Weller WSP80 on HQ rework machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weller WSP80 on HQ rework machine

Is it possible to use Weller WSP80 soldering pencil on this SMD rework soldering station?

The connector are the same and it is 24V.

Only difference is that machine is 50W and iron is 80W

Sorry if this is stupid question
    ...the quieter you become the more you are able to hear...

Re: Weller WSP80 on HQ rework machine

Actually this is a very interesting question.

What is expected to happen in this case, is the machine to damage their electronics because they are not capable to deliver the proper amount of energy for the specific electrical load.

Another prediction is that possibly the machine is designed with an electrical tolerance of 25% over the 50W that is 62,5W.
    but even so, still is not enough to feed this 80W load.

Comment

What will actually happen is it will work fine but the life expectancy of the components inside the unit will be reduced. Perhaps the fuse will blow after some usage, maybe a few hours. Or the triac/MOSFET will fail causing the heating element to stick on permanently.

The 25% over-rating you mention is not part of any industry standard I have ever heard of. If I design a product with a 50W power supply, it's going to be rated to operate at 50W. That means that it will output 50W at 70°C ambient (or whatever might be the maximum rated temperature) and minimum AC line voltage. NOW, it could be that when I'm designing it I decide to size the components for 55W... but I could just as well sized them for 51W. And, it'll probably turn out, that under normal usage (room temperature) it will do more output than it's rated with no lifespan issues. But, it's not -rated- to do so, and thus cannot be guaranteed to survive.
      Last edited by tom66; 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

In every power supply the crucial part is the transformer and if the load is 50W and the transformer is at 50W, in about an hour it would get hot as volcano.
        Therefore most reliable devices are designed by adding a tolerance +25% so the transformer to run cooler.

Either way this is a costly Weller and there is no room for acrobatics and experiments.

Comment

There is no industry standard of 25% additional margin. As stated previously, the device is rated to operate correctly and reliably at 50W loading. Applying additional load may reduce the reliability.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            There is no industry standard of 25% additional margin. As stated previously.............
            What you stated previously was generic crap talk.
            Print this thread and show it in one of your professors so to get his opinion of who is right or wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X