Intel 915G (dell sx280 & gx280) Custom video driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel 915G (dell sx280 & gx280) Custom video driver

Ok, I ran into a bit shit sandwich that I had to take a big bite out of yesterday. I sold a Dell SX280 to a friend of mine, and I mated it up with a Dell IN1910N 19" 16:9 widescreen monitor. Low & behold, the driver for the onboard Intel video doesn't support its native resolution of 1366x768. 1280x768 looked ok on it, but in my mind, it just wasn't right...... It's been years since I've had to write/hack a driver to make something like this work, but after a few hours of tracking down this monitor's modeline and converting it to hexadecimal, and then hacking it into the driver, I got a quick refresher course on the topic... The driver I used was the latest driver provided by Dell from their site. Before you ask, yes, I tried the latest driver from Intel as well, to no avail.

Anyway, since I went through all the hell of making this, I figured I'd share it with everyone. Nobody needs to go through the 2 hours of bullshit I went through to make this...so here it is. This driver will work on any Dell SX280, GX280 (thats using the onboard video), and any other Dell board using this video chip.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1342499453

Just unRAR it, and execute the setup.exe like you would do for a normal install, nothing special is required to make this driver install or work right, 1366x768 will be in the resolution setting slider. This driver should work for other model monitors using this resolution for their native as well, but bear in mind, it hasn't been tested on any other monitor except the Dell IN1910N (which it works beautiful on). Its written for win2k and XP pro.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Intel 915G (dell sx280 & gx280) Custom video driver

long time ago adding resolutions boiled down to adding number(s) to driver's ini file...
    still the same?
    (adding the monitor model aside)

Comment

^
      Yes, still basically the same. The hex conversion of the monitor's native resolution's modeline is what was a pain in the ass, as the string needs to be in hex before added to the INF. Even more of a pain in the ass was actually finding the monitor's modeline, as moninfo utility wouldn't bring it up for some reason. The actual modification of the driver only took a few seconds.....it was all the BS that had to be done in order to make that modification.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Hi Topcat
        I have tried opening the RAR archive to get to the setup.exe file but the folder that is unRAR'd is empty. RAR file shows a packed size of 3914KB
        Using Powerarchiver is unRAR the file.
        XP Pro

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help in advance

SS
        Last edited by msasasgs; 03-25-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Opens fine with WinRAR here.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3
            Opens fine with WinRAR here.
            ...and WinZip and 7Zip...
            veritas odium parit

Comment

ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Well NOW i get a 403 as well. Could have to do with moving to the new server perhaps?
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yup I get a 403 as well.

Comment

403 here too
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

fixed
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

when someone gave me this toshiba laptop, the wifi card is actually a realtek 8187 USB chip /w a usb-pcie controller and they changed the hardware ID to 8197. With XP, this did not work. I had to DL the latest 8187 from a realtek site (not the offical one) and hack the HWID's. worked perfectly.

i've heard of hacking resolutions in inf file, I think I actually did it once or twice many many years ago.
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Entered By Mistake
                          Last edited by henwy; 08-20-2012, 04:54 AM. Reason: Human Error - Hack is Ingenious

Comment

Working...
                          X