MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance Thornton
    You might want to find a shop that has a POST card. I believe that it must be PCI for this application. That may narrow down the problem if you can't find anything visually. Good luck!
    How much do those cards run?

This system worked fine for several years and suddenly went dead some time ago. I think it might have been because all the dust that collected around the PSU may have caused it to overheat. The PSU was right next to the CPU and it's fan was the only active cooling device in the whole system.

The capacitors seem fine except the one on the lower right (see pict) is buldging very slightly. I'm not sure if it's significant to indicate a problem.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Newbie; 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Newbie : i dont think you need a post card to diagnose that problem. Are those all chhsi caps? chhsi = crap. I have recapped several msi boards with chhsi caps. What are the caps around the cpu? are they Jackcon? crap also

caps can either fail visibly, like they might bulge or even leak at the top or bottom. They can also fail inside and it is not seen from their appearance that they have failed.

If the board is dead most probably one or more of the caps have failed open, preventing power from reaching part of the board. In the unlikely event that something else is the problem. a board with even one bulging chhsi cap is not a good idea to use.

you must replace all capacitors 1000uf and above which looks to be about 10, that is not too many at all. MSI boards are also easy to work with so it is a nice beginners board. After replacing the caps the board will be perfect.

what is the card in pci1, is it your NIC? it is full of stone caps. crap also. prolly be ok though. If you require another NIC sometime in the future i recommend intel pro100mt or pro1000mt or otherwise 3com. cheap and great.

whilst temperature is a factor in capacitor life and dust on heatsinks raises temperature, even in a well ventilated case chhsi caps on motherboards will fail early.

if your gonna recap the board, we are here to assist. please read the FAQs also for some info.
      Last edited by willawake; 05-18-2005, 03:53 PM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Bullitt : what is your camera, it is taking nice macro

Comment

I would go one further.

Being MSI, they will almost all be Chhsi caps.

Certainly replace them all - even the 470uF ones. I have seen a number of these fail, whether visibly or measured with an ESR meter.

Chhsi are rock bottom crapcaps so don't fool around. Even if they haven't failed yet, you can bet they will soon enough.

Comment

Re: MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

I have one of these systems that has gone dead also. Have looked at the caps and they all look good. I have tried all the normal trouble shooting and the system wont power on at all. The cpu, memory and psu all work in another system, I even took the board out of the case and still no luck. I have been reading this forum for over a year and since this seems to be a good board for a novice to recap does anyone think this could be the problem? I have already removed 11 caps,
            4 Jackcon 2700uf 6.3v sz 018
            2 Chhsi 1500uf 10v WG (M)
            3 Chhsi 1000uf 6.3v HK (M) 0116
            2 Chhsi 470uf 16v HK (M)
            Is this board worth trying to recap?
            Also I noticed when I was removing the old caps that some of them seemed to be dried up, a brown powder came out of a couple of them. Is this normal?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by thomasb0110; 05-31-2005, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Have looked at the caps and they all look good.
              looks can deceive my friend. inside they are probably dried up crap.

yeah i would recommend having a go at recapping it. if you dont get a boot after recapping let us know to assist further.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                Bullitt : what is your camera, it is taking nice macro
                Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

My camera is an old Sony Cybershot DSC-P50. It's only 2.1mega pixels but the optics are really good and the macro function works excellent.

I just finished replacing the capacitors on the MS-6312 board tonight with Nichicom HE series from Digikey and the board works perfectly now.

Comment

glad to hear that. congrats!
                  days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

good work Bullitt!!!!

Comment

Thanks Badcaps,

I tried to fix one of these for a friend.
                      Came in a Gateway Flex 933c (MSI MS-6312 (Brookings) w/printer port).
                      After a 3 weeks of trying every DOS & Windows versions I could find, I gave up to told friend it was shot, since DOS worked when he asked if I wanted the system I said yes.
                      Now, 3 months later I found Badcaps.net.
                      2 of the 2700uf Jackon capacitors had rust on top, all 4 were round on top.
                      I replaced all 4 of the 2700's, got replacements from Newark In One which I got from the FAQ (no minimum to buy, 2 day delivery).
                      System is up and running smooth (for a P3-933). Since its my #3 system (belongs to my daughter), it does the job.

Thanks again, Tom
                      ECS 865PE-A +HT
                      Intel Pentium 4 2.80 800MHz FSB Socket 478
                      2x256 x256 Dual Channel PC3200 RAM
                      256MB Sapphire Radeon 9550 (AGP8X)
                      Maxtor 80Gb, CDRW, 16xDVD
                      Antec 400W "True" Power
                      Windows XP w/SP2

Comment

nice to hear success stories, well done

Comment

Thanks Badcaps,

I had also tried to fix one of these for a friend. As I said in an earlier post the system was dead. Switched out power supply, cpu, memory, the works even had my friend get a Gateway tech on the line to confirm the board was dead. Well sorry for the bad picture but as you can see it now will boot, I was even able to get Windows 98 installed with no errors. Right now I have a celeron 600 in it just in case something goes wrong.

Looks can deceive my friend. inside they are probably dried up crap.
                          Willawake you were right they were dried up.
                          Thanks again
                          Attached Files

Comment

just had one come in at the store that ran long enough with the 2 chhsi in the vrm bad that they were black and the vrm blown up.
                            at least i get to mine it for the usb stack and stuff before it hits the can.

Comment

anyone know where to get a kit for these boards? I'v looked all over but no luck yet. i need 2 1500uF 10v 10mm,3 1000uF 6.3v 8mm,4 2700uF 6.3v 10mm,5 470uF 10v 6mm,and 2 470uF 16v 8mm caps to replace them all? thanx in advance

Chuck
                              GOD,GUNS,AND GUTTS MADE AMERICA FREE!!!

Comment

Contact TopCat on this website...
                                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I've sent him costom cap orders at least 3 times now and nothing? I don't understand? I realy would like to try to recap this board but I need the caps or at least the prices of them so I can see if it is cost effective?Any help would be appreciated thanx in advance.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Charleymarbles
                                    I've sent him costom cap orders at least 3 times now and nothing? I don't understand? I realy would like to try to recap this board but I need the caps or at least the prices of them so I can see if it is cost effective?Any help would be appreciated thanx in advance.

Chuck
                                    I dont recall receiving anything from you. PM me what you need.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Hey TopCat did you get my PM? just wondering I need to make a decision on this board as far as if I'm gonna recap or just spend the $50 on a direct replacement that will unfourtunatly prolly do the same thing in a year

Chuck

Comment

Anyone ever find a motherboard that would replace the MSI MS-6312 (Used in Gateway Flex System w/ printer port) that seems to be a piece of junk. I have two of them with the same cap problem you all have been talking about, and wonder if replacing the whole motherboard would be less frustrating, (but not replacing it with the same piece of junk).

Comment

Originally posted by parunner
                                          Anyone ever find a motherboard that would replace the MSI MS-6312 (Used in Gateway Flex System w/ printer port) that seems to be a piece of junk. I have two of them with the same cap problem you all have been talking about, and wonder if replacing the whole motherboard would be less frustrating, (but not replacing it with the same piece of junk).
                                          Why not just recap them? From what others have said, they run very well once they have good-quality capacitors installed. It will probably cost less to buy new caps (and a soldering iron and solder bulb, if you don't already have them) than to buy two motherboards (which will most likely also have bad caps, unless you're lucky enough to find boards that someone has already recapped).

Comment

Working...
                                          X