Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG ! .. Asus Using Non Japan Solid Caps ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMG ! .. Asus Using Non Japan Solid Caps ??

>sometimes it makes a buzzing sound as soon as i try to play something.. have to turn off the PC to stop it.. really annoying and not a driver or incompatibility problem

>i'd rather have no sound at all than using crappy onboard sound"cards"

when was the last time you actually tried onboard sound?
    also, in your situation of "proper" card actually not working everytime it makes awfully lot of sense not to try onboard.

onboard on my asus p5k-v sounds much better than sb pci 128 i had before...
    MUCH better.

and with onboard of my old mobo (msi 6337) i didn't hear any difference.
    so all this talk about onboard being crap is...crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
      well.. i've got lots of IDE HDDs floating around here...
      2x 250GB WD, 320GB Hitachi, 120GB Hitachi, 3x80GB, 5x40GB, 7x20GB
      Well, the 250 and 320 GB should be used as they're recent, others are good for P4 or slower computer.

that PCIe x1 IDE controller won't really help because there's only 1 additional IDE port...
      my PCI IDE Controller has 2 Ports (for 4 HDDs/optical drives).
      Good point: unfortunately PCIe IDE controller with 2 ports are rare. However I found one of them: a Startech card with the Jmicron JMB366 controller offering 2 Sata-II and 2 Ide ports. The drawback is price: circa $50.

i guess it would be better spending money on a new soundcard than on an PCIe IDE Controller. (especially because i already have 3 of them for PCI)
      i'd rather have no sound at all than using crappy onboard sound"cards"
      Discrete cards are better than same time onboard ones, I agree, but both improve over time: nowadays chips are adequate, but manifacturers may skimp a bit on caps, input filters and jacks in onboard ones. Mid to high end motherboards have decent onboard sound, higher end are shipped with a discrete card: you get what you've paid for.
      Try the onboard sound before buying an used Sound Blaster which can boast performances similar to the onboard one and, even worse, relies on Creative drivers: I had bad experiences with my old PCI 128 and Creative drivers under 98 and 2000 a few years ago (it crashed if I recorded for longer than 1 hour or if PCI latency was below 32) and, according to comments, the company did not improve their drivers even on today products for XP and Vista. SB Live and Audigy 1 & 2 cards can use the kx drivers, right, but if you really care about audio quality you should get a better card: M-Audio, Motu and others.

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

>or if PCI latency was below 32

via or intel chipset on the mobo u used?

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
          via or intel chipset on the mobo u used?
          Nope: Sis 5598 on a Compaq proprietary motherboard, driving a K6-II 333 MHz. The computer still runs stable though slow for today standards, I installed various devices over time (the SB PCI 128, a 3dfx Voodoo 3 PCI, an Ati Rage 128 replacing the Voodoo, a Conexant HCF softmodem, a Fast Ethernet card), tweaked all of them to squeeze the fraction of % boost available and had problem only with the Creative card. Quite strange ...

Zandrax
          Have an happy life.

Comment

This whole Gigabyte slamming ASUS is bullshit. No one I know who, even those who push their rigs on liquid nitrogen have EVER had a problem with those caps. If anything blows out it is the 270uF,16V Fujitsu near the EPS power connector. That is the only one I've seen blow up.
            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
            Zippy GSM-6600P
            Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
            Abit IP35Pro
            ATi HD4870

Comment

Bullshit is right.
              If you want an example board with bad caps all you have to do is install some.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Yes , that is absolutely true. I have installed 4 different sound cards and I have 4 different computers , and there are only 2 sound cards that have made me take notice of any measured sound improvements. I now use a Aopen XEAR 7.1 optical surround sound card (PCI). It provides crystal clear sound with absolutely no sound interruptions from anything internal or external (with or without optical).

The best part about the 7.1 XEAR is that you can change the "crossover" networking functions so that you hear "back" sounds in the "rear" and the full spectrum of possible changes. That is what tweaking is all about , changing what you want to change without sacrificing anything on performance (especially complete sound loss).

The other card I noticed is the Yamaha amplifier in the Hercules Muxe XL , not as good as the Aopen XEAR , but it does improve the power and adjustment capabilities with it's many mixers and instramental capabilities. The Hercules will allow you to mix your own music from recorded instraments of all kinds and adjust their beats and timings. Karaoke and "scratch" on 2 virtual turntables is also on the Hercules.

The rest are simply "onboard" VIA chipset sounds. And even they are clear and somewhat adjustable. Even though they can be tempermental if your system has a problem somewhere. Most of the problems with sound is as a result of bad capacitors causing intermittent power supply to the RAM memory chips. Each time your RAM chips are shut off from power , they dump what is in their memory. Therefore if you have "shorts" running in your capacitors , the sound drivers can have a problem staying in memory , and if they do this often enough , WIN XP dumps the drivers for your onboard sound , resolving the current issues of power interferences.

It is therefore very important to pay close attention to the fact that if you install a high-powered sound card , it will require extra stability and take more power from your PSU than any onboard sound setup , and can lead to exposing problems in the power supply circuits (capacitors).

Comment

I have been using the VIA chipset drivers on my old Compaq 500mhz computer with a PNY / Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 since 2001 with no problems whatsoever. It actually has made me angry a few times to see that it has absolutely no troubles at all.

But , I am also using a pair of 256mb Corsair matched memory cards as well. It seems that matching is the important thing , not necessarily looking for high - end addons that may have matching incapabilities. It may be a good consideration to upgrade the PSU on any system to 500watts before adding any quality soundcard for the entire system's future benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                    the red fujitsu (F logo mentioned above) and some tiny ones
                    That's what my P5QL Pro has.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I like Gigabyte - they go in and they work for me and I've been using them non-stop since 2007 with the occasional hiatus.

Foxconn - nah.
                      ASUS - no 3 pin power LED header, SATA cables shorter than the ones provided by Gigabyte, some extra random driver required. They work fine, just extra hassle that I don't get with Gigabyte.

I have had failures with Gigabyte boards, mostly caps though. Usually KZG or old Nichion HM. There was one exception with an LGA775 CPU socket which made me chase my tail for quite some time until I swapped the board out. Sent it to Gigabyte (their UK returns process is very good in my experience) and they said 'CPU socket' we've fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                        This whole Gigabyte slamming ASUS is bullshit. No one I know who, even those who push their rigs on liquid nitrogen have EVER had a problem with those caps. If anything blows out it is the 270uF,16V Fujitsu near the EPS power connector. That is the only one I've seen blow up.
                        Pushing CPUs on nitrogen is really damaging to the board. Usually board lasts for about 20 to 50 hours of hard benching before fets blow away, that is fully isolated from any condensation.

Comment

Working...
                        X