice lol
        Queen of The Castle

Comment

Remember it went to the CEO, not the bottom feeders.

Ihad nothing to lose either way, and they hate the words \"bad publicity\" especially when the proof is there that they can not disspute, they had to do something.

I asked for the moon and got the space ship instead, oh well.

It's all good.

Comment

we got the sattelite instead of the space ship
            Queen of The Castle

Comment

Re: Blame Abit not me.

Sorry to pop in with this odd question but it's in reference to the multilayering of the board itself.
              I don't have Xray vision but I'll assume that much of the underlying stuff is ground plane?
              My concern is being rough with the board and overheating the joints.
              Not knowing whats under those layers and then literally yanking on the caps has me worried.
              I've been mostly successful but recently failed at recapping.
              Jim

Comment

I don't have specific knowledge of this, but it is common practice for some inner layers to be voltage and ground planes. This makes for lower voltage drops in those high current lines. [i]However,[i] sandwiching traces for noise sensitive signal lines between ground and/or voltage planes can have a shielding effect.

The short answer to the question is that ripping out the through-plating in the holes when removing dead and suspect caps can break important connections.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

While I was searching for additional information on my Abit KT7A-RAID blown C3 and bloating C4-C6 caps, I stumbled across this site:

http://www.abitsettlement.com/

I had mentioned this cap issue cried out for a class action lawsuit and I've seen several other people say so. Apparently, someone did it for us and this is the result:

The Class Representative alleges in this Action that ABIT Computer (USA) Corporation ("ABIT") manufactured, marketed, and sold select models of its motherboards containing an allegedly defective component, namely, a capacitor, which was allegedly prone to failure. ABIT has denied and continues to deny these allegations and has asserted a number of affirmative defenses.

You are a member of the proposed Settlement class (the "Class"), if you are within the United States and you purchased one of the following specified ABIT Motherboard models during the period January 1, 1999 to the present: BE6, BE6II, BF6, BX-133, KA7, KA7-100, SE6, VH6, VH6II, VH6T, VP6, KT7-RAID, KT7A, KT7A-RAID, VL6, VT6X4, SA6R, AND BX133-RAID. However, the Settlement Class shall not include any persons or entities purchasing ABIT Motherboards for resale purposes. To view a detailed Notice of Pendency of Class Action and Proposed Settlement, please click here.

As part of the proposed Settlement, Class Members who submit a timely Claim Form will be entitled to send their motherboard into ABIT or one of its repair facilities and have their motherboard repaired at no cost to the Class Member. The repairs and all associated costs, including parts, labor, and shipping, will be paid for by ABIT. In addition, ABIT will extend the warranty on the repairs and on the capacitors for a period of two years following the repairs. Class Members who have already incurred direct out-of-pocket expenses as a result of the faulty capacitor on the motherboard are entitled to receive reimbursement from ABIT for the repairs directly related to the faulty capacitor and all associated costs to the repairs including parts, labor, and shipping provided such costs are reasonable and verifiable. Your Claim Form must be received no later than February 15, 2006 in order for you to take advantage of the benefits of the Settlement. To obtain a Claim Form, please click here. To view a sample claim form, please click here.

If you do not wish to remain a part of the Class, you must submit your request for exclusion from the Class in writing so that is received no later than September 6, 2005. For additional information regarding exclusion from the Class and the steps necessary to request exclusion, please click here.

If you want to remain in the Class, but you object to the terms of the proposed Settlement, you must file your objection in writing so that it is received by the Court no later than September 6, 2005. Any member of the Class that objects to the proposed Settlement terms and submits a timely objection to the Court by the date indicated above can, but is not required to, appear at the Fairness Hearing, either in person or through his own attorney, to comment on or object to the proposed Settlement. For further information regarding the process for objecting, please click here.

The Court will hold a Fairness Hearing at the Rene C. Davidson Alameda County Courthouse 1225 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA 94612 at 3:00 PM on September 20, 2005 to determine whether the Settlement is fair, reasonable, and adequate and should be finally approved.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR THE CLERK OF THE COURT FOR INFORMATION REGARDING THIS SETTLEMENT.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT DATES:
                  Preliminary Approval Hearing

November 15, 2004

Last day to request exclusion (Opt Out)

Received by September 6, 2005

Fairness Hearing

September 20, 2005 - 3:00 PM

Last day to submit objection

Received by September 6, 2005

Last day to submit a Claim Form

Postmarked by February 15, 2006
                  This is the right thing for them to do, even though they had to do it at the end of a loaded gun of lawyers. I'll definately buy another Abit now. I can appreciate that they couldn't know for sure that these capacitors would fail and it was a bit (hehe) out of their control. But the multiple revisions of the motherboard (v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, v1.3) suggest they knew about it but denied it for a while.

At first thought this might seem to screw badcaps.net out of money they could earn selling cap kits and performing repairs. However, the settlement terms indicate badcaps.net or anyone else could still perform the repairs and the owner of the motherboard can receive money from abit to pay for it. I don't know how much they will consider to be fair and reasonable and sending it to abit increases the warranty by two years, but it seems this could be a win no matter which route you take.

I still want to buy a capkit for this geforce4mx420 with the canicon 6.3v 1000uF caps. I'd be interested in some diagnostic and repair tools. Maybe badcaps.net could setup a shopping cart system reselling the tools they recommend. Yeah, it'd just be a commission on the sale but I'd like to reward this site's owners for helping me identify the problems and offer solutions.

Comment

Working...
                  X