Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > ECS - EpoX - Gigabyte
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Hondaman
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: East New Albany, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Gigabyte GA-970 UD3

My board is hanging randomly (running Win7 Pro / Ubuntu). Sometimes it just restarts as if the computer were turned off and then right back on. Other times Win7 locks up hard, and only the reset button (or power button) works. Lockups happen at random times, it does not matter how long the computer has been running.

My PSU is a Seasonic M12-II Bronze Evo edition. It is probably in use for only a year. I have a UPS that is only a few months old, and a surge suppressor on the circuit breaker panel in my house.

Right now, the board has never failed in Ubuntu, but I have only run Ubuntu for a short time (1%) compared to Windows (99%).

Which is more likely - a PSU problem or a motherboard problem? I don't overclock and have plenty of ventilation.

System:
Gigabyte 970A-UD3 motherboard, 16 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 8150 CPU
Original BARAM CPU cooler with generic fan
Gigabyte 6770 PCI-E video (completely passive cooled with giant fins, but I added a 120mm fan)
some wifi card, maybe ASUS PCI-N15
Samsung 850 EVO 480GB SSD
(I think I have a Sound Blaster AUDIGY2 plugged in but it is not really being used)

These lockups and restarts began only a day or two ago. Any help is greatly appreciated - I can't keep up my financial records if my spreadsheet (and computer) randomly freezes!

EDIT: I thought this was related to upgrading my router, but that doesn't make sense. Router failure would make Windows throw a 'network not reachable' message. I thought a recent Firefox update could cause this, but that that would still let me go to Win7 task manager and kill FF. And since some of the freezes were restarts, this points to a problem bigger than the OS - a hardware problem.

Last edited by Hondaman; 10-24-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
MixMasta

City & State: Shelby Twp., MI
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
Default Re: Gigabyte GA-970 UD3

Run Memtest86+ a few passes and report back your results.
MixMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Hondaman
Badcaps Veteran

Thank you! I'll try that and post the results. It might take a week because of my busy schedule, but I'll run it.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
Hondaman
Badcaps Veteran

I switched from the Seasonic PSU to the OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600. The lockups and reboots stopped happening. I ran memtest for 12+ hours. When I returned to my house, memtest said the memory had passed.

This weekend I'll wire in one more exhaust fan, near the VRM area. Then I'll put the cover back on the tower case.

I should not have lockups from a high quality PSU. But I am glad we found the problem.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Fast Alpha

City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaman View Post
I switched from the Seasonic PSU to the OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600. The lockups and reboots stopped happening. I ran memtest for 12+ hours. When I returned to my house, memtest said the memory had passed.

This weekend I'll wire in one more exhaust fan, near the VRM area. Then I'll put the cover back on the tower case.

I should not have lockups from a high quality PSU. But I am glad we found the problem.

Thanks!
I got that PSU.
Fast Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote