Counterfeit Hakko products on eBay!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterfeit Hakko products on eBay!!!

Counterfeit products on eBay really isn't anything new, so no surprise there, I know. I bought a bunch of soldering iron tips a few months ago and they didn't last long and really didn't work good. The solder would run up the tip making them useless. I didn't realize they were fakes until today though. I just thought maybe I'd overheated them early on and ruined them. Now that I looked into it, I can see that it's obvious that they are fake. They don't even say "Made in Japan" under the Hakko engraving. I just ordered replacements directly from Hakko (hakkousa.com), and a FX888D, and I think they were actually cheaper. I think I'm done buying tools on eBay.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: Counterfeit Hakko products on eBay!!!

The USA has an abundance of reputable online and physical distributors that sell genuine products reasonable prices with reasonable shipping costs.

Buying anything off ebay usually means NO WARRANY despite any claims by the seller. Ebay is NOT AN AUTHORIZED reseller in the eyes of most manufacturers.

Ebay can be a good means to purchase certain items, but if you want the real stuff, look elsewhere.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

They got me with the authentic looking packaging. They won't get me again. I'm just glad it was only tips and not some pricey equipment.

Comment

This is a useful post as I am looking into buying Hakko myself.

I sell on Ebay and have a UK VAT registered company so I may contact Hakko and see if they will let me be a retailer.

Comment

they probably wont because of these guys
          http://www.dancap.co.uk/
          expensive pain though if you ever try buying from them.

all the people in the u.k. i know who needed Hakko stuff went to batterfly.
          http://www.batterfly.com/shop/hakko_fx-888d
          Last edited by stj; 06-28-2015, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I've spoken to them before. I just need to steel myself before diving in and spending £135+

I've always been on the brink of learning electronics and did my first repair through some excellent advice gained through this forum so I am chuffed with myself but it is hrs to justify buying nice equipment when you're learning.

Why are dancap an expensive pain?

Comment

for one thing, they charge the same in £ that batterfly charge in €
              for another, you cant just go online with paypal.

personally i would aim for a T12 iron - fakes are perfect btw.
              and this guy's controller.
              http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum...p=61175#p61175
              the fake FX951 controllers are junk - unlike the irons.

watch this.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u588...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothgar View Post
                This is a useful post as I am looking into buying Hakko myself.

I sell on Ebay and have a UK VAT registered company so I may contact Hakko and see if they will let me be a retailer.
                I also sell on eBay, and as a result, it's naturally my first place to look when I need something. Everything you could think of is there, so it's really a matter of convenience. But, with tools, it's a real gamble. I ended up paying about $15 more for my FX-888D than I would have on eBay, but I know it's real. Now I'm thinking about an FM-206, but at $1,800, that won't likely be in my shop for at least a year. I can dream though.

You can find all the authorized distributors here.
                http://www.hakko.com/world_network.html

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                  Counterfeit products on eBay really isn't anything new, so no surprise there, I know. I bought a bunch of soldering iron tips a few months ago and they didn't last long and really didn't work good. The solder would run up the tip making them useless. I didn't realize they were fakes until today though. I just thought maybe I'd overheated them early on and ruined them. Now that I looked into it, I can see that it's obvious that they are fake. They don't even say "Made in Japan" under the Hakko engraving. I just ordered replacements directly from Hakko (hakkousa.com), and a FX888D, and I think they were actually cheaper. I think I'm done buying tools on eBay.
                  Hey, there.

Were the pix of those tips stock photos, or were they ones of the supposed actual/genuine item?

Just wondering if they used a (semi?) legitimate image in order to dump their junk...
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Yeah, they were stock photos. It was definitely the picture that got me. The bevel tips don't even have the indent, so they are about useless.

Comment

When it comes to certain electronics you should only buy from authorized distributors

The world we live in is not as simple, and research must be done

Amazon also allows prime for sellers, so always make sure its from amazon directly not a 3rd party

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                        Yeah, they were stock photos. It was definitely the picture that got me. The bevel tips don't even have the indent, so they are about useless.
                        I love it...

I've used the following for Weller TCP and W60 tips with good luck:
                        www.ebay.com/usr/fossilman238
                        www.ebay.com/usr/danimo1
                        www.ebay.com/usr/marvac_2001

Would've used Mouser, but out of stock at the time; didn't want to waste an order just for those.
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
                          When it comes to certain electronics you should only buy from authorized distributors

The world we live in is not as simple, and research must be done

Amazon also allows prime for sellers, so always make sure its from amazon directly not a 3rd party
                          And it's not a simple as tarnishing all of Evay with the same brush. You do have rights on there to get your money back VERY easily understood the Money Back Guarantee Scheme as you do on Amazon.

Neither channel can scrutinise all the listings but do have strong protection in place.

However it doesn't deter unscrupulous sellers if buyers are uninformed and do not complain.

Do you know the difference between buying from Amazon and an Amazon Marketplace seller? Most don't but essentially you could still be buying a counterfeit item on Amazon if you don't know the difference.

It's all down to the seller ultimately. We're a Marketplace Seller.

Personally I would risk buying Hakko from the other side of the world if I knew what a genuine one looked like in terms of term and detailing as to send it back costs the seller the return postage under the Money Back Guarantee Scheme.

Funnily enough, my partner bought her mother a Barbour breathable jacket which arrived yesterday from a seller on Ebay. She paid £55 so not cheap but not full retail and it is fake.

I told her to return it and we'll go to their Factory shop in South Shields to get one for a day out.

The detailing is not 100% but the fact it had a barcode on the internal pocket label and a name of the supposed jacket made it easy to search the net for fe barcode. Barbour don't put barcodes in their jackets.

A ladies wax breathable would start with LWB or LWX for a ladies wax. Change the L for an M for men's.

Moral of the story you can never be too careful when trying to source a bargain and KNOW YOUR GOODS!

Comment

Working...
                          X