HP w19e - Control Board Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP w19e - Control Board Button

I have an HP w19e that works great except for something to do with the control board. There are 5 buttons on the control board - AUTO, VOL -, POWER, VOL +, MENU. Sometimes the control board works OK, sometimes not. The OSD will show up on screen automatically, the power button doesn't work, can't change between menus, etc. Through trial and error, I have narrowed the malfunctioning button to the VOL +. With VOL + unplugged, all other buttons function normally and as expected.

The question I have, is there a chance that the actual button is malfunctioning or could it be something else? I have another button available from a scrapped out monitor and could replace it if that could be the cause.

I can post pictures of the power board, logic board, and / or control board if they would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Re: HP w19e - Control Board Button

Button is just a switch. Probably the switch mechanism broke internally and is closing the circuit, locking out other button signals from having an effect.

Manually complete the circuit by using multimeter probes on current measurement mode. Do it like the switch would, momentarily complete the circuit and see if it has the desired effect. Remove probes and try other buttons' function.

If that seems beyond your ability, go ahead and put the replacement switch in then try it.

Comment

Re: HP w19e - Control Board Button

Completing the circuit manually worked as excepted, so I went ahead and swapped out the button with one from the scrapped monitor (a bit difficult removing 5 solder points in close proximity on a narrow pcb). I raised a portion of the trace while removing the original button, but I completed the circuit with some small wire soldered to the trace to complete the circuit.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X