Troubleshooting a Viewsonic vx1940w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting a Viewsonic vx1940w

When switched on, there is a buzzing noise, the desktop is visible for a couple of seconds then display goes blank. The blue power LED remains permanently on.

Can anyone tell me if this fault is definitely a capacitor issue? The two 35v 220uf capacitors are slightly raised/domed.

Cheers,
    Mitch

Re: Troubleshooting a Viewsonic vx1940w

Originally posted by mitch101 View Post
    When switched on, there is a buzzing noise, the desktop is visible for a couple of seconds then display goes blank. The blue power LED remains permanently on.

Can anyone tell me if this fault is definitely a capacitor issue? The two 35v 220uf capacitors are slightly raised/domed.

Cheers,
    Mitch
    The symptoms are known as 'Two seconds to black'. They have a number of possible causes, one of which is bad caps. Replace the caps with name brand low ESR caps (I prefer Panasonic FM, FR, or FC series) and proceed from there.

It would be a Very Good Idea to replace all the electrolytic caps on the power supply / inverter with the possible exception of the large (100uF?, 450 volt one).

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

ok thanks for reply.

Buying a new power supply board costs about the same as buying a soldering kit and caps separately. I'll get a new board and report back for the benefit of anyone who has this problem in future with his monitor.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by mitch101 View Post
        ok thanks for reply.

Buying a new power supply board costs about the same as buying a soldering kit and caps separately. I'll get a new board and report back for the benefit of anyone who has this problem in future with his monitor.

Mitch
        There is one practical problem with that approach - the new board will have the same low quality caps and will fail sooner rather than later.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I just had the same problem as Mitch101. I replaced the two 220uf 35V caps with nichicon caps, and I am up and running right now on my viewsonic vx1940W. Thanks alot Plainbill, just saved my butt.

Comment

Working...
          X