Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix ATI 9700 GPU

hi guys,

i have a acer TM3200 model laptop when i power up the screen got distore i believe the onboard graphic card causes the problem, anyway to fix it??

Re: How to fix ATI 9700 GPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97nxZwHG5bA

Comment

thanks for your reply. is it possible to use the hot air gun to blow the GPU without removing graphic chip?

Comment

Yes it is possible, you do not need to remove the chip. Do use a lot of flux tho. But, a 9700 is waaaay too old to suffer from RoHS solder problems - it's likely the RAM chips around it instead, so try and heat up those first before you attempt the GPU itself.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

hello bro,

any idea to how remove this? can it be done by use hot air gun?
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes it can be done with just a hot air gun, but you will likely need to reball it afterwards, don't expect for the solder to sit nicely in its place when you remove it.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

use bga rework.... reheat the chip

Comment

too bad i don't have a BGA rework station, any idea what's the temperture to set for the hot air gun?

Comment

Looks like the ATI Mobility 9700 has about 700 lands which is way too many for a hot air gun. You need to pull a similarly sized BGA chip off a junk motherboard with a hot air gun to get an idea of what you're up against. Attempting SMD work without some practice on junk will surely lead to disaster.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

hi bro,

so you're saying that there's no way to cure the GPU using hot air gun? from what i see from the chip the GPU memory(64 RAM) is just sitting on top the GPU then follow by a Aluminum cover...

Originally posted by severach View Post
                    Looks like the ATI Mobility 9700 has about 700 lands which is way too many for a hot air gun. You need to pull a similarly sized BGA chip off a junk motherboard with a hot air gun to get an idea of what you're up against. Attempting SMD work without some practice on junk will surely lead to disaster.

Comment

TO all guru,

can you tell me what's this?i guess is a preheater for PCD board, am i right?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, you can use it with a hot air station to remove the ATI chip.

Comment

The old GPU will come off with the hot air gun at 350*C or more but presumably lhock98 intends to put the one in the package back on and that won't be happening with any hot air gun.
                          sig files are for morons

Comment

hi ablacon64,

so with this digital infrared preheater and hot air gun i can remove any chips easily, right? i dont have to buy expensive BGA rework station, am i right to saying so?this digital infrared preheater is selling cheap from china the cost is USD 60 only.

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
                            Yes, you can use it with a hot air station to remove the ATI chip.

Comment

This guy used an SMT Hot Air Rework station with adjustable temps you can find a fairly nice one that works without issue on ebay for like 100 bux or so ... I've used them and they seem to work quite well to my amazement but the cost is subject to change from the time of this post I do know that a year ago you couldn't touch them for double that price. Supply and demand I guess.
                              Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

are you refering to this type of soldering machine?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X